[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

mecheng89

Pace was fast with the juniors pacing.

It was actually the U17 boys.

The juniors had their own race.

Pity I missed the race. Sounds like it was fun.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome race.  Well organised.

The parking for the Pta guys can be improved.  

Other than that no complaints.  

The organizers went out of their way on the setup.  Still issues with "Full" road closure so they'll work on that for next year.

Oh....and Jakaranda can lower the speaker volume a couple of decibels at the entertainment venue.  Us old people battle with such volume.  Tunes was good though!

I Started in BL however couldnt get to the front to actually start nevertheless i started in CL (08:05) and off we went - I felt very good in the race, we had a nice bunch going and everyone was very aware of their surroundings and no hairy moments.

On the 54km mark as you turn left to make your way back a piece of 5mm steel cable wedged into my cassette and forced me off - that cost me dearly as i could not catch the group again albeit i could see the bunch ahead but slowly fading away.

The last 45km were extremely tough as i had nobody i could wheelsuck a bit for relief however a few groups were afforded that luxury when I came past but they seemed to fall off on the climbs. It was absolutely awesome and i really tried my best.

Will do this race again for sure - there was full road closure for at least 60km of the race and the rest was shared however there was not one issue we or I experienced in CL.

My cousin and i saw the crash in Mens elite - the very sharp left hander onto the ring road in alberton, hope that guy is ok - he came down very hard and straight into the rail  :eek: .

I finished with a 2m48.56 - was super fun.

Sweet

danny

The event was advertised as full road closure, was it not? Read somewhere you guys were sharing roads with fast moving traffic (cars doing 120km). Is there any truth to this?

Glad you had a good day out, but everything I read sad full road closures. They should have been open about it only being partial road closures. Sadly, now their advertising cannot be trusted. 

The event was advertised as full road closure, was it not? Read somewhere you guys were sharing roads with fast moving traffic (cars doing 120km). Is there any truth to this?

Glad you had a good day out, but everything I read sad full road closures. They should have been open about it only being partial road closures. Sadly, now their advertising cannot be trusted. 

I do not think is was the fault of the organizers but actually Ekurhuleni traffic department. They were just standing next to the road and taxi's were passing them and they did not move a muscle...

The race was good and hard. If you read the race bible that was available online you will see that it was not a 100% road closure. As stated above the Ekurhuleni Metro did nothing to stop cars if that was their brief. On the highway back home it was a bit confusing. Should we ride left or right of the cones. Once sorted we had most of the highway to ourselves. To the idiot in the white 100Cycle organisers bakkie that tried to pass the VB bunch just after that sharp left turn in Alberton. Man youre an idiot!! You nearly killed some riders n the VB bunch.

To the VB rider 356 do you really think its necessary to throw your gel sachets on the road and not put them back in your pocket like everyone else?

I will be back next year. Lets hope this race can survive.

Scroll back up, and you will see the photos taken on the Trichardts Road bridge over the N17. Any rider dropped on the N17 would be on their own against traffic.

The traffic convoy behind the Elites were only going as fast as the Elites. However cars catching up to the convey were travelling as fast as they wanted to.

Elites were riding in the slow lane and shoulder while the Vets bunches (VA and VB) were in the fast lane with traffic passing them in the slow lane/shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of it now, When we came up to the N17, at the end of the on-ramp, there was no clear indication which side should be used. Vehicles were blocking the left lane and a barrier the right.

I wonder if we weren't supposed to be using the left, but as soon as the elites passed, they let the cars go on the left as well. In the photos there are almost not cars next to the Juniors (?) bunch, but when we were going passed there(about 15min later) the queue was constant.

But ja, it was strange that we used the right lane, meaning we would need to cross traffic twice.

Otherwise, it was a great route. The venue and surrounding area was nice and clean.

I just wonder how many people jumped into earlier groups? Seeing as there was no way to police this with the race numbers.

I didnt do the race but I have heard from numerous very unhappy people regarding the traffic issues in Alberton and between Heidelberg and Carnival City.

Also major littering between Heidelberg and Carnival City.

Just what I read on fb. The majority of the riders was happy and confirmed they will do the event again.

Yes their was not full road closure for the whole route and yes people will be unhappy about it. Lets also be honest that all of the races do have a risk involved.

Let us not try and target an event and look for the wrongs only. Thats just wrong to do. I will also be able to do it to each and every race and find fault with it. All of the races do run somewhere along dangerous roads or dangerous road surfaces and no race or organizer got it 100% right or close to it.

