Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

I've just been to see him and unfortunately it's not good.

He has movement in his arms and a bit in his hands .. but can't move fingers.

Other than that, in his words "it's all gone"

But being the tough man he is,.. " at least I'll still have 2 wheels, I just need to be able to use my hands to turn the wheels of a wheelchair(and he smiles)... we just have to move on. I've had 56 good years"

I had no words and no idea what to say to him.

I'm still typing this in disbelief

He'll be starting rehab in a couple days.

What a guys though, few of us would have this outlook on a situation like this.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This just goes to show again how quickly life can change. Message in that for all of us.

Thanx for sharing and all the best to your dad in his recovery and strength to the whole family whose supporting him through this process. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tragic news to say the least. Wishing strength and prayers for Erik and his family.

Hey Erik, a message from Maarten Van der Horst in Holland and Kjell Westfehling

in Cape Town (we used to spend every weekend there a couple of years back.)

We are all pulling for you and look forward to seeing you making the best possible recovery. Cheers Donavan

Edited by manbearpig

all of the best to Erik and his family.

A friend of mine had a serious incident beginning of March. Doc said it's a miracle that he's alive and that he will be stuck to a wheel chair for the rest of his life, never would have full use of arms even.

My friend is walking without support for almost a month now. still not 100%, but there is progress everyday.

the reason (I believe) for his recovery is because his mind/ attitude was right. He remained positive and believed that he will make a full recovery.

with the attitude demonstrated by Erik, I believe here is another miracle on the way.

all of the best to Erik and his family.

A friend of mine had a serious incident beginning of March. Doc said it's a miracle that he's alive and that he will be stuck to a wheel chair for the rest of his life, never would have full use of arms even.

My friend is walking without support for almost a month now. still not 100%, but there is progress everyday.

the reason (I believe) for his recovery is because his mind/ attitude was right. He remained positive and believed that he will make a full recovery.

with the attitude demonstrated by Erik, I believe here is another miracle on the way.

Happened to my brother when he was young.  Had his neck fused and now rides a bicycle and is a provincial rugby ref in Aus.

You will be o'k with a good attitude and Erik is halfway there.

Sterkte young man!

I only saw this now, I have had C5/6/7 fused around 10 years ago and have had no problems, theres nothing I cant do now, although my fusion was due to spinal degradation and not trauma, I wish your father the best and I pray for a positive outcome.   

A post by Erik's wife, Annelies

"Dear friends. Erik has been diagnosed quadriplegic which means that all 4 limbs have been affected. He can use his arms but not his hands. A set back for him and he wants to go to rehab asap to work on that. He also had a scare because he can not cough up slime and they had to suction it out. For us confronting but team Erik is ready to learn to deal with it. We will go day by day for a while. Erik loves all the visits, messages and illegal phone calls. Thank you and love from all of us"

A post by Erik's wife, Annelies

"Dear friends. Erik has been diagnosed quadriplegic which means that all 4 limbs have been affected. He can use his arms but not his hands. A set back for him and he wants to go to rehab asap to work on that. He also had a scare because he can not cough up slime and they had to suction it out. For us confronting but team Erik is ready to learn to deal with it. We will go day by day for a while. Erik loves all the visits, messages and illegal phone calls. Thank you and love from all of us"

Thank you for the update. Strongs to all of you.

Praying for the best recovery. Keep up with the positive attitude.

Not good news.  :thumbdown:  :angry:

I was hoping that it was just pressure on the nerves due to swelling.

Heal up Eric, admire your positive outlook.

Strongs to the family and friends that is also struggling with this tragedy.