Michele Scarponi dead - accident out training this morning

carbon29er

Another unnecessary and very sad waste of life. I'm in shock.

As bike riders we are so vulnerable on the roads. 

Astana statement: http://www.astanaproteam.kz/modules.php?name=astana&page=news&id=711

PRESS RELEASE ON MICHELE SCARPONI

Michele died in the morning while he was training.

This is a tragedy too big to be written.

Our athlete Michele Scarponi died this morning while he was training on his bike close to his home in Filottrano. Michele has been hitted by a van on a crossroad.

Born in September 25th 1979, he left a wife and two kids.

Michele ended 4th in the Tour of Alps yesterday afternoon in Trento. Then he went home in Filottrano (Ancona) by car with his masseur and was home in the evening to his family. 

This morning Michele went out on his bike for an early morning training and there the tragedy happened.

We left a great champion and a special guy, always smiling in every situation, he was a real mile stone and a landmark for everyone in the Astana Pro Team.

The Astana Pro Team clings to the Michele family in this incredibly painful moment of sorrow and mourning.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally shocked at the passing away of Michele Scarponi out on his training ride and colliding with a van this morning [emoji24]

Ride in peace [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O no! this is so bad. very sad.

Thanks for animating cycling Michele! 

Strongs to the family :(

That is awful. Any rider being killed is a tragedy for the community and a father leaving his young family is just to hard to contemplate. Shame he was due to lead the team at the Giro as well. 

Very bad, big loss!!RIP Scarpo.

Think @Grumpyoldman here on the Hub was our biggest Scarpo Fan?

I think he is yes.

I think he is yes.

Yes, I was a big Scarponi fan, I woke early this morning excited and expectant, keen to follow the "its Time" worship and the first thing I saw was this.

We are very mortal, we know not the time or the place, just the certain eventuality, I shall miss his presence at races, a humble man who always did his best and kept to himself.

He will be missed by many.

I was a fan of Michele

It could have been me only few months ago......heartbroken. we are like leaves on a tree at autumn fall.......

Archived