Did you cook the ribs in the Potjie?

Edited by MphatiPyga

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Did a lovely Tomahawk on Saturday night. Indirect heat for an hour to bring the internal temp up to rare, and then built the heat up and seared it like a beast. Was beautiful.

9bb9cff26e8a2a5f9dfff32183adda9d.jpg

bb40a125bacee6cb39cb286411536ad0.jpg

180fc1a879dd6deb35be6a90550d538f.jpg

f76aa986b7c7ec4b1364a806fd7d6b66.jpg

I see they're selling those at Checkers. Pretty well priced too. Never heard of it before

I see they're selling those at Checkers. Pretty well priced too. Never heard of it before

Basically a ribeye with bone in. Best if you can get your butcher to hang it for 48-60 days for you and then cut.

Did a lovely Tomahawk on Saturday night. Indirect heat for an hour to bring the internal temp up to rare, and then built the heat up and seared it like a beast. Was beautiful.

9bb9cff26e8a2a5f9dfff32183adda9d.jpg

bb40a125bacee6cb39cb286411536ad0.jpg

180fc1a879dd6deb35be6a90550d538f.jpg

f76aa986b7c7ec4b1364a806fd7d6b66.jpg

I see other okes on FB also braai Tomahawk from time to time - I still have to try it. The only form of steak I've been successful with on the braai is Texan steak. I can braai chicken pieces, chicken sosaties, pork sosaties, pork chops, lamb chops and wors no problem, but I generally end up with steak that's a bit tough.

I see other okes on FB also braai Tomahawk from time to time - I still have to try it. The only form of steak I've been successful with on the braai is Texan steak. I can braai chicken pieces, chicken sosaties, pork sosaties, pork chops, lamb chops and wors no problem, but I generally end up with steak that's a bit tough.

You need to buy quality steak,but I agree.No steak on a braai unless its a whole fillet.Steak gets done in my red hot carbon steel pan on the cooker.No seasoning before hand,just butter, salt and pepper in the pan with a sauce of choice when serving.

Reverse seared a Picanha tonight on the Weber. Nothing but coarse salt.

Some Portuguese rolls and a toasted Italian loaf smothered in garlic butter and it was great. Took the internal temp a little too far but it was still tender AF.

I guess that's how we learn.

post-42431-0-43750700-1602608734_thumb.jpeg

post-42431-0-43648800-1602608742_thumb.jpeg

post-42431-0-89793000-1602608758_thumb.jpeg

post-42431-0-99343800-1602608768_thumb.jpeg

post-42431-0-13401200-1602608776_thumb.jpeg

Hard to get good steak unless you go to a good butcher and tell him exactly what you want. Supermarket and meat market steak is always hit and miss. Once you get it right, you will know.

On that subject, I’m going to choose a t-bone on the weekend to hang now for Christmas time. Last time I did one was a couple of years ago. 5KG, hung for 60 odd days, cooked in the Weber, was beautiful.

Reverse seared a Picanha tonight on the Weber. Nothing but coarse salt.

Some Portuguese rolls and a toasted Italian loaf smothered in garlic butter and it was great. Took the internal temp a little too far but it was still tender AF.

I guess that's how we learn.

That looks stunning. Makes the mouth water just looking at the pics

You need to braai the steak last and it needs its own fire - very hot. Don't try to braai steak and chops etc together.

Hard to get good steak unless you go to a good butcher and tell him exactly what you want. Supermarket and meat market steak is always hit and miss. Once you get it right, you will know.

On that subject, I’m going to choose a t-bone on the weekend to hang now for Christmas time. Last time I did one was a couple of years ago. 5KG, hung for 60 odd days, cooked in the Weber, was beautiful.

Do you just hang it in the fridge?

You need to braai the steak last and it needs its own fire - very hot. Don't try to braai steak and chops etc together.

then under-cook it and let it rest for 10 minutes. not in the braai dish as this will be to hot and the steak will keep on cooking