Overall I thought it was a good event for their first one, everything seemed to go ahead with no major glitches and it looked like a lot of effort went into this event, I will be back next year, however I did see a lot of comments on twitter from p*ssed off residents in the effected areas where they claim to have not been notified about road closures so perhaps some better communication to residents next year.

Oh ja and thanks to Spinnekop for gooi'ing the VA bunch the middle finger as you passed us getting onto the N17   :devil: :D  . Well ridden!!

Oh ja and thanks to Spinnekop for gooi'ing the VA bunch the middle finger as you passed us getting onto the N17   :devil: :D  . Well ridden!!

BHAHHAHAHA.

That was fun catching you guys.  

You ladies normally put hours into us old ballies.   :P  :lol:

BHAHHAHAHA.

That was fun catching you guys.  

You ladies normally put hours into us old ballies.   :P  :lol:

dankie tog ek was nie daar om so embarrassed te voel nie whaha 

It's their first one so there will be "teething" problems. Regards road closure I knew full closure on first attempt will have its issues, lets not forget when the 947 or 94.7 as it was known then first started with full road closure it was not complete as i ended up sharing the road with vehicles AND there were many moans from residents in the area about the inconvenience as well.

I didnt do the race but I have heard from numerous very unhappy people regarding the traffic issues in Alberton and between Heidelberg and Carnival City.

Also major littering between Heidelberg and Carnival City.

Just what I read on fb. The majority of the riders was happy and confirmed they will do the event again.

Yes their was not full road closure for the whole route and yes people will be unhappy about it. Lets also be honest that all of the races do have a risk involved.

Let us not try and target an event and look for the wrongs only. Thats just wrong to do. I will also be able to do it to each and every race and find fault with it. All of the races do run somewhere along dangerous roads or dangerous road surfaces and no race or organizer got it 100% right or close to it.

Not replying directly to your quotes, but rather emphasizing a few points...

1. A number of businesses are asking if Germiston Wheelers had anything to do with the race, as they are unhappy. People in my area, that know I cycle, asked me what was happening (assuming I was part of it). Guilty by association requires some hard work to patch up.

2. The cyclists might have got what they wanted, but it doesn't help if the residents are up in arms - the organisers need to win the public over, and get them to support the event or at least be aware of it.

Biggest problem was the lack of on the ground advertising - social media (FB and Twitter) is great, so too is Radio Kakaranda, but do they reach everyone affected? No, definitely not.

For this event to get better, then need to do what they missed out this year... engage with the communities they pass through. As mentioned in a few previous posts before the event date, where Verwoerdpark was completely blocked off - not a single exit point on the route, and not a single sign to indicate the road closure. Of course residents are going to be irate.

Not replying directly to your quotes, but rather emphasizing a few points...

1. A number of businesses are asking if Germiston Wheelers had anything to do with the race, as they are unhappy. People in my area, that know I cycle, asked me what was happening (assuming I was part of it). Guilty by association requires some hard work to patch up.

2. The cyclists might have got what they wanted, but it doesn't help if the residents are up in arms - the organisers need to win the public over, and get them to support the event or at least be aware of it.

Biggest problem was the lack of on the ground advertising - social media (FB and Twitter) is great, so too is Radio Kakaranda, but do they reach everyone affected? No, definitely not.

For this event to get better, then need to do what they missed out this year... engage with the communities they pass through. As mentioned in a few previous posts before the event date, where Verwoerdpark was completely blocked off - not a single exit point on the route, and not a single sign to indicate the road closure. Of course residents are going to be irate.

1. I do understand your frustration. We experience it as cyclist also on a daily basis by the "hate"we get from motorist, etc. You also decided to be on the committee of Germiston Wheelers and must have know that extra scrutiny would have come to your side in the event that any cyclist or passing through of an event you will be asked questions. 

2. the same can be said of cyclist also using the road and breaking the rules. Motorist is also up in arms about some cyclist behaving bad

I was not in the area to see what notices was up but also the same are for other races. But people knew about the race as it was widely advertised. As also said on previous comments the event is needed for cycling as a whole. You say Kakaranda, that's an personal feeling to the radio station but at least are they getting involved in cycling. 100Cycle, rock in the something at Redbarn that was in April, Kremetart cycling race that died out due to no sponsors last year. Rather look at the positives of the event. Then also just by the feedback from so many cyclist is that the event was great and that they will def be back next year if it goes ahead. Let's hope iyt does