Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

I'm truly shocked by this incident.

My thoughts are with Erik and the family. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah man that sucks. Literally got a lump in my throat reading this. I don't know him but he sounds so positive and like a all round decent guy. Makes me so cross as its due to some idiots incompetence this poor guy is a quadriplegic.

Erik, thank you for providing such inspiration. Good luck on your journey of recovery. I wish you just the best.

That is just heartbreaking to read...there are no words that could help, but only positive thoughts and prayers  :thumbup:

Good luck bud (even though we have never met)...still hope for a miracle and strongs to you and your family...heal up and keep positive!

thanks to everybody for all their well wishes and support for Erik, I now Vic's keeping him updated with the incredible amount of posts coming through via all platforms,

Here, FB, IG etc etc

Something happened today that I felt compelled to share with everyone.

I'm a bit emotional typing this so hope I can put in words what's in my head and heart.

While visiting Erik today, who was his usual joking, full of nonsense self...

We naturally discussed the trails at VG and more specifically the Ashburton route on Saturday.

The insane detail he went into explaining parts of the route to me broke me inside, I was welling up but didn't want to show it.

The man has so much passion and love for what he does! I'm sure he could describe the rocks and stones, no matter how small or big on the trails.

Once again the reality of the situation hit me .. and quite hard.. I was rather emotional after leaving there...

BUT THEN ... a little later thought about this...

We often discuss the trails and he gets so excited when explaining them, like the new Double D route he made leading to Pofadder... he was so amped telling me about it and  for me to ride it.. his enthusiasm is so contagious and motivating...

if ANYONE is going to be able to power through this and come out smiling... he's the man that will. 

My Thoughts are with him....hope he heals up soon.

On another note.

Why put your OWN life and others on the road in danger by recording a video while driving? Sometimes no hands on the steering wheel? 

Clearly not a MOUNTED camera. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Edited by Quagga

On another note.

Why put your OWN life and others on the road in danger by recording a video while driving? Sometimes no hands on the steering wheel?

Clearly not a MOUNTED camera. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

On another note.

You make a fair point, you should also understand he's human and has some pretty heavy **** on his mind.

So maybe you should also rather get in touch with him directly or via LTG and say something along the lines of "My thoughts are with you, just a friendly observation about the driving ... etc etc" 

Just a thought.

On another note.

Seriously not the place man... if you feel it's so important to comment from up on that high horse, then feel free to start your own thread.

Strongs to the whole Schipper clan - long road ahead, but Eriks a fighter for sure  :thumbup:

Scary how quick life changes, was at a funeral just yesterday for someone I still planned many a laugh with, but who was suddenly taken. 

Thanks for all the updates LTG, tell Erik that hubland is rooting for him!

thanks to everybody for all their well wishes and support for Erik, I now Vic's keeping him updated with the incredible amount of posts coming through via all platforms,

Here, FB, IG etc etc

Something happened today that I felt compelled to share with everyone.

I'm a bit emotional typing this so hope I can put in words what's in my head and heart.

While visiting Erik today, who was his usual joking, full of nonsense self...

We naturally discussed the trails at VG and more specifically the Ashburton route on Saturday.

The insane detail he went into explaining parts of the route to me broke me inside, I was welling up but didn't want to show it.

The man has so much passion and love for what he does! I'm sure he could describe the rocks and stones, no matter how small or big on the trails.

Once again the reality of the situation hit me .. and quite hard.. I was rather emotional after leaving there...

BUT THEN ... a little later thought about this...

We often discuss the trails and he gets so excited when explaining them, like the new Double D route he made leading to Pofadder... he was so amped telling me about it and  for me to ride it.. his enthusiasm is so contagious and motivating...

if ANYONE is going to be able to power through this and come out smiling... he's the man that will. 

Far and away one of the most salt of the earth people out there Louis.  :thumbup:

Wow, this puts our sport into perspective. Lets hope the rehab helps.

I don't know all the details, but it sounds as if low light played a role. I have had three rather painful crashes in the last three years all of which had low light as a contributor. There is a point on a ride when the light fades quite fast especially in winter. On a familiar trail you don't always realize how little you can see or how much you rely on peripheral vision. So easy to end up off line, hitting a pedal or not even seeing a corner.