"Dear Cape Epic, Make a Solo Category. Please."

AdrianDJ

Whats next? A plea to allow the dopers back in 'because other events do it'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An e-bike category...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An e-bike category...

I recon a gravel bike category would also be good.

That would be truly Epic. No suspension whatsoever - even thinner tyres than an Epic. Like so hardcore even the most hardcore okes would mostly not be hardcore enough. 

I agree, although my agreement is aimed at all stage races without a solo category

My problem is that my friends have either no desire to compete in stage races or aren't at the level. I also dont like the idea of shacking up with a total stranger for a few days and discovering all the ways we dont click either.

I dislike being held back or holding someone back. My only foray into stage racing with a team mate was a disaster because of this.

The reason i started cycling over 25yrs ago was that unlike team sports at school, my fate was in my own hands and if i rode badly it was my fault and mine alone.

Limiting stage races to teams robs me of an opportunity to compete in iconic races

I think your inability to find and deal with a team mate limits your ability to complete races that are team races....

Just calling it as I see it... no offense intended.

Managing a team dynamic on a stage race is part of the deal.... like staying within 2 minutes of them at all times.... every team deals with these issues - some better than others - if you don't want to make it part of the challenge then find a different challenge... don't try and adjust the challenge to suit your needs - rather try and rise to all the challenges these events offer.

Simple plan, start all solo riders last each day :) problem solved

That just creates havoc - the faster riders try and push through the field, and that causes more problems than it solves - the epic used to put all the outcasts in the last batch, but they have moved to seeding them based on finish times for good reasons.

As a solo rider it means you want to have your own tent . Have you got any idea what this will cost the organizers ?? More than a extra bottle of water a day !!!

That would be truly Epic. No suspension whatsoever - even thinner tyres than an Epic. Like so hardcore even the most hardcore okes would mostly not be hardcore enough. 

I scheme if you want to make the Epic truly untamed, then they must only allow poskantoor fietse, complete with the front basket to carry the sustenance and fluids needed to finish a stage, and then take away all the water points.

As a solo rider it means you want to have your own tent . Have you got any idea what this will cost the organizers ?? More than a extra bottle of water a day !!!

I thought you had your own tent ...

Do both riders sleep in the same tent at the epic ??  :eek:

And while they are at it, I think the Epic should change the rules to ban caps. Then at least there will be some real "discrimination" for the Aaron to moan about ;)

post-275-0-29339300-1493715594_thumb.jpg

And while they are at it, I think the Epic should change the rules to ban caps. Then at least there will be some real "discrimination" for the Aaron to moan about ;)

attachicon.gifIMG-20170323-WA0003.jpg

Hey... Those caps are lekker and isnt the Epic just gravel roads anyway, almost a mass participation road event. Has all the rugby stars and celebs :P

If you have enough skill you can never have the wrong tyre choice, regardless of how many punctures you get :P

as a two man race, the epic is definitely tough

a solo race would be even more tough.

take it to the next level, a spectator race and it's beyond tough.

there is no I in TEAM or there is no 2 in solo or call it the IPEC

Sorry for the late entry to this thread...

There is no I in TEAM BUT there is a ME.

But in every TEAM there is a MATE. And during the race when a MATE asks how low you are prepared to go, never reply 'Solo'. #Epicphilosophy

ok, but there is also an ATM in every TEAM. the guy who just shells out cash on request!

ok, but there is also an ATM in every TEAM. the guy who just shells out cash on request!

This is true. And a TAME. *PONDERING*

Edited by Thor Buttox

I think your inability to find and deal with a team mate limits your ability to complete races that are team races....

Just calling it as I see it... no offense intended.

Managing a team dynamic on a stage race is part of the deal.... like staying within 2 minutes of them at all times.... every team deals with these issues - some better than others - if you don't want to make it part of the challenge then find a different challenge... don't try and adjust the challenge to suit your needs - rather try and rise to all the challenges these events offer.

Absolutely on the money. This is true for me. I will rather go do solo events as it is "seemingly" easier mentally, but I guess learning to work as a team and having a shared purpose is a rich reward for completing a team event...

I must give it a go.