Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some info requested:

I am starting at 08h32 with the charities.

What time should one arrive to get through the masses to be in time? Also is there a good place to park? Or is it better to park 5km away and cycle in?

I normally park inside...but others park around the venue and cycle in, that is up to you and might take a year or 3 to perfect...

Plan to be ON YOUR PARKING spot (whichever parking you chose) @ 6h45-7h00 then IF it takes 30 minutes longer then you are at least there an hour before you start, but make sure to get to your starting group at least around 8h00.

Just my 2 cents.

What time is the last group heading out?

We have not ridden a road race for four years so our seeding is LL 9h33 start.

There is only one group behind us.

Going to be interesting to be so far back in the field.

I normally park inside...but others park around the venue and cycle in, that is up to you and might take a year or 3 to perfect... :clap:

Plan to be ON YOUR PARKING spot (whichever parking you chose) @ 6h45-7h00 then IF it takes 30 minutes longer then you are at least there an hour before you start, but make sure to get to your starting group at least around 8h00.

Just my 2 cents.

I've always viewed it as better to get there early, with as little stress of being stuck in traffic, finish your preps, check out the chicks/blokes (your preference), than to be rushing, stressing and late for your group feeling like you've got to make-something-up.

After all, you probably got up earlier for training rides than you need to for 947 and if not, enjoy the sun rise!

I've always viewed it as better to get there early, with as little stress of being stuck in traffic, finish your preps, check out the chicks/blokes (your preference), than to be rushing, stressing and late for your group feeling like you've got to make-something-up.

After all, you probably got up earlier for training rides than you need to for 947 and if not, enjoy the sun rise!

Traffic gets ****ed.

The earlier the better.

I've always viewed it as better to get there early, with as little stress of being stuck in traffic, finish your preps, check out the chicks  :rolleyes:  /blokes (your preference), than to be rushing, stressing and late for your group feeling like you've got to make-something-up.

Exactly...I normally start around 6h40-6h50 and try to be on my parking spot around 5h00 AM...also gives time while sitting in traffic into the venue for last minute meal / egg / whatever pre-race munchies  :D

If you ride DL, no need to sneak in and remove your timing chip.

Seems it might be a bit more difficult to sneak in for a 2nd lap unofficially this year.

The start layout has changed, possibly to manage the issue seen previously where people go through the loading gate prematurely to wait for their start group before the start line and thus creating congestion. They might have processes in place to try to limit unofficial 2nd lappers...

Looking at the proposed start layout, the actual start will be two traffic circles inside the venue.  We would then have to go around two circles after the start before Mnandi Rd.

F this year, been riding with my better half the past two years, who started cycling in 2015. Her first two was on a mtb, 4:04 from QQ in 2015, 3:18 from K in 2016. Hope she can do a sub 3 from F on the road bike this year.

Just some info requested:

I am starting at 08h32 with the charities.

What time should one arrive to get through the masses to be in time? Also is there a good place to park? Or is it better to park 5km away and cycle in?

Plan to be in the holding area about 1 hour before your start time. Signage will indicate what groups are loading so that you can hang in the holding area until your group loads.

The race pack this year will indicate the time you need to arrive at the holding (assembly area), the time your group loads and the time you are off.

Traffic will be heavy this year - the road works from Telesure to Diepsloot will not be finished so this will cause additional delays. 

If you ride DL, no need to sneak in and remove your timing chip.

Seems it might be a bit more difficult to sneak in for a 2nd lap unofficially this year.

The start layout has changed, possibly to manage the issue seen previously where people go through the loading gate prematurely to wait for their start group before the start line and thus creating congestion. They might have processes in place to try to limit unofficial 2nd lappers...

This is one of the reasons for the new start design. Groups will now load and only move once to the start line.

Plan to be in the holding area about 1 hour before your start time. Signage will indicate what groups are loading so that you can hang in the holding area until your group loads.

The race pack this year will indicate the time you need to arrive at the holding (assembly area), the time your group loads and the time you are off.

Traffic will be heavy this year - the road works from Telesure to Diepsloot will not be finished so this will cause additional delays. 

Do I recollect that you're involved with 947 organisation?