Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

I have only ridden VG once and we stayed at the cheese farm for that weekend. Erik was very hospitable and gave us all the necessary info on the trails.. hoping for a positive outcome for him. Strength to him and his family during this time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The world needs more positive minded people like Erik. To be dealt a blow like this for someone like him and then still to have such positive vibes. RESPECT.

Awesome attitude Erik ...

Hopefully it rubs of on many people ....

Inspirational !

Latest...

"And so my road to recovery begins...

Currently in Meulmed at the spinal unit, undergoing rehab after a fall

off my bike, breaking my nek at C6 & C7. I have been diagnosed as a quadriplegic being unable to move my lower body and unable to move my hands. I do however have the movement of my shoulders and elbows and will learn to use my hands to the best of my capability.

It will be a long journey, and challenge me like i have not been challenged before. I had been preparing for big races, training hard in case someone dropped out of one of the big mtb events later in the year. Although nothing could prepare me for this, I am ready to face the challenge head on.

I now have a public page, for those of you who would like to follow my progress.

They wont give me my phone to accept new friends! best i could do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMountainViking/ "

Latest...

off my bike, breaking my nek at C6 & C7. I have been diagnosed as a quadriplegic being unable to move my lower body and unable to move my hands. I do however have the movement of my shoulders and elbows and will learn to use my hands to the best of my capability.

It will be a long journey, and challenge me like i have not been challenged before. I had been preparing for big races, training hard in case someone dropped out of one of the big mtb events later in the year. Although nothing could prepare me for this, I am ready to face the challenge head on.

I now have a public page, for those of you who would like to follow my progress.

Thanks for the update.

Latest...

Thank you...once again strongs to you and the Family!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

just saw :cursing:  that video's not showing

Erik's in rehab at the moment, "school" as Victor called it.. learning how to do things.

I'll try find another way of posting that clip 

• 3 weeks later...

@L.T.G have you got any news on Erik?

Sorry... :cursing:

Thought Id posted here already.. I saw him two weeks ago.

he was home for weekend from rehab.

In good spirits and very positive.

For him to be allowed to home from rehab for his first visit, he had to pass certain tests.

No one's achieved them in the short space of  a month like he did, so his progress of learning how to live with his condition has been really good.

As far as can be told, there'll be no change... he has to adapt and learn to do things as he is now.

He's incredibly tough and I suppose that's what made it even more heartbreaking to me again.. to see him lying there.

Sorry... :cursing:

Thought Id posted here already.. I saw him two weeks ago.

he was home for weekend from rehab.

In good spirits and very positive.

For him to be allowed to home from rehab for his first visit, he had to pass certain tests.

No one's achieved them in the short space of  a month like he did, so his progress of learning how to live with his condition has been really good.

As far as can be told, there'll be no change... he has to adapt and learn to do things as he is now.

He's incredibly tough and I suppose that's what made it even more heartbreaking to me again.. to see him lying there.

Thanks for the update, he's a tough bugger and clearly making the most of an unfortunate incident. Looking forward to seeing him progress  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

LTG any news or updates on eric, whats happening at fungaalens now with all the route repairs / maintenance 

Archived