Ironman 70.3 East London 2018

clivem

Wow, what a day!

All in all a great day, the first training week for IMSA2018 done and dusted!

A great day indeed & solid effort... but only if you get that bladder infection attended to ASAP as a priority.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A great day indeed & solid effort... but only if you get that bladder infection attended to ASAP as a priority.

Definitely - serves me right for not wanting to pee in my wet suit...and then forgetting about it and only following through 4 hours later on the run. Never too old to be taught a lesson.

everything & more – #1622

I was literally inspired to start up training again after a 3 year gap by a friend that is an absolute beast on the bike, but has spanned his massive wings to encompass the swim & run as he continues his target of SUB100-12 (PERSONAL LIFE GOAL) … this inspiration, and a short meaningful whattsapp chat in September and the deal was sealed  

all forecasts pointed to a wet start, with a favorable mild SE to carry us out to the Berlin off-ramp (uphill) and a cooling breeze in our faces for the race to transition (downhill)  :whistling:

as the SWIM for me is a survival game, and only done as it’s part of the event it did not help matters that everything was set back by 15min + due to the car carrier coming in – thankfully it was overcast as the wetsuit gets seriously uncomfortable with heat / sweat / humidity

I duly seeded myself with the 40+min group and all went according to plan. What would a swim be without the standard elbow in the face, threesum on the stroke and attempted manslaughter rounding the buoys. I duly made use of the wetsuit ‘strippers’, but made a point not to lie flat on my back as it was evident on the bike leg who had decided to roll in the wet sand. My swim time was right on target and the day was off to a good start.

I was very happy to be on the bike, and as conditions were still very good I was looking forward to a solid ride. I had forgotten how bumpy and uneven the R72 down towards the Nahoon River was so I was not surprised that my profile aerodrink had worked itself loose and had also taken my garmin with it as I was making the turn left to start the Hemingsway climb out. The stop to repair the situation felt like ages (2min) as my shaking hands just could not get the bottle & velcro strap as well as the garmin to work in unison. A quick glance back for traffic and I was off again only to realise that still being in Big Blade was not gonna work ! Some light rain, cool conditions with the SE at the back, the ride out to Berlin felt good and personal HR / Cadence target was still good. Making the turn was when once again the realization dawns that there is always what feels like a headwind out / headwind back – bring it on. All in all, the conditions were near perfect and the bike leg was some 11 min better than target.

still feeling pretty good, I started the run leg wayyyy quicker than planned. The first 3km were done in a little over 15min until a ‘legend spectator’ hollered out – “feeling good – slow down” .. soon it was the dreaded Bunker’s and the mandatory walk to save on the legs. The walk would finally go longer and further than planned, as by now the intense heat, humidity and humility of the day was taking it’s toll. It is then that I saw SUB100-12 coming from the opposite side and again I was filled with sheer enthusiasm, spirit and respect to keep on moving forward. The run leg was brutal, it always is but again very happy to have come in on target.

My third effort in the bag, a 3 year gap to mature and understand my body with a PB by some 30min from the best effort of five years ago.

I am sure when times are at their toughest, when the demons  :devil:  are at their worse we all ask : Why do we do this ? : It’s simple some 48hrs later – because of those around us that inspire and because we CAN

A big shout out to all fellow participants, supporters, family, friends and those that inspire !!

Keep moving forward

Edited by Curbie

I am sure when times are at their toughest, when the demons  :devil:  are at their worse we all ask : Why do we do this ? : It’s simple some 48hrs later – because of those around us that inspire and because we CAN

Exactly what i told the newbies in our group as well! Well put!

Sorry Guys, I was #253

Had a typically brilliant Ironman race weekend, the vibe in the towns on race weekend is incredible, so fantastic that so many non participants support the race as much as they do!

My race build up wasn't ideal, managed to burn a blister on my big toe walking along nahoon beach (office jockey tender feet) to get a sea swim in on the Friday and then developed a stiff neck and shoulders that afternoon, so spent a lot of time trying to roll that out before race day, my hopes of a sub 6 time dwindling slightly (last year was a 6:18:43).

That was all forgotten standing on the beach at the back of the 30 - 40 min starting pen, also speculating at the apparent abilities of some of the sub 30 athletes!  Swim went well, only hiccup was having to swim round a lifesavers paddle board assisting one of the "sub 30" swimmers. As my feet hit the sand I took a look at my watch and saw I was on 33 min, well ahead of plan! My calves and hammies had a couple seizures on the last stretch of the swim so I wasn't going to risk a run up beach to end up collapsing in agony in front of the masses of people on lined up on beach and I trundled carefully up to T1.

The bike leg is my strongest and I got away well, I was trying to hold back for the run and was spinning the legs up the long drags, still maintaining a decent pace, once I passed the nahoon dam climb I decided to get out the saddle on the climbs and it felt like I was carrying more speed over the crests so I powered on and made the turn at just over a 29km/h average speed.  There was a slight headwind on the way back, it must have increased as the day drew on as I didn't find it buffeting me too much until I passed Hemingways and noticed i wasn't hitting very high speeds on the descent.  Those last little hills are pure evil and I just dropped the gears and spun my way into town for a bike time of 2:47:50, well ahead of my plan and feeling good.

Headed out of T2 and as I was about to round the end of the pier I can hear them announcing Matt's arrival on the red carpet!!!!  I was running a good pace, keeping an eye on the heart rate and Bunkers the first time up was going well, walked the water point and then got going again and was soon back along the beach front, pace was dropping off steadily by now as I approached the red carpet, jealously watching the real athletes keeping right to high five Paul as they cruised the red carpet home, while I shuffled along on other side the fence.  I managed to round the pier once more before I started my run/walk phase. Bunkers the second time up was not fun anymore but I knew there was great support waiting at the top and that after the last turnaround it wasn't even a parkrun left to go.  Going past Buccaneers my legs started twitching again so I chewed on some cramp block to try and delay the seizures, it seemed to work and when I hit the 1km mark I summoned up what was left and managed to run till the end to cross the finish in 5:43:52, nearly 35 min faster than last year!

Suffice to say I was elated.

A massive thanks to all the supporters out there on route and also the fellow athletes and friends doing it with me and giving me the encouragement and advice along the way!

Edited by lurkerza

Great race with the weather on our side. 

Wetsuit strippers were a bargain.  Hope they feature at PE too? 

I took the cycling shoes off (to carry them) after handing the bike to the volunteer and was made to go back put them back on then proceed.  Didn't know that was a rule, or is it?

Great race with the weather on our side. 

Wetsuit strippers were a bargain.  Hope they feature at PE too? 

I took the cycling shoes off (to carry them) after handing the bike to the volunteer and was made to go back put them back on then proceed.  Didn't know that was a rule, or is it?

Suppose it could fall under any of the following rules:

• Athletes must not impede the progress of other athletes in the transition area;
  • Athletes cannot stop in the flow zones of the transition area;

Some events have event-specific rules e.g.

The athletes have to change of clothes only in the transition tent

Well done!! to everyone who participated in IM EL this weekend.

I was number 1184. I enjoyed the swim and bike but suffered severely on the last 10 km of the run with non stop cramping. I'm still very happy with a 5:45 :) but next time I think I need to pay more attention to my pace and nutrition.... overall, what an awesome race!

• 1 month later...
Regrettably, Skechers have informed us that there is a delay in the production of the rectified Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa individual finisher shirts.

The shirts will be sent to you as soon as they are delivered to the IRONMAN South Africa offices. On behalf of Skechers, we apologise for the inconvinience.

Kind Regards,

IRONMAN South Africa

Not surprised. They were supposed to have gone out already. No indication of when either, just a vague promise. 

Any idea where to check postal address for shipping before they are sent out? 

Not surprised. They were supposed to have gone out already. No indication of when either, just a vague promise. 

Any idea where to check postal address for shipping before they are sent out? 

Hahaha no surprises there!!

when you register for an IM event you will have filled in all your details.  http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/south-africa/register/update-your-info.aspx#axzz59X03GJCs

Process for editing registration details:

You will only be able to edit your registration details as follows:

- within the parameter deadlines stipulated 

- once your entry is marked as paid 

As you have registered for Durban, you should be able to log in to easyreg and check your details

Edited by shaper

I just hope they make it a nicer shirt

They already said at race briefing will be the same shirt without 'Team" written on it

I just hope they make it a nicer shirt

Haven't worn my "team" shirt - just to fugly.

For all I care they can keep this one or loose it in the post?