Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

I've registered for my first 947 Cycle Challenge road race and still contemplating whether I would do the race as I feel like I'm unfit due to the lack of training whih simply is not happening.

I ahve a mountain bike and was advised to changed to change my tyres for the race as mountain biking tyres are not reccomended.

Can anyone share their thoughts/view on this?

I'm a bit two minded to change tyres as it then stops me from doing mountain biking on the weeks preceding the 947 event.

Don't stress.

Just come for the vibe.

Take a casual ride on the knobblies.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've registered for my first 947 Cycle Challenge road race and still contemplating whether I would do the race as I feel like I'm unfit due to the lack of training whih simply is not happening.

I have a mountain bike and was advised to changed to change my tyres for the race as mountain biking tyres are not reccomended.

Can anyone share their thoughts/view on this?

I'm a bit two minded to change tyres as it then stops me from doing mountain biking on the weeks preceding the 947 event.

Just pump your tyres nice and hard for road and go and enjoy the day out on your knobbies...no need for slicks!

thanks, sounds like a bit of a relief :thumbup:

Do you reckon I can keep the mountain biking tyres on?

YES  :thumbup:  keep the MTB tyres...just pump them a bit harder...maybe go and do one or 2 test rides on TAR before the race to get the correct psi / hardness to get less rolling resistance.

Edited by CASSIE1975

thanks, sounds like a bit of a relief :thumbup:

Do you reckon I can keep the mountain biking tyres on?

I have never actually ridden a bike with slick tires, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I never really feel that its my knobby tires holding me back on the bike, especially if I understand correctly that we are in the same boat of being unfit! Personally I feel the effort of changing the tires with all that slime and putting it back afterwards is not worth the few seconds you might gain over the 90 odd k's. Maybe if I were racing for the win I might change my opinion on a few seconds here and there, but at 3:30+ hours in my situation I do not see the need.

Rather keep everyting as it is and be sure everything is in order on the morning of the race. It might just be my "bike-OCD" but I do not even like changing waterbottles 2 weeks before a race!

Ride what you know and enjoy the race!

Thanks DK, much appreciate the advise.

I think i'm bombarded all sorts of opinions which gets me thinking or pondering on these issues.

But I feel much relieved now.

thanks again.

I think i'm bombarded all sorts of opinions which gets me thinking or pondering on these issues.

thanks again.

It's a fun day out on the bike, don't think beyond that. ;)

2015: LL - First road race. Did it on MTB's with the wife. Started at 9:30am which felt like 30 degrees.

2016: Q 3h:12m

2017: Starting in batch E. Hoping for sub 3hrs :thumbup:

At least I am improving.

Did sub 3 from E last year... stay with the group if one lasts past the start line...

Last year E was a solofest for almost all of it...

thanks again.

This is my first ever Road race, my first ever road race on a MTB, my first ever ride longer than 60km. So you're not alone. I'm going out for a fun day. And if I pass I bar I might stop for a beer along the way!!!

I did the race last year on my mtb with knobblies. Had a long day in the saddle but enjoyed almost every minute of it. I am considering getting a tyre like the Maxxis Overdrive to make it a bit easier and make the last couple of uphills not feel so never-ending. 

But I do have UST rims and changing tyres is a 10min job for me. If you do have issues seating a tyre on the rims I would stick to the knobblies. I pumped the tyres to almost 4 bar last year and the rolling resistance was a lot less.

My strategy is to take it easy until the Nelson Mandela bridge that is halfway and asses if I can go harder or just keep my pace and enjoy the day out. The vibe on the race is what made me register again. 

My view is that this is not a race to enter if:

• You haven't done enough training and 
  • You aren't seeded (so have a late start time) and
  • You don't enjoy suffering

For an unfit person, 95k's is a LOOONNNGGG way to ride.  Throw in some midday heat, maybe a thunderstorm if you're unlucky, the weight of a mountain bike with nobblies and it all turns into a bit of a nightmare.  

I have had a lot of people say that this is a TERRIBLE race and they don't know why so many people do it.  This is because they started at 9.30am and due to lack of training, they spent 5 to 6 hours suffering and struggling to finish.  

If this is likely to be you, CONSIDER taking the approach of riding until you are tired and then bailing.  Enjoy the spirit and the experience of riding.  The first 20 to 30k's can be done by most people irrespective of fitness.  Then spend the next few months riding a few other short rides and build your fitness.  Get seeded so you start earlier!  Then enter next year and give it stick.  Then you have fun.  Don't get put off cycling for life after enduring a sufferfest!  That's my advice.  Up to you now...

For an unfit person, 95k's is a LOOONNNGGG way to ride.  Throw in some midday heat, maybe a thunderstorm if you're unlucky, the weight of a mountain bike with nobblies and it all turns into a bit of a nightmare.  

I have had a lot of people say that this is a TERRIBLE race and they don't know why so many people do it.  This is because they started at 9.30am and due to lack of training, they spent 5 to 6 hours suffering and struggling to finish.  

If this is likely to be you, CONSIDER taking the approach of riding until you are tired and then bailing.  Enjoy the spirit and the experience of riding.  The first 20 to 30k's can be done by most people irrespective of fitness.  Then spend the next few months riding a few other short rides and build your fitness.  Get seeded so you start earlier!  Then enter next year and give it stick.  Then you have fun.  Don't get put off cycling for life after enduring a sufferfest!  That's my advice.  Up to you now...

Aren't you a bundle of fun on a Friday afternoon!!

Look at you. Being all responsible on a Friday!!!!

If you seriously think you might die, remember we do this for fun. Suffering is fun!!!

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine today...

So according to your criteria, I should not have entered seeing that 1 - I haven't done enough training....dont think I have EVER felt that I have done enough for any race... 2 - I am not seeded, I will start, with my mtb, knobbies, baggies and even camelbak, and one hell of a smile from batch II...9:14... so yes, will be a hot day out - but guess what - I am not there to win it, I am not a racing snake. I am there to enjoy the day with fellow cyclist, hubbers with their blue cable ties and enjoying the damm nice view as they roar past...

Hope you are happy with your seeding and training is doing well... being almost time to taper and stuff...

Whilst Neverfit brought up the cableties, will they be cut or left with the end dangling? 

PS. I prefer my end dangling but due to aero reasons they I keep it nicely trimmed :ph34r: