Cost of HOSTING a cycling event

seven

After a recent MTB event, I had a bit of a chat to the event organisers, and organisers of some other events that were also present on the day...

I was absolutely shocked at the costs involved in hosting an event... Many of these costs are related to compliance, and cannot be avoided...

Out of the 5 organisers I spoke to (with some big name events behind some of them), none of them are making a profit yet.  Most of them were aiming at a break-even point at around year 4 only!!!

... So it would seem that its not (always) the organisers screwing over riders, but the system in which we are forced to operate???

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people on thehub will tell you it doesn't matter how much it costs. Competition is the bread of life and without it we would become dullards.

The event organisers should also definitely fly out a host of pros and their teams to make the event better. 

The system is not flawed, people must just pay more because, well, if the event is fun and competitive and we get a winner then the process, the cost, the backhands and the stink don't matter.  :ph34r:

I'm involved with the organisation of a small race on the East Rand in aid of one of the local schools. We've been doing it for a couple of years now and the numbers are growing steadily, so every year is better, but almost all the profit the school makes is from the food stalls at the finish. Still worth it for them though and for me the greater value is in getting kids on bikes - and the smiles on the faces when they finish!

After a recent MTB event, I had a bit of a chat to the event organisers, and organisers of some other events that were also present on the day...

I was absolutely shocked at the costs involved in hosting an event... Many of these costs are related to compliance, and cannot be avoided...

Out of the 5 organisers I spoke to (with some big name events behind some of them), none of them are making a profit yet.  Most of them were aiming at a break-even point at around year 4 only!!!

... So it would seem that its not (always) the organisers screwing over riders, but the system in which we are forced to operate???

Give us the numbers guy.

Those okes are making a killing!!!  :ph34r:

It's easier for events without pro's - because once the pro's are involved, the organisers will have to gift their entry fees and accommodation.

Knowing a few organisers of some of the bigger and smaller events the cost is ridiculous.

paying for all the stuff to have the event safe and compliant is the big issue. I have heard that R100k for a mtb event of fair size (300 entries) is cheap.

We where thinking of creating a small event at a local trail also for charity fund raising but after we did the sums we would have been out of pocket ourselves and not a nickel to be donated to the charity.

Even on charity events everyone wants paid and honestly very few souls offer to donate any services free of charge - sad but such is life and the truth.

This is why finding sponsors is important and crucial.

Edited by s14phoenix

My personal opinion - one day events are really good value for what you get, stage races not so much......

Mmmm.....why do something if you do not benefit from it financially. Key is you have to have sponsorship.

Yes, without sponsorship, no ways...

Profit?? Well, because there's more to it than money in one person's pocket.

Ambulance, first aid and portaloo costs per person alone were 33% of entry fees for a relatively small/medium sized MTB event I'm involved in. We cannot pay marshalls and no where near enough club members volunteer to help with the event so we rely on those who will do it in exchange for a donation to a charity. Marshalls are one of the biggest challenges and critical to running an event.

It's easier for events without pro's - because once the pro's are involved, the organisers will have to gift their entry fees and accommodation.

It's a bit of a trade-off, having pros there and talking about it on social media raise the profile of your race and helps for marketing (and it's not as if you hand out 100's of entries for pros) - but whether it is worthwhile is debatable

I've been involved from an event organisers perspective and believe me the compliance costs are the killers. I'm a bit out of touch with the numbers.. bit it's the indirect compliance costs that are the killers.... Health and safety rep.... Ambulance services...etc... Then there's the route markings tables fencing finishing area.

Rider appeasement costs are also quite a big chunk... Timing... Medals and clobber... Streamlined registration and online services.. Prob the biggest cost in fact.

In my opinion it is under unsustainable... And my organisers are now shifting to trail running where the numbers are growing.. The regulations are less and you seem to be able to get away with charging a small fortune for entry.

Roof running is the cheapest when it comes to Organisation costs. We lost our main sponsor this year a few months before the event (despite committing to a the year deal and this being the last year) and with no sponsor... We still provided the same service and Just made a small profit to help with the annual club costs

... I'll try and get the guys involved to post directly... But stuff I could remember...

Safety officer (compulsory) - 8-10k per day

Ambulances - CSA and Sport/Rec act specify the quantity/type/vehicles/mobile clinic etc - 15k +++ per day

CSA fees - LOADS

Any structure bigger than 3x3 need eng certificate

Insurance

Toilets

I think a lot of races skip some of the requirements to save costs...