To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

FOr the new ZA ironman cycle course I would say a TT bike would be advantageous as the course is relatively flat and fast. Is it an absolute necessity, no I have done Ironman events and never owned a TT bike but then I ain't chasing podiums. The various courses will determine the need for one. For instance, the midlands ultra I think would be dangerous in the TT position due to the road conditions etc. in my opinion.

TT bikes are primarily about being aero and increasing comfort for the run. If you a back marker like me the marginal amount of time saved is irrelevant really so never bothered with a TT bike.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do similar on my solo rides and I bought a BMC TMR. Is a aero road frame which I kitted out as pure TT. For similar rides in the cradle but just riding this bike I do 31-33km/h. On the same bike with full effort I can do roughly 38-40km/h for about 2hours. I could never do that on the road bike.

In terms of sizing, each make is different, you must try it. My road bike is 49 and a little to small but my TT is 48 and just fits me.

As many have mentioned, if you can afford it, buy it and you will love it.

Keep us updated

Care to show us a pic or two? I have an aero frame. I may just change the setup for the full IM in PE. I am not too comfortable buying a TT bike until I am 100% sure I want to do more full Iron distances. However, will stick to the standard road setup for all half distances as they all have some pretty big climbing. 

Care to show us a pic or two? I have an aero frame. I may just change the setup for the full IM in PE. I am not too comfortable buying a TT bike until I am 100% sure I want to do more full Iron distances. However, will stick to the standard road setup for all half distances as they all have some pretty big climbing. 

I will put some pics up this evening. If one doesn't know there bikes to well, then very easy to think it's a full TT bike.

They look pretty smart.

As promised, BMC TMR done as TT bike;

post-50134-0-05284600-1503337103_thumb.jpg

post-50134-0-89290600-1503337104_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

I'm torn between selling my current road bike when upgrading or doing the same.

It's also a full aero frame with the kamm tails at the back, so already looks similar to a tt bike.

How did you choose the aerobar extensions?

Did you just pick some, install and fit with spacers or did the setup guys help you choose for your position?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Very nice!

How did you choose the aerobar extensions?

Did you just pick some, install and fit with spacers or did the setup guys help you choose for your position?

I did choose the frame carefully, basically checked the max seat angle I could achieve. Most road bikes are around 72deg and TT more like 77deg. This frame was like 74deg and allows for very aggressive seat position. This gave me confidence that I could get into a good position.

As for the front cockpit, it was a little bit of bought what they had but then did do a set up properly so they could check leg angles etc... I am pretty short so getting back low is tough without going to tight on angles. I managed to get a - 17deg stem and this helped. Ultimately the cockpit is something that I believe one has to slowly build on. I guess everyone is different but the idea is that I must feel comfortable enough to sit in that position for hours.

I must mention that I first started with standard road bars with clip on bars, which was perfect but found if you really want to push it then the full aero kit with gears at the end made a big difference.

If your bike is pretty aero already then I would explore front cockpit and actual positioning first before changing.

Its stunning!  :drool:  wow good job

BMC has always been my dream bike

I'm training for my first full ironman (April 2018). To date I have only been training/racing on a normal road bike, so need some input if it's really worth investing in a TT bike? Or is a set of aero rims and tri bars good enough considering that I might only do one or two full distance ironman in my life, rather sticking to 70.3 after that?

Any input?

if you buy second hand and sell second hand once fine then it might not cost that much really.

I did choose the frame carefully, basically checked the max seat angle I could achieve. Most road bikes are around 72deg and TT more like 77deg. This frame was like 74deg and allows for very aggressive seat position. This gave me confidence that I could get into a good position.

As for the front cockpit, it was a little bit of bought what they had but then did do a set up properly so they could check leg angles etc... I am pretty short so getting back low is tough without going to tight on angles. I managed to get a - 17deg stem and this helped. Ultimately the cockpit is something that I believe one has to slowly build on. I guess everyone is different but the idea is that I must feel comfortable enough to sit in that position for hours.

I must mention that I first started with standard road bars with clip on bars, which was perfect but found if you really want to push it then the full aero kit with gears at the end made a big difference.

If your bike is pretty aero already then I would explore front cockpit and actual positioning first before changing.

Thanks for the input!

With your experience, is the disc necessary, or do mid - deep deep sections work well?

At this time I'm struggling to wrap my head around dropping 10-20k on a wheel that'l only be used maybe 4 times a year.

Hi. Noob here (please be gentle :)). This is a really interesting discussion, thanks OP for starting it and for the informed contributions.

