MTB pedal choices

Rapunzel

My faithful spd pedals are very badly worn and are needing replacing and that old saying keeps rearing it's head ...

choose any 2 of the 3: cheap / strong / light

Choices:

Shimano 520 - cheap (R550), strong, heavy (420g)

Shimano Deore XT - R1090 (on special), strong, 350g

Shimano XTR - R1700 (on special), strong and 310g

Look S-track - R1000, 142g  (weight per pedal so 284g)

Time XC2 - R700 , 302g

Time XC4 - R650, 294g

I have no idea on durability and ease of use of the look and time pedals and would appreciate info from those who have used them and what made them good, bad or ugly. Use will be predominantly marathon (stage races), xco and general trail riding.

Edited by Rapunzel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look S-track - R1000, 142g

Had these for the last 3 years on 2 of my bikes and have had no issues at all, they handle all conditions really well. Theres no battling when your cleats are full of mud either. They still pop in quite easily.

Thats my 5c

Had these for the last 3 years on 2 of my bikes and have had no issues at all, they handle all conditions really well. Theres no battling when your cleats are full of mud either. They still pop in quite easily.

Thats my 5c

Plus none of your mates get to test your bikes out cause they will be rocking SPDs

Plus none of your mates get to test your bikes out cause they will be rocking SPDs

I prefer it that way. Its like testing their wife out... same same  :D

Stay away from the Time outjies if you don't like float.

Played around with my old pedals a week or two ago and nearly saw my behind.........

Waaaaayyyy too much float compared to the Candys

Thats my 5c

^^^

what he said

Xt is the best ( even just the 520's )

S-tracks are good , but springs wear eventually and axle bearings also wear very quick in comparison ( replacements available at A hefty price ) <- people are going to stone me for saying that.

Thats my 5c

and unclipping?

M540 and XT pedals are essentially the same pedal: 

Rebuild easily (Or never) 

Similar weight

Slightly different look. 

S-Tracks also a good option, had mine on the SS for a few years without issue. 

I've got some PD-M520's and XT's. Cant't tell the difference when clipping in. So, I'd probably get some M540's, to ditch the plastic collar of the M520's. Else the M520's are perfect.

Not a weight weenie, and haven't tried anything else, so can't comment on LOOK or TIME...

S-Track... the end.

Candies are good as long as you don't want to take your foot off the pedals - like ever... especially when you are in a hurry.

And the s-track trail cage is great for a bit more support.

tried spd and time and candies. SPD was not bad.

Edited by s14phoenix

Shimano... Bought a set of 747's in 1997 (the one thing is still have the box for) and I still use them. I bought new pedals a few years ago, and wished I hadn't wasted my money... My advice... buy right and you only buy once.