How forked is your fork?

Tankman

Now I want the ribbon to replace my boost pike...although have to admit the pike ain't half bad ????... some say...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I want the ribbon to replace my boost pike...although have to admit the pike ain't half bad ... some say...

Let me save up for the boost pike first... 

Let me save up for the boost pike first...

its deal its steal it's the sale of the f'ing century ....????????

Now I want the ribbon to replace my boost pike...although have to admit the pike ain't half bad ????... some say...

Mattoc. Unless you need a 29er more than 120mm. In which case meh.

Honesty the 2nd best fork I've ridden beside my 66

Boost spaced, clearance? 

So, regarding the whole Brunox debate. I performed a lower leg service this weekend and this was the state of the foam rings: 

post-62668-0-58097500-1506328340_thumb.jpg

I've had this bike since Jan '17 and this was the first time pulling the lowers off. I also apply Brunox to the outside of the seal after every wash. 

All in all, I honestly don't think that the Brunox mucks up the seals/foam rings. 

So, regarding the whole Brunox debate. I performed a lower leg service this weekend and this was the state of the foam rings: 

I've had this bike since Jan '17 and this was the first time pulling the lowers off. I also apply Brunox to the outside of the seal after every wash. 

All in all, I honestly don't think that the Brunox mucks up the seals/foam rings. 

Your experience ... my experience looks like this 90% of the time, sometimes worse!

Without a doubt, not the way your foamrings should look or the way it would look if you didnt use that little black and orange can of snake ...

As Simon would say, the evidence is inconclusive.

post-4352-0-56419700-1506335128_thumb.jpg

Your experience ... my experience looks like this 90% of the time, sometimes worse!

Without a doubt, not the way your foamrings should look or the way it would look if you didnt use that little black and orange can of snake ...

As Simon would say, the evidence is inconclusive.

attachicon.gifClipboard01.jpg

T-man. I'm no Brunox evangelist. I'll stop using it and have a look during the next lowers service what the condition of the oil and foam rings are. Will be an interesting comparison. 

The foam dust rings on the inside of your fork are suposed to be kept "wet" by the oil in the fork and keep the stanchions lubed with said oil.The rubber seals on top are meant to keep gunk and dust and sh@t out of the fork.

In many cases "lube" sprayed onto the stanchions on the outside of the dust seal will only help dust and gunk and sh@t to slip past the seals and get stuck in the foam rings wich in turn will rub on the stanchions and cause the dreaded stanchion wear.[emoji33]

That is why many fork/shock manufacturers discourage against the use of outer lube product and rather encourage regular fork/shock services wich include replacement of fork oil, foam rings and dust seals to reduce the risk of wear on your fork/shock.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifIMG_0315.JPG

Which fork ?

And if you had to make A rough guess how may hours ?

Replaced the seals and foamies in my 34 late May 

But the riding ( probs 50 hours max) has been very very very dusty ( as in the stanchions are coated in dust after A few meters) acing to pull the lowers and have A look 

But I'm short 20wt gold 

Q. Need to have Rockshox major service done.

Contact details some one in Ctn area plse

Can Pm me.

Thanks

I believe that the 120mm model is in fact adjustable to a distance of 140mm quite easily. The price does not seem as enticing as the 27.5 version was. One hopes that Chain Reaction Cycles will have some special offers on 29 versions. 

T-man. I'm no Brunox evangelist. I'll stop using it and have a look during the next lowers service what the condition of the oil and foam rings are. Will be an interesting comparison. 

Cool man, just have a closer look at your foamrings. It kind of looks like there are black spots starting to form and they might end up looking like the ones in my example given some time.

In the example I used above, the fork was not serviced in two years and the owner started using the external lube little over a year back.  My guess was that the foamrings were bone dry when he started using the external lube, which made things worse.

In my opinion the combination Rock Shox Foamrings and external lube is a far worse than that lube combined with Fox foamrings.  The Fox foamrings are much more dense and retain their oil way better.

Far too often when I open a Rock Shox up, the foamrings are dry.

Archived