I am considering getting back into triathlons after a long break (20+ years :mellow: ) and have been pondering the same thing, road bike vs dedicated tri/TT bike (I don't have resources for both). I do not intend to do any road racing and very (VERY) little to no training on the road because of the road safety issues where I live. (Think rollers/indoor trainer plus lots of forest/farm/jeep tracks on a MTB). So the only reason not to get a dedicated tri/TT bike is that a lot of sprint/olympic races in KZN require road bars.

Alfa147's solution of setting up an aero road bike as a TT bike looks great, but what about doing it the other way around and taking a tri/TT bike like a Specialized Transition or a Felt S32 and swapping out the TT bars when required by race rules with road drops, longer stem, short, closed clip-ons & conventional shifters? I realise this is a compromise, but is it a workable solution i.e. will you be able to get a good fit, will you still benefit from the more open hip angle and will the bike be manageable on a loop circuit?

Hi. Noob here (please be gentle :)). This is a really interesting discussion, thanks OP for starting it and for the informed contributions.

I am considering getting back into triathlons after a long break (20+ years :mellow: ) and have been pondering the same thing, road bike vs dedicated tri/TT bike (I don't have resources for both). I do not intend to do any road racing and very (VERY) little to no training on the road because of the road safety issues where I live. (Think rollers/indoor trainer plus lots of forest/farm/jeep tracks on a MTB). So the only reason not to get a dedicated tri/TT bike is that a lot of sprint/olympic races in KZN require road bars.

Alfa147's solution of setting up an aero road bike as a TT bike looks great, but what about doing it the other way around and taking a tri/TT bike like a Specialized Transition or a Felt S32 and swapping out the TT bars when required by race rules with road drops, longer stem, short, closed clip-ons & conventional shifters? I realise this is a compromise, but is it a workable solution i.e. will you be able to get a good fit, will you still benefit from the more open hip angle and will the bike be manageable on a loop circuit?

I think you will benefit more from buying a very aero road bike and converting it, than a TT bike and converting it.

Like alfa you could go bmc TMR, or Merida Reacto and if you can find a used sworks venge (not the ViAS type) would work pretty well

Here is a link where they discuss some of the challenges you may face:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/convert-tri-bike-into-road-bike-256404.html 

Edited by Jurgens Smit

I am in the same situation, done 3 70.3 Ironmans this year on my old (very old) road bike. Also been in limbo about getting a TT bike and the advice my coach gave me was: "if you are going to be doing this for the next few years, it is worth the investment in a TT bike, else stick to the road bike if it is a once off"

Adding to this that a proper TT position helps for the run...........and in the TRI world it is all about this run. Some good deals in the classifieds for TT bikes.

I am currently waiting for the new 2018 stock from Canyon as they don't have my size currently.

Thanks for the input!

With your experience, is the disc necessary, or do mid - deep deep sections work well?

At this time I'm struggling to wrap my head around dropping 10-20k on a wheel that'l only be used maybe 4 times a year.

I actually just bought this disc about two weeks ago, so have not tested it yet. I usually ride a 90mm at the rear and front is 66mm

From what I can see having ridden a disc on my bike only once previously.(My mate has same bike with disc and five spoke front) is that you really need to be going pretty fast(IMO, >40km/h) to get real benefit. I guess some could argue that you can get that sailing effect as well. I was in the same boat as you, is it really worthwhile? and personally I would say it depends on how competitive you want to be.  I guess it also depends on the type of cause you ride as well, this will have a significant affect.

In the next two weeks I will be testing the wheel and will be able to give quantitive information(All our testing we try on the track so have a fair idea if there is benefit or not)

I think you will benefit more from buying a very aero road bike and converting it, than a TT bike and converting it.

Like alfa you could go bmc TMR, or Merida Reacto and if you can find a used sworks venge (not the ViAS type) would work pretty well

Here is a link where they discuss some of the challenges you may face:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/convert-tri-bike-into-road-bike-256404.html 

I agree with this.

I must stress that I also ride the bike very little, live in JHB now and only really ride the cradle on weekends. But without doubt, getting further forward on the bike - like these bikes allow - and finding a nice comfortable position to rest arms, IMO, will definitely make you go faster and feel better coming off the bike.  

People will always debate the cost versus benefit and in reality, this is always proportional to your environment. I know I can't race this bike that often, but it doesn't mean I can't ride it. Its my favourite bike and sometimes a chilled blast around the Cradle is just as fun as if I was racing. Also, many of my mates have changed normal road bikes to TT and that's how they got into the TT bike story. If that's all that one can afford for now, I would still recommend it and then you will see for yourself that it reaches a limit. Either from performance or comfort.

TT bikes or aero road bikes, way to go IMO. Keep us updated