Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

An updated post from a little earlier today

"Hi everyone, not a single msg has gone unnoticed, we appreciate all the support, I have not felt alone today for a single minute, my dad knows of all the warm and heartfelt msges, I read them out to him. Hes off to krugersdorp to Dr.Fourie neuro surgeon, to have his L6 and L7 fused.His op wil start at 18:00 tonight. He can move his arms, fingers just a bit numb. After a few days he wil be moved to muelmws to dr.Theron said to be the best in the business when it comes to rehab. Hes in good hands and he can feel the warmth the community is sending his way. I will keep you all posted.

He wanted us to post foto's of everything, first the ambulance then this then that, so im posting 2 pics to keep the bugger happy. As you can all see he can still manage a smile"

post-6012-0-57587400-1501008514_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-31357400-1501008527_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terribly saddened by this freak accident. All I can send is positive thoughts and wishes for a full recovery.

Edited by 6th Mass Extinction

Seriously hope this gent will ride A bike again.

Good luck Sir

Edited by BaGearA

This is terrible news and best wishes and hope the long process ahead turns positive.

On a separate note..If this was the result of an open uncovered drain I urge the son (and hope he has) taken photos. I say this because someone I know had a terrible bicycle accident where he was electrocuted by a low lying HV line. The next day his friends went back to take photos and it had been fixed!

This is terrible news and best wishes and hope the long process ahead turns positive.

On a separate note..If this was the result of an open uncovered drain I urge the son (and hope he has) taken photos. I say this because someone I know had a terrible bicycle accident where he was electrocuted by a low lying HV line. The next day his friends went back to take photos and it had been fixed!

And on that note, if this was due to neglect, then I hope that there is recourse against the local municipality.

Latest update:-

"Erik's neck is fused in Krugersdorp pvt hospital by dr Fourie. He is awake and very talkative. Appreciates all attention very much. For rehab he will go to dr Theron at Muelmed in Pretoria probably later this week. For now he is in ICU in Krugersdorp. Thank you dear friends for all your support"

And on that note, if this was due to neglect, then I hope that there is recourse against the local municipality.

So much more reason to take photographs now

An updated post from a little earlier today

"Hi everyone, not a single msg has gone unnoticed, we appreciate all the support, I have not felt alone today for a single minute, my dad knows of all the warm and heartfelt msges, I read them out to him. Hes off to krugersdorp to Dr.Fourie neuro surgeon, to have his L6 and L7 fused.His op wil start at 18:00 tonight. He can move his arms, fingers just a bit numb. After a few days he wil be moved to muelmws to dr.Theron said to be the best in the business when it comes to rehab. Hes in good hands and he can feel the warmth the community is sending his way. I will keep you all posted.

He wanted us to post foto's of everything, first the ambulance then this then that, so im posting 2 pics to keep the bugger happy. As you can all see he can still manage a smile"

attachicon.gifIMG_8213.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8214.JPG

So I don't know anything about necks/reading x-rays but I can see the "broken parts" and to me it looks like he is seriously lucky the spinal cord is still in tact?

Had a work mate who had a neck issue earlier this year and had to have 2 vertebrae fused high up and he was off work for 8 weeks but has made a full recovery and is playing golf again. He has a hectic scar on the front of his neck but he's happy to be able to walk properly again.

Thanks for the updates LTG.

I've just been to see him and unfortunately it's not good.

He has movement in his arms and a bit in his hands .. but can't move fingers.

Other than that, in his words "it's all gone"

But being the tough man he is,.. " at least I'll still have 2 wheels, I just need to be able to use my hands to turn the wheels of a wheelchair(and he smiles)... we just have to move on. I've had 56 good years"

I had no words and no idea what to say to him.

I'm still typing this in disbelief

He'll be starting rehab in a couple days.