Mechanical doping is a go? :/

Christie

In other news, the UCI's mechanical doping test does not prove to be that effective:

From cyclingnews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doubts-raised-over-effectiveness-of-uci-tests-for-mechanical-doping/

It does not detect a "Ryder Hesjedal" wheel mounted motor at all

Gives false positives

(And have not caught anybody)

Imagine if their dope testing for chemicals is not efficient either?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are body x-ray scanners that are used on our mines here in SA, portable ones as well. you could easily hang the bike up by the front wheel in the scanner and take an x-ray scan. the scan is 15s so very little time in dead. Now if these scanners can pick up a 1carrot diamond that has been swallowed then it will pick up any dodgy tech.

There are body x-ray scanners that are used on our mines here in SA, portable ones as well. you could easily hang the bike up by the front wheel in the scanner and take an x-ray scan. the scan is 15s so very little time in dead. Now if these scanners can pick up a 1carrot diamond that has been swallowed then it will pick up any dodgy tech.

They did use those -- or investigate those -- for a while, but can't due medical concerns.  You have to setup a place at the finish line to do 200 x 15 second X-ray bursts, and not hit the spectators.  It requires a licensed operator and guarantees of the setup in just about every country.

You'll still get false positives.  If you doubt that, go to your nearest airport.

In other news, the UCI's mechanical doping test does not prove to be that effective:

From cyclingnews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doubts-raised-over-effectiveness-of-uci-tests-for-mechanical-doping/

It does not detect a "Ryder Hesjedal" wheel mounted motor at all

Gives false positives

(And have not caught anybody)

Imagine if their dope testing for chemicals is not efficient either?

It sounds sensationalist.

Yes, you'll get false positives for magnets when you look at speed, cadence sensors, and at electronic derailleurs.  You might even get false positives at some hubs (some hubs use magnets to move pawls.)  This isn't a surprise and I hope the UCI has instructed the operators as to the correct use.

False negatives are possible.  So give more details, and inform the testers correctly.  Don't say "there was one instance in one test where it failed."  Or did I miss that bit?

(biological dope testing also has false positives and negatives.  sorry, the world isn't black and white.)

Cat S60 android smartphone is about R11k, comes with an integrated thermal camera. (you can get them for abour R600 per month on contract) - i have one, it is awesome

UCI should just have about 20 of these in each officials hand, can just monitor the guys riding, or over the line. simple simple

http://www.cybertrek.co.za/5430-5069-thickbox/cat-s60-32gb-waterproof-unlocked-4g-smartphone-thermal-camera-phone.jpg

Those Ipads they use are "heat" detectors but they scan the bikes when they stationary. #fail

Of course those motors wont emit heat while the bike is standing still

Cat S60 android smartphone is about R11k, comes with an integrated thermal camera. (you can get them for abour R600 per month on contract) - i have one, it is awesome

UCI should just have about 20 of these in each officials hand, can just monitor the guys riding, or over the line. simple simple

http://www.cybertrek.co.za/5430-5069-thickbox/cat-s60-32gb-waterproof-unlocked-4g-smartphone-thermal-camera-phone.jpg

Thermal cameras have a massive problem with false positives.

A protour rider might generate 400 watts on the last climb.  A human being is only 25% efficient, so that means 1600 watts of calories gets you 400 watts on the wheel and 1,200 watts of heat.

If there's a downhill, your wheels might heat up to 180 degrees using the brakes.

400 watts through the tire also heats up the tire.

Now you're trying to find a 100 watt electric motor?

Those Ipads they use are "heat" detectors but they scan the bikes when they stationary. #fail

Of course those motors wont emit heat while the bike is standing still

Magnet detectors.  Maybe with the compass, maybe something else.

Electric motors have magnets.  Even when not spinning.

The UCI doesn't actually want to catch the top guys with motors. All PR.

Same way only 'close to retiring' pro's and mid pack domestiques get bust for drugs.

From this pic it's obvious that you have a motor in your front wheel. We will have to do a physical inspection by cutting it open.

Same way only 'close to retiring' pro's and mid pack domestiques get bust for drugs.

I don't think its a "don't want too", I think its more a "can't catch them" thing, but I agree its a PR thing.

Thermal cameras have a massive problem with false positives.

A protour rider might generate 400 watts on the last climb.  A human being is only 25% efficient, so that means 1600 watts of calories gets you 400 watts on the wheel and 1,200 watts of heat.

If there's a downhill, your wheels might heat up to 180 degrees using the brakes.

400 watts through the tire also heats up the tire.

Now you're trying to find a 100 watt electric motor?

I think thermal cameras make sense for detection, not for confirmation.

You'd need to get the bike inspected and motor found no matter what sort of scanning anything you're using.

What this guy said. There's always a sacrificial lamb 2 weeks before a grand tour.

Edited by Duane_Bosch