Tour de France 2018

gummibear

Their future GC plans are for a 2020 GT podiumTDF WIN? I hope the still WT in 2020. At this rate they won't be and will have to rely on wild card entries.

It's more of a mountain than that:

http://africasteam.com/2018/05/07/vision-2020-begins/

Our African Team has a vision, a vision that has us targeting the yellow jersey at the 2020 Tour de France with an African rider. The 2018 Giro d’Italia is the first key building block to that vision, as we tackle the Italian grand tour with Louis Meintjes as our GC leader.

Now what is the chances of DDD winning the 2020 TdF with an african rider?

Obviously the first thing they need to do is change the team from a sprint train to a GC team with climbers. Essentially buy a new team, not many okes with a Q on their back once the mountains arrive.

You can buy climbers and support, let's just assume they can buy their own skyborgs (because that is what you need).

Who is going to be your African winner.

*The only clear option is Maincheese. He is a long way from winning any big bike race currently, so there is no way they can put all their eggs in the basket.

*They've had nic dlamini in some of their promo stuff for Vision 2020, but he's not really an option for winning the biggest cycle race in 24 months time. I don't see who else would be a GC contender from south africa

*most of their "other" african riders have been dropped from the squad, they have just 4 left. Could they find some Ethiopian/Kenyan mountaingoat and turn him into a TdF winner in 24 months?

*speaking of Kenyan Mountain Goats...there is one other option who was born in Kenya, raced in South Africa and could definitely be considered African. I'm not sure how long his contract is with 21st century fox, but it would probably need the team to fold for him to consider a move. and it wouldn't really be seen as a developing an african winner of the tour either.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This!

DD desperately need some kind of win and Serge in dots would be awesome.

Gooo the Serge!

Does winning a jersey get points or only stage wins get points?

Does winning a jersey get points or only stage wins get points?

If memory serves they started giving points to green and polka dot jersey holders by stage and overall last year.

Any others with better intel?

spot the Tour de France 1-2 here

Barloworld_team-630x418.jpg

I don't think we should continue to remind people of the Barloworld days[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Damn! Is Nairo Quintana Maricio Soler's son?

Robbie Hunter hahahaha so young but so woes - even in team pics :-)

If memory serves they started giving points to green and polka dot jersey holders by stage and overall last year.

Any others with better intel?

It would make sense because in most cases the polka dot doesn't win many stages or finish in the top 5/10 of a GT(unless you Froome and win mountain stages which gives double points, yellow and polka dot) and the past winners have been fairly high profile riders so would assume they have a decent amount of points.

Weekend warriors? I think you've just done 20 or so riders a massive disservice.

Doping hysteria aside my feeling is that Sky run their riders closer to the limits than other teams. Almost every rider that joins Sky loses body fat and gets stronger. The naysayers will scream doping but I think they're medically better than other teams. More budget equals more doctors equals a more medical science approach to getting fit.

Agree

Sky prepares better than the other teams. The discipline in that team is just crazy. No one moves out of place. That is the only way to win these days. In one of Phil Gamion's prep videos for racing Cancellara, he is told to remember that you don't simply drop a pro on a climb. You have to plan and strategize.

Unfortunately this type of racing makes for very boring viewing, as the other riders are racing for minor placings.

Remove the 3 successful South African schooled guys and what ever happened to the rest? Is that JL Augustyn looking at the back of Froomes' head?

With Cummings, Hunter & Impey also there.

The riders from the team had some very good results since then.

Agree

Sky prepares better than the other teams. The discipline in that team is just crazy. No one moves out of place. That is the only way to win these days. In one of Phil Gamion's prep videos for racing Cancellara, he is told to remember that you don't simply drop a pro on a climb. You have to plan and strategize.

Unfortunately this type of racing makes for very boring viewing, as the other riders are racing for minor placings.

I’m waiting for someone to make a comparison to .......

Agree

Guys all the teams prepare more or less the same and are equally disciplined, this that they are miles ahead is hogwash, what they do have that others don't is a bigger budget and able to lure the best riders for the GT job to their team. IMO

Guys all the teams prepare more or less the same and are equally disciplined, this that they are miles ahead is hogwash, what they do have that others don't is a bigger budget and able to lure the best riders for the GT job to their team. IMO

Bigger budget also allows for a better bus and better accommodation/beds. SKY and their marginal gains. No doubt the more money you have the better you will do, it's just the way things work and it's not just in cycling.

Weekend warriors? I think you've just done 20 or so riders a massive disservice.

Doping hysteria aside my feeling is that Sky run their riders closer to the limits than other teams. Almost every rider that joins Sky loses body fat and gets stronger. The naysayers will scream doping but I think they're medically better than other teams. More budget equals more doctors equals a more medical science approach to getting fit.

To many similarities to the US Postal days of doping, the way that Froome and Thomas attacked yesterday is not normal"' remember Mr Landis's famous attack in 2006 . You cannot drop quality riders like that on a climb. You can buy a whole fleet of Dr's but there is only so much to the human ability-I remain sceptical and will not be clouded by the belief that they have better Dr's, budget, etc.  

Archived