Erik Schipper (Van Gaalen Trails) breaks neck in accident

L.T.G

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Quagga

You know where i live, come pay me a visit,thats a powerfull keyboard youve got there...or my number?  i feel maybe your sore about something, im here for you lets talk.

Don't waste your time... never worth it.

Strength for the road ahead Victor  :thumbup:

My Thoughts are with him....hope he heals up soon.

On another note.

Why put your OWN life and others on the road in danger by recording a video while driving? Sometimes no hands on the steering wheel? 

Clearly not a MOUNTED camera. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

This should be reported.  Very poor form indeed.

Embarrassed to even think this could actually be contrived.

You need help mate, show some respect.

VG is awesome mountain biking and such a beautiful area with well thought out and maintained trails. Sorry to hear what happened to Eric can happen to anyone. With the right mind attitude prayers and thoughts I have no doubt one can overcome most things even this and that Eric can reheal and be out on his trails in the not too distant future which would be awesome to see.

Hi Quagga

You know where i live, come pay me a visit,thats a powerfull keyboard youve got there...or my number? 083xxxxxxxxxi feel maybe your sore about something, im here for you lets talk.

Glad we could have a chat.

Edit Removed phone number

Edited by Quagga

This should be reported.  Very poor form indeed.

Embarrassed to even think this could actually be contrived.

You need help mate, show some respect.

My Last comment on this, what if he rolled the bakkie? Does his family need that stress extra right now?

It is at times when we have many things on our minds that accidents happen, and I would hate for this family to another tragedy right now(or ever again)

Edited by Quagga

The unit at Muelmed is excellent. Francois Theron is a very experienced and respected spinal surgeon. You will be in great hands!!

Remember to blow in that pipe to keep the lungs healthy - they take a big knock.

Holding thumbs - this could be the start of a new chapter. Maybe you will have time to work out how to make some wheelchair friendly trails (hoping it is not for you though...)

I've just been to see him and unfortunately it's not good.

He has movement in his arms and a bit in his hands .. but can't move fingers.

Other than that, in his words "it's all gone"

But being the tough man he is,.. " at least I'll still have 2 wheels, I just need to be able to use my hands to turn the wheels of a wheelchair(and he smiles)... we just have to move on. I've had 56 good years"

I had no words and no idea what to say to him.

I'm still typing this in disbelief

He'll be starting rehab in a couple days.

Apologies for the late reply on this post. I have been checking in on this thread hoping for a better outcome. I don't know you guys but i am rooting for you! Erik's positive outlook is inspiring to me and how instantly your life can change really makes me think to myself that i should be more mindful and definitely more thankful for every day of relative normality that i get to enjoy.

Apologies for the late reply on this post. I have been checking in on this thread hoping for a better outcome. I don't know you guys but i am rooting for you! Erik's positive outlook is inspiring to me and how instantly your life can change really makes me think to myself that i should be more mindful and definitely more thankful for every day of relative normality that i get to enjoy.

I know that Gauteng and surrounds isn't exactly a 'tourist mecca' for local tourism, especially if you're living in the Western Cape. 

But seriously, pay a visit upcountry, you'll be amazed at some of the riding, scenery, general experiences etc up here that can be had. Cheap cheap too. 

I'll happily take anyone from out of town on a ride at vG, you'll understand the warmth and passion from the family straight away and just why vG is known as 'fun gaalen'  :)

This accident just goes to show how easy and quickly life can change.

Guys and girls, be safe out there.

Mr Schipper, you are an inspiration. Your approach to this is amazing and awe-inspiring. All the best

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Been reading the updates the last couple days. Your pops is truly a remarkable guy, sounds like someone who you meet at the trailhead and talk to like you know each other. His attitude towards this makes our day to day problems seem so trivial and puts everything into perspective.

Good luck for the road ahead, will be keeping an eye out for updates on his progress.