[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Having been exclusively obsessed with MTB since I started cycling last year, this is the first time that I've paid any attention to the Cape Town Cycle Tour and I'm seeing LOADS of entries for sale in the classifieds and on other places like Facebook. Is this normal? There are new ads being posted every day, some trying to make every sent of their money back (i.e. the full R540), others literally giving it away for FREE just so that the entries don't go to waste?

I would think that with only 6 days left to register substitutions, most people would be listing their available entries for competitive prices in order to at least make something back rather than waiting it out at full price and then not selling it at all, but the fact that there are so many is weird? Or is that the case every year, with the sheer volume of people entering pushing up the amount of people that fall into the small percentage that can no longer make it?

I can only speak for my self having sold entries in the past.

Entries open in september, they used to get sold out in the first week, so some of us have that in our heads. We enter straight away and then try and align our lives/finances/fitness/etc. to be ready for March.

It doesnt always work out, so we land up selling the entry around about this time of the year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any meteorologists present on here that have access to some military-grade weather prediction models? 

It is just too early to rely on anything commercially available.

you up town visitors ... are you going to bring us some water?

also where are you guys staying ? In town or where?

I asked a few pages ago about bringing my own water. I wanted to find someone driving down to bring some for me. Got told to rather buy when I am here as then you get my money. So now I am confused, do you guys want me to bring my own water or buy bottled water????

We stay in fish hoek. Have done every year since my Dad's first one in 1989.

Any meteorologists present on here that have access to some military-grade weather prediction models? 

We camp every year, and my weather prediction works as follows:

If I wake up in the morning, with the tent being pressed into my face, it is going to be a bad day. If the leaves on the trees are not moving, good day.

Anything earlier than that is just a guess as to what the weather might be.

Weather has been really dodgy to predict lately, but it does look like we won't be getting a very strong SE. Maybe some. But it has been hot and muggy the past 2 weeks.

I do see a pattern of some Southerlies and rain in the next few weeks.

Edited by Moridin

May I swing past sometime and take a peek in your crystal ball? There's a few things I'm interested in knowing

My tea leaves say strong winds as well

Is it just me, or is the start still in Hertzog Boulevard? https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/16480618 I got that route off the Cycle Tour website: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/ctct/route-information/garmin-navigation/

After a ‘Hoopla’, and the crack of the starter’s pistol, the new start sees riders head past the Cape Town Castle for the first time in 35 years, before hitting the first challenge of the day – Nelson Mandela Boulevard – a little later than before.

Oh right, I see the route description mentions going past the Castle: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/ctct/route-information/route-description-and-map/

Guess the GPS route is just the old one.

Edited by mikkelz

it is now HIGH time for weather speculation, bring on the soothsayers!

I asked a few pages ago about bringing my own water. I wanted to find someone driving down to bring some for me. Got told to rather buy when I am here as then you get my money. So now I am confused, do you guys want me to bring my own water or buy bottled water????

We stay in fish hoek. Have done every year since my Dad's first one in 1989.

driving/flying in water (Siemens flying in water!) is just a token help - it does didly squat to the real picture - the real good thing it brings is not physical water, but awareness. If you really want to do your bit, just be mindful of how much you use when you're here. short showers/flush with grey water and we're all cool in the (used to be full) pool.

Just a question

If starting at the back at 10am whats the average speed you need to do to not get cut off at Glencairn then Noordhoek

By my calculations, 16 and 15km/h respectively. See attached map with cut-off times

Agree +/- 16kmh.Jubilee Sq in Simonstown will be a good place to judge if you have to up the ave speed a little .You will make up time after Cape point.Got to the finish with the crew with time to spare.Just don't have any flats or other mechanicals.HAVE FUN its a blast!!!

Agree +/- 16kmh.Jubilee Sq in Simonstown will be a good place to judge if you have to up the ave speed a little .You will make up time after Cape point.Got to the finish with the crew with time to spare.Just don't have any flats or other mechanicals.HAVE FUN its a blast!!!

It's 1.5 hours cut off time to Constantia but from there to Glencairn is only 45 min.. that's the tight part 

Just a question

If starting at the back at 10am whats the average speed you need to do to not get cut off at Glencairn then Noordhoek

the average speed needed works out to about 1 cuppachino, 1 glass of champers with a random family road side and 4 beers, with a loo stop in between.

I see the classifieds are full of people trying to sell their entries, but quiet a few wants to sell it at full price, not taking (purposefully or innocently) into account that there is a substitution cost involved for the person buying it.

hmm probably more of a statement than question