Beware of SRAM Eagle XX1 Gold

TerryT

I have checked with Cape Cycle Systems and this was their reply:

"The SRAM Eagle chainring is the same chain ring for all Eagle groups. The variables are 3mm offset and 6mm offset and 104bcd. Further variable is the number of teeth. 

The last variable is that you can  order these with a gold decal to match the Eagle XX1 gold group. 

We carry all variables save for opting not to have the gold lettering."

So apart from cosmetics there is no difference and other than not getting 100% what you want a bit of a non-issue then. Maybe check with your LBS again.

But but but, the bike won't look right on the Thule on the back of the Cayenne Turbo S now...

I weep for our youth.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have checked with Cape Cycle Systems and this was their reply:

"The SRAM Eagle chainring is the same chain ring for all Eagle groups. The variables are 3mm offset and 6mm offset and 104bcd. Further variable is the number of teeth. 

The last variable is that you can  order these with a gold decal to match the Eagle XX1 gold group. 

We carry all variables save for opting not to have the gold lettering."

So apart from cosmetics there is no difference and other than not getting 100% what you want a bit of a non-issue then. Maybe check with your LBS again.

Believe me Iwan. this was tried. a couple of shops were called that had ordered the cold rings before.

The difference was then explained to the customer as well.

It is bad that the OP cannot get the part that he wants from the local distributor.

The distributor has a monopoly with no competition

The distributor don't carry the full range of stock  - replacement parts he originally provided - and prevent other competition to provide to SA  

only one day to Friday :whistling:

It is bad that the OP cannot get the part that he wants from the local distributor.

The distributor don't carry the full range of stock  - replacement parts he originally provided - and prevent other competition to provide to SA  

I agree, it sucks that the distributor is not doing their damn job.

I also believe (really hope) that the op just didn't think the Thread title through before posting...and that on the Hub that amounts to a lashing, regardless of what he meant.

http://twigandthistle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/TandT_DIY_Gold_Staples_3.jpg

Beat me to it  :clap:

*doesn't

But in fairness, gold bra... gold!

A little while ago I was really annoyed I couldn't get the Specialized 2fo boa shoes in the Pink Pattern. I googled it and they exist but Spez don't bring them in. I wept dragon tears which turned into jellybeans all the colours of the rainbow and lo and behold, I still couldn't get them in SA!

I went out and bought some awesome army green Shimano shoes and went and rode my bike.

My mommy and daddy taught me that whinging and crying over a situation beyond my control is pointless and finding solutions instead of harping on problems will make me a positive, happy person who farts rainbows and rides unicorns.

Let it go... 

Always remember:

You can make a bike look good. A bike can't make you look good.

But yes, it is rather disappointing to find out that a distributor does not have parts in stock to keep your group-set stock.  

Jip- u are so correct, we also love the product, but cannot get parts…..

And that is crap,

How many teeth and what offset on your chainring? someone will have locally I am sure.

I must admit to being slightly surprised that you have managed to wear out the chainring with one chain.... should last for several chains unless you really abuse them - their longevity is astounding.

How many teeth and what offset on your chainring? someone will have locally I am sure.

I must admit to being slightly surprised that you have managed to wear out the chainring with one chain.... should last for several chains unless you really abuse them - their longevity is astounding.

by the power of his legs man!!!

Agreed - I got 30000km out of my last set of SRAM red chainrings (admittedly road and not mtb). I went through 6 chains during this period. 

You should be able to change the chain several times before having to change your chain ring. Maybe post a photo of the ring in question and all the experts here will tell you if it is worn or not?

Archived