Knysna Cycle Tour

Super Sywurm

Let me put this as polite as possible.

I came here to a forum about cycling in the sub forum about events and merely inquired what the chances were of a specific event being canceled in light of recent developments.

All you SJWs kindly direct your notions here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/892822-Series-of-evacuations-as-firefighters-struggle-to-contain-26-Knysna-fires

Alternatively seek out those individuals on twitter who turned the whole #KnysnaFire thing into a racial issue.

And yes, it is 26 separate fires - highly unlikely that it was caused naturally. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to the Race Coordinators yesterday, thus far the race will go ahead as planned, as the route has (at this stage) suffered no, or very little damage (with the exception of the 15km, which will be changed/ re-routed).

A final decision will however be made next week Thursday (15/06/2017). Fires are still ravaging Knysna and surrounds, so things can still change at any given time.

For now race entries are still open and entries close on 19/06/2017

Flippit, they just better not cancel K2C. I was going for 10 consecutive K2Cs, this year is #7.

K, I'll wait till they put out the fires before I ask them again then.  :whistling:

I came here to a forum about cycling in the sub forum about events and merely inquired what the chances were of a specific event being canceled in light of recent developments.

All you SJWs kindly direct your notions here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/892822-Series-of-evacuations-as-firefighters-struggle-to-contain-26-Knysna-fires

Alternatively seek out those individuals on twitter who turned the whole #KnysnaFire thing into a racial issue.

And yes, it is 26 separate fires - highly unlikely that it was caused naturally. 

Let me reply as politely as possible to your defense, I attach two of your statements as reference.

You didn't just "merely enquire", those statements came accross as "Me, Me, Me", instead of showing concern for the people who lost their homes.

Maybe you misread the scale of the devastation? Maybe your choice of words were not appropriate? Either way a simple apology would have been well received.

Maybe you misread the scale of the devastation? Maybe your choice of words were not appropriate? Either way a simple apology would have been well received.

That apology was very much out of the Helen Zille handbook of apologies...

There's more than enough on news24 to give us all some perspective:

Toddler dies on his birthday in Knysna fire

The boy who died in the Knysna fire on Wednesday had been celebrating his third birthday, while his mom, who also died, was eight months pregnant.

One firefighter passed away due to fire-related burn wounds. Disaster-related death toll rises to 10 across the province (5 fire related, 5 storm related).

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-knysnafire-counting-the-costs-20170609

Edit: Having a toddler of my own, even just the headlines above, specifically of the boy and his mom, is already horrific on so many levels.

Edited by Ferro

I have heard somewhere that apparently lightning started the fires, but due to the winds they where unable to dispatch any air support. Like I said I heard it somewhere so this is not confirmed.

I read reports again that "youngsters" were spotted starting fires. Here in PE, yesterday, a few guys carrying tins of petrol were also chased after they too were starting fires.

I have heard somewhere that apparently lightning started the fires, but due to the winds they where unable to dispatch any air support. Like I said I heard it somewhere so this is not confirmed.

Really hoping it was lighting :(

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2017/06/08/Are-Knysna-fires-the-result-of-arson 

Simultaneous fires starting at the same time‚ "raises a big red flag" and suggests "deliberate agency"‚ says forensic investigator David Klatzow. 

On Tuesday‚ it was reported fire fighters were battling 26 separate fires in the Knysna area.

Klatzow said an investigation was needed whenever there were multiple fires simultaneously.

"It is unusual for fires to start simultaneously‚" said Klatzow‚ one of the leading fire investigators in the country. He said "hard questions needed to be asked".

"When you start an investigation‚ you need an open mind. You start looking for an innocent source [for a fire]. You look at negligence such as cigarettes tossed away and carelessness….somebody who was welding‚ a camp fire not put out properly. 

"There could be an Eskom power line that fell down and short circuited. This could start two fires."

But he said "once there are three‚ four‚ five‚ 20 fires [ at the same time] you need an investigation [into the cause of the fires]".

Nee. Jy was onsensitief. plain and simple.

Klim terug onder jou brug. 

Bleak that we will be missing out on this event this year :/ 

Not fire related, just offspring related. 

Last year it was a holiday to a heater. -1 was not appreciated by the rest of the family.

Nee. Jy was onsensitief. plain and simple.

Klim terug onder jou brug. 

http://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif

Hey ous, yes, it's Friday, but we are all different in how we experience and show sympathy for not just our immediate family let alone the struggles of our fellow man\woman.

The Rouxenator has never been one to express much sympathy here over the years and has held a strong opinion on that which he takes the time to post about. Neither of these mean he doesn't feel sympathy towards the situation, so back up a little here with the apology hunting. This is not twitter or similar, where a post has to be taken as an absolute belief and argued for or against on the merits of each persons perception of that posting. Come on. What makes this bikehub spot rad is that we almost always are able to find the middle ground on the most diverse of topics through proper discussion. For the record I didn't find the post all that lekka myself and had I been directly affected by the Knysna events, would probably be dumbfounded at it too.

Roux, any chance you can ease up a little with the tone in this thread please? Some of the other people involved here are still raw from trying to comprehend what has actually happened.

Obviously what is happening there is very sad. No one should ever have to go through that pain, the loss of property is bad, the loss of life even more so - especially those who can't save themselves. It is tragic that those who are trying to save others also come to harm in situations like these. 

I feel very sad for those people, the scars of this will be with them for the rest of their lives. Worst part is that this whole disaster was not an act of God but arson.

But I do not entertain SJWs.