Tour de France 2018

gummibear

I’ve said for years that the GT’s are to heavily weighted in favour of climbers, basically you can be the world champion road cyclist and have no chance of winning a GT..... just because you cannot climb like a mountain goat ????.....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they reduce the TTs and TummyD gets negatively affected, watch the tune change.

Cutting the Froome nose to spite the TummyD face will just expose some actual motivations later.

Nah... doubt that

GT was the best man at this years TDF..TT or not he showed that throughout the tour... when it was down to him vs the rest at the end of a difficult stage he came out tops

I just said if they want yo see more explosive GC battle.. (cause it seems that is what a lot of people are moaning about) cut the TT and then chuck in 10 mtn top finishes

Fine print.

But then don't moan about positive tests a few weeks later[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nah... doubt that

GT was the best man at this years TDF..TT or not he showed that throughout the tour... when it was down to him vs the rest at the end of a difficult stage he came out tops

I just said if they want yo see more explosive GC battle.. (cause it seems that is what a lot of people are moaning about) cut the TT and then chuck in 10 mtn top finishes

Fine print.

But then don't moan about positive tests a few weeks later[emoji6]

Nobody on the Hub seems to care or moan about positive tests, if they did, Valverde and Clenbutador wouldn’t be so revered. They seems to care more about who runs the the team than clear cut doping cases. Well thats this week at least.

I’ve said for years that the GT’s are to heavily weighted in favour of climbers, basically you can be the world champion road cyclist and have no chance of winning a GT..... just because you cannot climb like a mountain goat .....

If the world Champs course favoured climbers, than you would have the possibility of a world champ winning a GT. As it stands the past few years have seen sprinters courses in the world champs, hence the unlikelihood of a world champ winning a GT as it would be more than likely a sprinter.

The only way to really have a true world champ, where you have a 3 day competition, where one day is a TT day, the next is a sprint day and the last day is a mountain top finish. You take the best time of the 3 and you have a world champ. Bar them doing that, you will always have a winner in the discipline that the course suits.

Another argument could be a separate world champs for sprinting and climbing.

If the world Champs course favoured climbers, than you would have the possibility of a world champ winning a GT. As it stands the past few years have seen sprinters courses in the world champs, hence the unlikelihood of a world champ winning a GT as it would be more than likely a sprinter.

The only way to really have a true world champ, where you have a 3 day competition, where one day is a TT day, the next is a sprint day and the last day is a mountain top finish. You take the best time of the 3 and you have a world champ. Bar them doing that, you will always have a winner in the discipline that the course suits.

Another argument could be a separate world champs for sprinting and climbing.

WC is a one day race.. course changes often so that different types of risers have a shot at it.

Of the last 3 WC only one favoured the sprinters.. there in the desert

The year Costa won, it was a climbers course... when Kwaitoski won it also favoured the climbers.

And note this year it def more lumpy than the last 3 years..

Didn't Cuddles finish on the podium at a GT wearing the rainbow jersey?

WC is a one day race.. course changes often so that different types of risers have a shot at it.

Of the last 3 WC only one favoured the sprinters.. there in the desert

The year Costa won, it was a climbers course... when Kwaitoski won it also favoured the climbers.

And note this year it def more lumpy than the last 3 years..

Didn't Cuddles finish on the podium at a GT wearing the rainbow jersey?

I'm aware that it is a one day race, and that it changes often to accommodate the different types of riders. Was simply replying to the fact that the GTs shouldn't simply change to accommodate whatever the World Champ happens to be that year, or favour the sprinters more than they currently do.

Haven't GTs historically been more for the climbers and TT riders than the sprinters? Hence the sprint classification getting it's own recognition?

I always though a GT favoured someone who could do everything?

TT, climb, survive the cross winds and bunch riding and stay at the sharp end all the time?

A 'climber' will lose minutes on an ITT to a GC contender. (Usually).

Thomas is hardly a climber. He is just a really good bike rider who climbs well.

TommyD is also hardly a 'climber'....

The most frustrating aspect of Le tour 2018 was the inability of movistar, BMC and Sunweb to take the tactical fight to SKY. Lotto surprised and were the only team to animate the GC battle. Individual brilliance of Dumoullin kept the interloper interest rolling but it became apparent early on that Sunweb just didn't have the collective fire power to match SKY.

To have a more exciting tour other teams need to raise their game

Sunweb had a (marginally) better squad at the Giro once Kelderman was out of TdF. TomD is that tt sort of climber just like froome, so even though he didn't have backup he could just sit in the sky train all day long. The problem was he couldn't really blow it apart.

BUUT, take away his puncture on the Mur stage and he would have been much closer to the yellow (even if he did admit that GT would probably have just ridden away from him anyway).

BMC had no reason to take on Sky once richie was back in monaco.

AG2R actually had a really awesome team this year. Just not many of them made it to the mountains and I don't think Bardet had enough dynamite to light it up anyway.

Movistar. ja. WTF where Movistar doing? They are this big budget team with huge firepower and scattergun tactics. I hope they don't get too excited about winning the team comp, because they should be embarassed at how ineffective their TRIDENT was.

gotta giggle at @geraintthomas on Tweetiebird who now has thousands of followers 

And, no that handle does not belong to the maillot jaune  :P

is this the real him? I tell you what, when I win the tour I will update my twitter bio to reflect that at the latest a day after it happens.

Verified account

@GeraintThomas86 

Double Olympic Gold Medalist. Commonwealth Games Road Champ. 3x World Champ. Pro cyclist for Team Sky. All enquiries info@rocketsportsmanagement.com

geraintthomas.com

edit: cool!

is this the real him? I tell you what, when I win the tour I will update my twitter bio to reflect that at the latest a day after it happens.

Geraint ThomasVerified account

@GeraintThomas86

Double Olympic Gold Medalist. Commonwealth Games Road Champ. 3x World Champ. Pro cyclist for Team Sky. All enquiries info@rocketsportsmanagement.com

geraintthomas.com

edit: cool!

https://twitter.com/stayingaliveuk/status/1025415669913931776

Even Sky tweeted the wrong handle.. man it is funny this poor guy has been living with this mistaken identity since 2014 (i think)

Nobody on the Hub seems to care or moan about positive tests, if they did, Valverde and Clenbutador wouldn’t be so revered. They seems to care more about who runs the the team than clear cut doping cases. Well thats this week at least.

Hey now. Don't forget everyone's favourite cheat, Mister Pharmacy counter-top himself. He also seems to get a pass from the Hub.

Is it too early to start the TdF 2019 fred? 

Richie has already fired the first shots by suggesting that he and Dumoulin and a few others will have to gang up against Sky if they want to have any chance of beating them in 2019. To his credit he only had good things to say about Chris and also did not jump on that boring "big budget" excuse. . 

I see some guys in the comments agree with me re Porte being hyped up.

Stay on your bike and finish a few races as a leader before you start telling everyone how to win a Grand Tour.

Also does Porte even have a team for next year, haven't seen any Trek announcements and there is a max exodus happening at BMC

:ph34r: :whistling:

Has he even finished a GT as team leader yet?

Archived