World Marathon Champs - XCM 2017

swrid

Hi all

Anyone know whether there will be coverage of the World Marathon Champs?

Preferably on Super Sport, alternatively online, or is it something that still goes largely under the radar?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not on Supersport. Also doesn't seem to be a stream online for it. Your best bet will probably be following on Twitter.

I guess the marathon races are not as spectator friendly as the XCO races which makes it difficult and expensive from a coverage perspective.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Is nino not riding ?

Don't thinks so.

Neithr Julien Absalon.

Don't think they have ever competed in it in the past.

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

http://www.uci.ch/mountain-bike/news/article/eight-current-and-former-uci-world-champions-line-for-uci-marathon-worlds/?utm_content=buffereff28&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The 2017 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships, to take place in Singen, Germany, on Sunday, boasts one of the strongest start lists in the 15-year history of the event: numerous former UCI World Champions are on the start list alongside both defending title holders.

Singen, an industrial city in southern Germany and just north of the German-Swiss border, has a long history of hosting Marathon races, including the 2015 European Championships and the annual Hegau Bike Marathon. The courses feature short, steep climbs rather than long ones, which will make it difficult for solo attacks to succeed. The women will race 80 kilometres and the men 98 kilometres.

The 77-rider women's field includes defending Champion Jolanda Neff (Kross Racing) of Switzerland, plus former UCI World Champions Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjaa (Merida Gunn-Rita), Sabine Spitz (Wiawis Bikes), Annika Langvad (Specialized) and Esther Süss, of Switzerland. Spitz is the local German favourite, and won the European title in Singen in 2015.

For the 188-rider men's field, the list of contenders include defending UCI World Champion Tiago Ferreira of Portugal, plus former title holders Jaroslav Kulhavy (Specialized) and Alban Lakata, of Austria. Others to watch for include Kulhavy's New Zealand team mate Sam Gaze, who finished second at Singen in 2016, and cyclo-cross/road professional Mathieu van der Poel of the Netherlands. Van der Poel is skipping his Dutch National Road Championships in favour of the UCI Marathon Worlds, and has already finished second at a cross-country Olympic round of this season’s UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano.

For the 188-rider men's field, the list of contenders include defending UCI World Champion Tiago Ferreira of Portugal, plus former title holders Jaroslav Kulhavy (Specialized) and Alban Lakata, of Austria. Others to watch for include Kulhavy's New Zealand team mate Sam Gaze, who finished second at Singen in 2016, and cyclo-cross/road professional Mathieu van der Poel of the Netherlands. Van der Poel is skipping his Dutch National Road Championships in favour of the UCI Marathon Worlds, and has already finished second at a cross-country Olympic round of this season’s UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano.

I think these two are going to make thing very interesting if their legs can go the distance.

I think these two are going to make thing very interesting if their legs can go the distance.

I'd have liked to see what vd Poel could have done in Albstadt had he not crashed and fallen back

Just saw Gunn-Rita has A ridgid Fork on her bike ?

Can the course really be that smooth ? I would opt for A lauff maybe but not ridgid

So let's speculate podium.......

My top 3 in no particular order:

- Paez

- Kulhavy

- Perreira

Paez was also the first name that popped into my head. Gaze is also in brilliant form at the moment.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Just saw Gunn-Rita has A ridgid Fork on her bike ?

Can the course really be that smooth ? I would opt for A lauff maybe but not ridgid

If it is that smooth, Van der Poel can bring his Cross bike...