"Dear Cape Epic, Make a Solo Category. Please."

AdrianDJ

As far as I know the business model of the epic is to have x amount of people drop out at certain days.

Less food etc.

Now 2 team on th basis of safety.

There were a couple of items you had to carry with you back in the day. These things were. Compulsary and if you did not have them could be DQ'd.

Never saw that any of the top guys carry them?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cape Pioneer Trek, is a UCI accredited event & offers both solo & teams entries, the earlier years of this event was as tough if not tougher than the Cape Epic, I can't see why the Cape Epic cannot offer a solo catergory. I raced CPT solo last year & there was never ever a concern of safety & there was also no influence on the outcome of other category winners that were riding as teams. Since the CE is all about the money in the bank they should just create the Solo cat in addition to the Team event, win win for everyone.

The CPT have not been fully subscribed since the event was launched. The solo cat was a way to try and fill some seats and to offer an alternative to the Epic model. Other fully subscribed events like Sani2C and W2W also do not need to boost numbers by putting in solo categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't get this.

Person x enters for an event. Any event for that matter.

And sign indemnity.

You tick the "I agree" box. Meaning I understand the rules. I will abide by rules.

Rules state that the Epic is a team event.

Why should they change their event because of a few people wanting something else? It is not as if the Epic is on the brink of bankruptcy. They really don't need to sell more entries.

In the event of Epic management deciding to allow solo riders. Should they then have solo podiums? In senior, subvet, vet, masters and grandmasters. In male and female of course. And what about the buffalo category? In male and female. In all the age groups?

What about a half-Epic? No wait...

Be realistic. Be practical. 

Aaron posted an opinion.

He backed it up with some reasoning.

It does not mean that he is now demanding that Epic changes their entire business model.

He also didn't post it here, it was posted by somebody else. If you want to disagree with him, at least have courtesy to put some reasoning behind your post.

Asking somebody to consider a change to their event, should not be confused with some random demand, or dopers for that matter.

Jeeeesus, I thought that a long weekend would chill people out a bit.

Edited by Patchelicious

Yes they are not on the brink of bankruptcy but they are also not limiting team entries either so why not just open the flood gates to solo category & bank the change?

Only 1 podium cat per solo rider please i.e. Male & female respectively, thanks.

We've seen in the past it only takes an article like this to be written & for it to go viral for the Epic to change the "rules".

Not too long ago Gun Rita asked for a separate ladies catergory, some Hubber's nearly gave birth at such a ludicrous request & look what happened the following year. So don't be surprised if you do see that Solo category in the near future.

I think to finish an event like this as part of a team must be an amazing feeling and i would hazard a guess more fulfilling than doing so alone. And to have a S.O. do it with you could be incredible ..... or terrible i'm sure. That's the most interesting part of the OP to me, what happens between the people who make the finish and those that don't.

I don't see how it would be dummed down making it a solo event. Tdf is Solo?

I would rather. Say stop calling it the un tamed African race. . (it's too hot let's make a stage shorter)

Tdf is NOT solo, what race are you watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we're all so used to loudly protesting that what an authority does is wrong-headed that we just generalise this approach to all things?

Why did the opening poster leave this article here?

How did a simple question from the author become a contentious matter?

#snaaks

As far as I know the business model of the epic is to have x amount of people drop out at certain days.

Less food etc.

Now 2 team on th basis of safety.

There were a couple of items you had to carry with you back in the day. These things were. Compulsary and if you did not have them could be DQ'd.

Never saw that any of the top guys carry them?

Are you seriously saying that their business model relies on people dropping out?