WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite understand the big problem for the organisers? Are the organisers not allowed to host the race as a "gravel bike" race or not at all? Can't they label it as a mtb or road race if it doesn't fit the gravel bike criteria?

What's the criteria for a gravel race?

26. GENERAL REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO GRAVEL BIKE COMPETITION
26.01 Definition:
26.02 Gravel biking is riding a bike on gravel, dirt, jeep track or any unpaved surface using any type of bike including cyclo-cross, mountain bike or hybrid. 30
26.02 Gravel Bikes:
26.02.01 Bikes must have two working brakes. Mountain bikes, Hybrid and other bikes with “straight” handlebars may use “bar ends” The use of “aerobar” extension or “Tri-Bars”s are not permitted on any bike.
26.02.02 Gravel Bikes shall be powered by human power alone.
26.03 Age Categories and Distances:
26.03.01 Refer to CSA MTB Regulations for Cross Country Marathon Rule 02.05
26.04 The Course
26.04.01 Course must consist of 90% minimum gravel, dirt, Jeep track or unpaved roads.
Course must not contain any single track.
The use or unprepared surfaces like sand, grass sections should be avoided.
26.05 The Start
26.05.01 Riders start from a stationary position.
26.06 The Finish
26.06.01 The finish will be at least 4 meters wide and should be on a flat or uphill. Barriers should be erected 35m before the finish line and 35m after the finish line. This should be on an area free of obstacles and bumps.

26.06.02 Riders may receive technical support (if provided) at the neutral support area. Riders may also assist each other during the event, however there will be no time credit for either rider.

This is from https://racetothesun.co.za/2019/01/16/race-to-the-sun-first-gravel-bike-sanctioned-event/ - for whatever reason it isn't on the CSA website yet. Maybe it is all fake news?

To be fair the Training Peaks inititiave is pro-active move. CSA Coaching has performed some good work in sorting that side out. Like the Schools Series though it seems to be ring fenced (ie protected) within the greater organisational structure. 

The gravel thing however just seems to smack of old school bureaucracy. It isn't defined as yet on the site under the cycling rules: https://www.cyclingsa.com/rules-and-regulations/

Would think that would be a priority before telling organisers about sanctioning. 

No doubt though some will call this 'CSA Bashing' and even thrown in a cute hashtag like #stopmoaning 
No doubt they will have a vested interest in the body, commercial or otherwise.

I don't quite understand the big problem for the organisers? Are the organisers not allowed to host the race as a "gravel bike" race or not at all? Can't they label it as a mtb or road race if it doesn't fit the gravel bike criteria?

Yes and no, theres a rule that you can't use drop bars in a mountain bike event. Which makes sense and is more applicable to really technical course like XCO and some XCM (marathon MTB) routes. 

What they've probably done is loosely adapt XCM rules around gravel racing, which makes sense.

Yes and no, theres a rule that you can't use drop bars in a mountain bike event. Which makes sense and is more applicable to really technical course like XCO and some XCM (marathon MTB) routes. 

What they've probably done is loosely adapt XCM rules around gravel racing, which makes sense.

But if the organisers classify it as a road race they should be fine then? (i get that it's stupid red tape)

x------
26.04.01 Course must consist of 90% minimum gravel, dirt, Jeep track or unpaved roads.
Course must not contain any single track.
The use or unprepared surfaces like sand, grass sections should be avoided.
------x

Correct me if I'm wrong, both #swartberg100 and #race2thesun has long tar sections.

#race2thesun had single track sections, i presume this will change this year.

• 3 weeks later...

i look forward to hearing the other side of the story

who'm I kidding, business as usual!

it's like we don't ever need a new title for this topic. because CSA goes from blunder to cockup to disaster all by themselves.

I saw King of Bling is having a shitfit on social media.......he's become very pedantic in his old age.  Rightly or wrongly so.
Doesn't matter.  

Nothing about CSA will change.

The Sport needs to get separated between Pro Athletes (managed by cycling sports body like CSA but something new and fresh) and participants (Managed by clubs - PPA comes to mind).

From there you can move forward. 

Professional athletes gets tested and rides races and gets rules specific to their needs in order to excel in their profession.

Participants can enjoy rides and Sportifs with rules specific to their requirements.

Edited by Asio