Servicing Specialized

cathmtb

holy crap. is it just spez or are other MTB also so expensive to service? 

All pretty expensive. MTB specific parts (like headset bearings or BB bearings) cost a fortune, but they really shouldn't. Also, some bike shops seem to replace these things as service items despite the fact that they can last damned long with normal maintenance. I blame the infamous 'stage race prep' syndrome for this.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddy of mine ended up paying 5k for the 150 hour service on his Camber.

- Front and Rear shock

- All pivots replaced

- New race face bb

He looked like a ghost that was about to throw up when he was telling me the story.

I service my Spez at Trailwolf in pta, cost me about 2k, full service incl front and rear shock as well as pivots. Nothing had to be replaced though - that does make a big difference!

so lets be kind and say he did 30 kph

that's 4500 kilos and he needed a new BB

crappy bikes those spaz's are :)

- Front and Rear shock

- All pivots replaced

- New race face bb

He looked like a ghost that was about to throw up when he was telling me the story.

Maybe your buddy should do a bit more maintenance on his bike.  Replacing BB and all pivot bearings after only 150 hours......

so lets be kind and say he did 30 kph

that's 4500 kilos and he needed a new BB

crappy bikes those spaz's are :)

Race Face haha. And 30kph? A bit ambitious for most mortals hahaha, so even less!

Maybe your buddy should do a bit more maintenance on his bike.  Replacing BB and all pivot bearings after only 150 hours......

He does actually do maintenance regularly. Spez said one pivot was seized, and when they replace one, they replace all of them - that is ridiculous I think!

BB was just bad luck I think, they ended up replacing the whole BB, which he then returned after realizing that he can order a rebuild kit from Chain Reaction Cycles for R200. 

Pivot bearing service is easy. More than enough videos on the web. And it be a good idea to service them regularly by removing the seals, cleaning them out and then refilling them with marine grease (turquoise in colour, can be bought at any bearing shop).

- Front and Rear shock

- All pivots replaced

- New race face bb

I service my Spez at Trailwolf in pta, cost me about 2k, full service incl front and rear shock as well as pivots. Nothing had to be replaced though - that does make a big difference!

Did trailwolf send the fork and shock away for a service? LBS can service the fork (seals and oil), but they cannot replace the little brain canister inside the fork

Race Face haha. And 30kph? A bit ambitious for most mortals hahaha, so even less!

He does actually do maintenance regularly. Spez said one pivot was seized, and when they replace one, they replace all of them - that is ridiculous I think!

BB was just bad luck I think, they ended up replacing the whole BB, which he then returned after realizing that he can order a rebuild kit from Chain Reaction Cycles for R200. 

Not if it's a p.o.s. PF30 variety. Got less than 1500 km on two. And no, no pressure hose etc. New BB is lasting twice as long now.

Pivot bearing service is easy. More than enough videos on the web. And it be a good idea to service them regularly by removing the seals, cleaning them out and then refilling them with marine grease (turquoise in colour, can be bought at any bearing shop).

u do any of that on Spez yourself warranty is out the door 

Correct. Not sure why, possibly to do with the shocks being a bit fiddly to strip and reinstall.

The brain suspension is very fiddly and requires special equipment to bleed and service. 

All Brain suspension has to be sent away, otherwise the rest of the bike is as simple to service as any other brand

Did trailwolf send the fork and shock away for a service? LBS can service the fork (seals and oil), but they cannot replace the little brain canister inside the fork

I have a Stumpy, so no brain, hence no need to send anything away... If I had an epic with brain I would take to Specialized...

Not if it's a p.o.s. PF30 variety. Got less than 1500 km on two. And no, no pressure hose etc. New BB is lasting twice as long now.

It is... and I agree PF bbs are the worst thing that has happened to cycling in a long time. Mine creaks non stop even 2 or 3 rides after a service (bike is less than a year old). My other old mtb with threaded bb is perfect after 10 years of use!

What bb are you now using? Looking to replace mine with one that doesnt creak every time I turn the cranks!

u do any of that on Spez yourself warranty is out the door 

Which is why I don't buy Spez. I don't need to be babysit by some big money cycling corporate.  :whistling:

I ride my Camber hard but keep it clean, so far 180 odd hours/3100kms on the pf30 bb and no creaking, and the pivots are still 100% too. The 150 hour service was about R1900 and included SKF seals.

Very happy with bike and service from them so far.

I ride my Camber hard but keep it clean, so far 180 odd hours/3100kms on the pf30 bb and no creaking, and the pivots are still 100% too. The 150 hour service was about R1900 and included SKF seals.

Very happy with bike and service from them so far.

I clean my bike ocd style (no pressure hoses or cleaning agents that strip grease) and service my bb often, just cannot get the thing to shut up. Besides from that the bike has been a dream.

The expensive part is the suspension - your 50 hour service is still okay, but the 150 hour service is the very expensive. This is of course the same on all bikes with high end suspension. The other expensive part is pivots - if they need to be replaced. So in short, no it's not just Spez - it's all high end bikes.

The one thing that does make a Specialized's service more expensive is if you have a brain which needs to be sent to Spez HQ - but this is only in Epics, and some Cambers as far as I know...

Is the Brain/rear shock service more expensive though? I recently paid just under 1k for my Brain/Shock 150 hr service. This is my first full suspension bike so I have no idea what a normal rockshox or fox shock 150hr service costs.

Is the Brain/rear shock service more expensive though? I recently paid just under 1k for my Brain/Shock 150 hr service. This is my first full suspension bike so I have no idea what a normal rockshox or fox shock 150hr service costs.

It is, but not by a country mile (normal shock service in the region of R600). And Spez are just in a position where they force you to use them because of the brain thing - just doesn't allow you to take advantage of other shops offering better of cheaper service. That being said, I don't think Specialized are ridiculous with their pricing considering the brain is proprietary and does work extremely well.

Archived