[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

mecheng89

What are the interest in this event?

I had a more detailed look at the route.  The sections south from the N12 looks like the normal roads we use during the Emperors, Carnival and RFS - so all good.  As others stated, the route through Benoni (towards Baps) and back via R23/Atlas will be a serious safety issue if not managed very carefully.  Can't seem to find anything on the website on full road closure?

Not sure if I am willing to enter this one???

THERE IS FULL ROAD CLOSURE :-)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often ride on this piece of stretch, all the way to Bapsfontein. The road is not the best but to be honest races like Fast One, Berg en Dale and R4S do have worst sections

Yip they did, hope it will be and as I look at the map it do seem that we will have a short section on the R21 highway

why is so ideal for many do to it, flat race

Hey Charles, I like your decent replies, so don't want to knock you, but I've done both the (long) Berge & Dale and RFS and the Pretoria road section is probably the worst of all the roads I train/race on in the East Rand, especially going South. From Petit Northbound, it's actually great.

But if they are intending to fix the road/holes before the race, I'll be over the moon.  Lekker roads for us to train on afterwards. :-)

Apologies, only seeing this reply now

that they part of the event, they will or so I hope put more focus on repairing the potholes in these sections. 

Just a quick fb serach. Go West music festival, color run, etc is the events they done. 

So their first cycle race!!  :eek:  :eek:   Good luck.  Seems they have some good cyclists giving them advice. 

Hey Charles, I like your decent replies, so don't want to knock you, but I've done both the (long) Berge & Dale and RFS and the Pretoria road section is probably the worst of all the roads I train/race on in the East Rand, especially going South. From Petit Northbound, it's actually great.

But if they are intending to fix the road/holes before the race, I'll be over the moon.  Lekker roads for us to train on afterwards. :-)

no need to get ugly, just different options

Do believe it will be more patch work than full resurface, to late to do that now

So their first cycle race!!  :eek:  :eek:   Good luck.  Seems they have some good cyclists giving them advice. 

Event is an event. Also we don't know if they brought somebody into their company that do have a lot of experience in cycling event organizing, the municipality will also have all the contacts and in house to be able to get the traffic cops organised

That's the concern, plus the fact that residents could possible cause chaos - it's one thing organising a colour run through a small suburb, but a cycle race is something else. It covers a greater area, and relies on quite a bit of manpower at the many intersections to maintain "full" road closure.

• 3 weeks later...

Will this race be ok for someone new to group riding if they kind of just ride on their own or in a relaxed group? 

Asking for a friend.  

Edit: An assuming there will be full road closures. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Will this race be ok for someone new to group riding if they kind of just ride on their own or in a relaxed group? 

Asking for a friend.  

Edit: An assuming there will be full road closures. 

Should be ok, if all the safety measures in place.

Should be ok, if all the safety measures in place.

With a running race scheduled covering part of the course past Colgate its going to be a challenge. 

This threads too busy, i dont have time to read all or in fact, any of it.

I just want to know if there. Will be total road closure. Can someone please enlighten me

This threads too busy, i dont have time to read all or in fact, any of it.

I just want to know if there. Will be total road closure. Can someone please enlighten me

This thread is 3 pages. Not exactly a long read. 

Anyway. The organisers say yes, but there are some Hubbers that are skeptical of this claim as the route is along some major roads. No announcements have gone out yet. There is also a question of safety and controlling traffic. On top of that, there is a Colgate running road race which will make this race even more tricky. 

This thread is 3 pages. Not exactly a long read.

Anyway. The organisers say yes, but there are some Hubbers that are skeptical of this claim as the route is along some major roads. No announcements have gone out yet. There is also a question of safety and controlling traffic. On top of that, there is a Colgate running road race which will make this race even more tricky.

Thanks for the very useful summary. Please keep me apprised only of such developments, which you, in your sole discretion, deem necessary in order to enable me to execute a rational decision on whether or not to do this race.

I have reservations but plan on doing it albeit very cautiously. 

Not clear why the org's have not approached GW for input, based in Germiston and renowned for their Carnival race they would be able to provide plenty of advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tandems can now enter.

Just saw that. I wonder what made them change their minds? Not enough entries yet?

Also, I see that it is categorised under Grand Fondo and not Racing. I wonder where the start group will be then? Hopefully before the Grand Fondo masses.

Just saw that. I wonder what made them change their minds? Not enough entries yet?

Also, I see that it is categorised under Grand Fondo and not Racing. I wonder where the start group will be then? Hopefully before the Grand Fondo masses.

Yeah either not enough entries or a lot of tandem riders enquiring. 

I would assume they fit them in between the vets and alphabet soup but you never know. Imagine the lead tandems trying to pass a bunch of slower riders who then try suck wheel.

You going to do it?

Yeah either not enough entries or a lot of tandem riders enquiring. 

I would assume they fit them in between the vets and alphabet soup but you never know. Imagine the lead tandems trying to pass a bunch of slower riders who then try suck wheel.

You going to do it?

Still haven't decided yet, but now with the tandem cat we may. Will decide this week.