Saturday evening slow speed crash - it DID sting in the morning.

Bonus

Saturday night I set off on a 65 minute MTB "loop" from home. Involves a bit of everything - road, jeep track, singletrack, through Ainsa town, down a flight of steps, and includes some quite technical stoney descents - but I managed those ok. I generally know where my limits are and when to push them.

25 mins into the ride I get to a stoney track that runs along beside the river Ara. It's quite a rough surface in places, climbs about 50m in 4km and is generally into a slight headwind. So no big deal, but if you try to push a decent speed along there it can be a nice workout.

The track comes out in a small village called Margudged, which I now need to ride through. The village consists of half a dozen roads in crisis cross grid formation. No pavements, houses right up to the sides of the roads and people sitting outside their houses chatting. They always wave hello, dogs and children in the roads playing and a few parked cars. For this reason I pass through the village very slowly. There's almost never any moving traffic . . . .

According to my Garmin is was doing 12km/h when the accident happened. At a crossroads in the village, which has no road markings, I chose to glance down at my Garmin at the exact moment a lady in a small white van chose to cross in front of me. It would appear that I hit the side of the van face first. It took me a second to realise exactly what was happening - I remember there was a lot of noise, and then there was just pain.

I let the bike fall as I climbed off it, hands to my face and I remember saying ouch ouch ouch and thinking this is not going to be pretty.

I've never been smacked in the face with a cricket bat but I suspect this is how it feels. Blood everywhere. My first two (*** induced) thoughts were Broken Nose and/or Smashed Teeth. Thankfully they both felt ok but there was a lot of blood. People came to check if I was ok. One old lady bought me a plastic chair to sit on and another fetched a big bottle of water. The lady got out of the van to see if I was ok. I phone Wendy to fetch me, trying not to sound too serious. I cleaned myself up with the water while I sat and waited. Thankfully nothing was broken - Bike, Garmin, Shades all ok. Took some pics of the position of the car and 30mins later Wendy arrived.

The van driver had phoned the police and asked me to wait for them to arrive but by now I was very cold, very bloody and I suspect heading for shock so I told them where we live, swapped numbers and went home. Had a cup of sugary tea and a shower to clean and warm myself up and then looked in the mirror to inspect the damage. You know that feeling you get when you see an injury and think " hmmm that's not good . . ." I didn't even consider whether it would just "get better" on its own - too big and too open. Four stitches needed at the local medi-clinic for a horizontal cut under my nose.

Other than that it seemed like just a few cuts and scrapes when I finally went to bed - today it's a different story! Seems that the peak of my helmet was pushed up against the side of the van and the strap has tightened and bruised my throat. My shades cut my face above the eyebrow. My whole upper body has a degree of whiplash - I can barely support my own head! My upper arm is bruised, my right knee is skinned and my left thigh is strained. My nose is swollen so much that Wendy says I look like the main Ape in "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (he was the clever one mind you!)

And all of this at 12km/h!

Let's see what tomorrow brings . . . .

I have some pics but no one needs to see THAT over breakfast!

Edited by Bonus

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness me, just so lucky you were not doing 12.5km/h! At worst you could have been with the angels ????

Heal up quick and well; - soon you need to be back on your build project.

Man alive that sound painful

Done the same myself. Both times helmets broke the fall. Just something that happens, and its always when you least expect it.

Seems like the slower the fall, the more painful it is and the more you look like you lost a fight with a heavyweight....

I let the bike fall as I climbed off it, hands to my face and I remember saying ouch ouch ouch and thinking this is not going to be pretty.

The word OUCH doesn't even feature in my vocabulary.

I have another 4 letter word that I would have used.

Heal up bud.

Eina - I have been smacked in the face by a cricket ball, bust teeth, smashed lip etc - and almost everywhere else on my body too and  while it's far from pleasant, I think a cycling crash is worse. More points of contact and generally you're not expecting it.

Wish you a quick recovery.

Cheers guys - my two typing fingers are ok!

Agreed, it could have been a lot lot worse, as we see on here all the time (strongs to Team Savage)

Face is swollen even more today and difficult to talk but I got a good nights sleep and the rest of my body is hurting a bit less.

Horrible incident but awesome story. You had me engrossed in your narrative. Was almost like a murder mystery unraveling :clap: .

You should try living with him. He tells every story from the beginning and it could be a day ago or a week or even years. ????

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk