WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Our hopes and wishes are very much aligned. Hence me trying to give some advice on how to or how not to engage.

Jumping into the shark tank is going to be tough. There is no “trust amnesty”, when you join a tainted organisation, you inherit its history and you must understand this.

I wish any person the best who want to make a difference at CSA. But one should never alienate those who’s support you need to turn it around.

I'm not in agreement with that statement for the simple reason the Rolling Stone is not one of those people. 

I say that from the point of view that is his own man and therefore should be given the opportunity to be trusted as Rolling stone, Not Rolling Stone CSA <insert whatever title>

Maybe its a South African thing where we tend to be very quick to attach labels to people based on who they represent  or where they come from. As I mentioned in an earlier post, CSA the structure and organisation is set up according to the IOC code which also governs the UCI. That is the house in which this operates.

The failures at CSA have been due to people and it will take people to make it different and desirable.

AS he has also stated the only way to effect that change is for members to vote in new people who can make the difference which means that normal cyclists have to take a leap of faith and participate in the CSA structures.

Without that we will always have a deadpool of people to draw from and nothing will change.

Sitting on the fence or sidelines achieves nothing. Waiting to see what happens is ineffective. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not in agreement with that statement for the simple reason the Rolling Stone is not one of those people.

I say that from the point of view that is his own man and therefore should be given the opportunity to be trusted as Rolling stone, Not Rolling Stone CSA <insert whatever title>

Maybe its a South African thing where we tend to be very quick to attach labels to people based on who they represent or where they come from. As I mentioned in an earlier post, CSA the structure and organisation is set up according to the IOC code which also governs the UCI. That is the house in which this operates.

The failures at CSA have been due to people and it will take people to make it different and desirable.

AS he has also stated the only way to effect that change is for members to vote in new people who can make the difference which means that normal cyclists have to take a leap of faith and participate in the CSA structures.

Without that we will always have a deadpool of people to draw from and nothing will change.

Sitting on the fence or sidelines achieves nothing. Waiting to see what happens is ineffective.

Patch never implied RS was one of those people. He said that someone taking over needs to understand that they will have to deal with the historical problems associated with a tainted organisation.

how do other national cycling federations generate income?

found this about NZ Cycling 'The Heron report makes 11 recommendations saying CNZ and HPSNZ need to review whether wider measures to protect athlete welfare are needed.

Cycling New Zealand's high performance programme gets $4.5 million annually in taxpayer annually but had poor medal return at the Rio Olympic where it won just one medal when it was expected to win five.

here in the WP, events are organised by the local district road committee via clubs. it is not mass participation but caters for the competitive cyclists of which most of us are no matter the age.

this year, if you pre-entered online it was R180 to race. break even for an event is around the 120 participants. yes , levies are paid over to CSA. most races are run at a profit because volunteers give up their spare time freely. private event organisers must be coining it taking into consideration their exhorbitant entry fees and the number of entrants. i know for a fact that events held by some educational institutions are their only fund raiser for the year. paying R10 over per rider to CSA is peanuts compared to what they earn in interest alone from early entries and the increase in entry fees from the previous year. i know they must choke (because i do) on paying the levies money over to a national body that does nothing run the event. WP pay over levies so we can look at our clubs and cyclists in the eye and tell them 'we paid our dues'.

some events donate most of their profits to charities that are so divorced from sport it is unbelievable.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received in my club's email account:

https://mailchi.mp/62b709da5f62/cycling-sa-press-release-trainingpeaks-announces-partnership-with-cycling-south-africa-1555669?e=a22bf622d8

TrainingPeaks announces partnership with Cycling South Africa

Boulder, Colo., December 13, 2018 – TrainingPeaks, the complete web and mobile endurance training solution for athletes and coaches, has announced a partnership with Cycling South Africa, the governing body of the sport in the country.

“CyclingSA is thrilled to partner with TrainingPeaks as it opens up a vast array of opportunities for all members of CyclingSA from participants looking to complete their first event, to professional athletes and of course the coaches,” said Alasdair Garnett, Chairman of Coaching for CyclingSA and Vice President of Gauteng Cycling. “In addition to the software, TrainingPeaks’ vast library of information on all aspects of training, as well as online education resources, will provide our athletes and coaches with valuable insights.”

The partnership will provide CyclingSA coaches, high-performance athletes and members the ability to better track and monitor their training to reach their cycling goals. Through this new partnership, all CyclingSA members will receive a 20-percent discount off the price of Premium Athlete and Unlimited Coach Edition accounts. Additionally, TrainingPeaks will provide Premium Athlete and Coach edition, Best Bike Split and WKO accounts, as well as technical support for all CyclingSA High Performance coaches and riders.

This gives CyclingSA’s top cycling coaches the opportunity to train national cyclists at the top-end of the sport, especially as they are preparing for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

“We’re thrilled by this new opportunity to help grow the sport of cycling in South Africa on both the age-group and elite level,” said Jim Miller, TrainingPeaks’ Director of High Performance.

“The TrainingPeaks suite of products will help more cyclists of all levels reach their goals, as well as help national coaches more precisely track and analyse their athletes’ training.”

About TrainingPeaks

TrainingPeaks creates endurance training apps and solutions that help athletes and coaches prepare the right way to reach their goals. Products include TrainingPeaks web and mobile apps for iOS and Android to help athletes commit to a clear goal, structure their training so they can work out smarter, and monitor their progress as they work toward their event goal. Additional TrainingPeaks products include WKO4 desktop software for cutting-edge scientific analysis and planning, and Best Bike Split’s predictive performance tools. TrainingPeaks solutions are used by Tour de France teams, IRONMAN® World Champions, Olympians, age-group athletes and coaches around the world. Learn more at trainingpeaks.com.

wow. One would've thought the British plan would be the one to partner

:thumbup: Like Buckstopper as a name :thumbup: Wish more people would live their lives that way, especially politicians

Edited by DJR

So CSA are pinning medal aspirations on a 20% discount to Training Peaks? Because that was definitely holding our cyclists back in Rio - no access to training software because it was 20% too expensive. Athletes can now use that 20% saving to put it towards paying for their air tickets and accommodation...

So CSA are pinning medal aspirations on a 20% discount to Training Peaks? Because that was definitely holding our cyclists back in Rio - no access to training software because it was 20% too expensive. Athletes can now use that 20% saving to put it towards paying for their air tickets and accommodation...

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...