• 1 month later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Rob Mortimer said:

Anyone with experience doing the Robben Island-Blouberg swim.

I'm looking for some advice please!

What sort of advice are you looking for? Feel free to DM me. I have swum it before.

• 2 months later...

Doing the Midmar Mile for the first time next year with my brother-in-law and both our kids. We don't form part of any swimming team or is part of any swimming community so I have a couple of questions as the organizers don't answer my emails or Whatsapp messages.

I see they have seeding events. Is a seeding compulsory or only to give the flyers a faster batch start?

Are we allowed to enter the family team race the Saturday as brother-in-laws with our children as a team?

50 minutes ago, jdwet1980 said:

see they have seeding events. Is a seeding compulsory or only to give the flyers a faster batch start?

Are we allowed to enter the family team race the Saturday as brother-in-laws with our children as a team?

1. Just to get a faster batch 

2. I am sure it won't be a problem. The family batch is the safest and best batch to swim in. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if swimming is allowed in Knysna Lagoon? And if not, any other safe open water swim locations in the close vicinity?

1 hour ago, Rob Mortimer said:

Anyone know if swimming is allowed in Knysna Lagoon? And if not, any other safe open water swim locations in the close vicinity?

From the leisure island beaches you can do a nice and long swim in high tide, the water is shallow enough to stand in and was nice and calm for swimming. Not sure about the deeper waters or elsewhere in the lagoon. I would assume there are shipping lanes to avoid but anymore a local should be able to help. 

You can laso check if the Knysna extreme tri course is available normally: https://www.knysnaextreme.co.za/thecourse

• 1 month later...

So happy I found this thread on the hub. Started swimming last month just to try something different and because my back started acting up again.

And to my surprise, I actually like it.  So, I was looking at a couple of open water swimming events for Later in the year, and then the Freedom Swim early next year.  I don't live near the sea, so any open water training would have to be done at our local dam. Will it make a difference when I train for the Robben Eiland swim? 

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

So happy I found this thread on the hub. Started swimming last month just to try something different and because my back started acting up again.

And to my surprise, I actually like it.  So, I was looking at a couple of open water swimming events for Later in the year, and then the Freedom Swim early next year.  I don't live near the sea, so any open water training would have to be done at our local dam. Will it make a difference when I train for the Robben Eiland swim? 

Hey Lexx

So, in my very humble opinion, dam swimming is actually more difficult than sea swimming. My advice would be to train on windy days so you get the chop to navigate and practice breathing on both sides/in the chop and looking up to orientate/navigate without stopping.

The sea has swell, but realistically if you can feel the movement of the chop and adapt, you will be fine.

I know some people get really nervous with breaking waves and how the sea feels and the only way to really get over that is time in the sea. 

If you are pretty comfortable with that, then just smash the above.

I can also recommend a set of open faced goggles as oppose to pool goggles. They tend to put less pressure on your eyes/forehead over a long period in the water. They also come tinted, which helps when the sun is overhead and with glare at sunrise/sunset.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Hey Lexx

So, in my very humble opinion, dam swimming is actually more difficult than sea swimming. My advice would be to train on windy days so you get the chop to navigate and practice breathing on both sides/in the chop and looking up to orientate/navigate without stopping.

The sea has swell, but realistically if you can feel the movement of the chop and adapt, you will be fine.

I know some people get really nervous with breaking waves and how the sea feels and the only way to really get over that is time in the sea. 

If you are pretty comfortable with that, then just smash the above.

I can also recommend a set of open faced goggles as oppose to pool goggles. They tend to put less pressure on your eyes/forehead over a long period in the water. They also come tinted, which helps when the sun is overhead and with glare at sunrise/sunset.

Thanks Jewbacca.

Will def get some open faced goggles and do alot of dam swimming. 

Also if you openwater swimming alone, it is a good idea to get a swim buoy. Just keeps you visible to boats, gives you something to hold if you tire as well. All round good idea. Also get one with the drybag option so you have somewhere to keep your keys safe and with you.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Rob Mortimer said:

Anyone with experience doing the Robben Island-Blouberg swim.

I'm looking for some advice please!

My daughter swam it last year. I may be able to help.

33 minutes ago, ycowley said:

My daughter swam it last year. I may be able to help.

Thanks, did it now early in January

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

To add to what the others said - get as much open water swim practice in as possible and then try get adapted to cold water, as in really cold. I did it 2 weeks ago and water temp was 12.8.