The Beginner Budget Brain

popcorn_skollie

I too have spent an insane amount of money between mountain biking, road and triathlon for a decidedly average rider.

Mostly the step was big enough.

- Basic 26er to 26er with air fork and disc brakes - Completely worth it

- Above 26er HT to 26er dual suspension Anthem - Completely worth it

- Above 26er dual suspension to 100mm 29er dual suspension - Completely worth it

I have managed to avoid

- We don't understand 29er dual suspension geometry yet but a 29er HT is equal to 26er dual suspension and we will sell you the actual dual suspension in 2 years time scam

- Your 100mm travel bike that felt fine 2 years back is now a spitting Cobra that only Nino is qualified to ride nonsense. My trails are still the same and the bike still feels great.

- The temptation to go Carbon on a mountain bike. The Alu versions with Reba / XT mix have always been more than good enough for me and they all seem obsolete after 3 years anyway.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad I wasted my money on bikes and related stuff rather than drugs or alcohol or other general mischief ... Well maybe a bit of mischief would have been ok [emoji6]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I'm just glad I wasted my money on bikes and related stuff rather than drugs or alcohol or other general mischief ... Well maybe a bit of mischief would have been ok [emoji6]

Ja, I had to give up my coke habit.....

Dude you didn't ????

I did. Bought it for R1200 i think (it was the top bike at Makro..lol) and then after the pedal kept falling off i flogged it for R800. I rode it at rietvlei a couple times ????????

Guilty as charged! Slacker carbon frame, 650b wheels, 170mm upfront but man does she make me smile!

Post some pics. 

I've been in physio the last couple weeks with an ITB and was chatting to her about how we see our spending. She's a runner and I was saying how it's funny that I was complaining to buy running shoes at around R1200, but if I walk into the bike shop and they tell me it's R30k I'll be like, "Why is it so cheap, what's wrong with it?" :P

Post some pics.

Giant Reign, 170mm MRP stage on the business end, inferno hoops on dirty flea hubs, lyne dropper, odi grips for white knuckle descents, NX groupset with absolute black oval on the crank and DMR v12's coz flats are cool.... Whole lot of radness right there!

post-60543-0-57661900-1508492758_thumb.jpg

Having relocated and adjusting to first world economics I am looking at budget prices all the time. Wiggle's dhb in house brand as well as Evan's Cycles's FWE is brilliant and affordable. If I was back home I would really focus on locally made kit to cut costs. 

I have also calculated that it might be cheaper for me to buy a second hand old school steel bike as my winter steed rather than taking my carbon race machine through the northern winter. I really don't care if my winter road bike weighs plus 10kg. 

Things I will not skimp on is helmets, shoes, saddles and tyres. 

Giant Reign, 170mm MRP stage on the business end, inferno hoops on dirty flea hubs, lyne dropper, odi grips for white knuckle descents, NX groupset with absolute black oval on the crank and DMR v12's coz flats are cool.... Whole lot of radness right there!

Awesome! Welcome to the reign family

Sick!

Myles started touching himself when he saw your bike. 

Shot had it for a year now the pike is good but I'm loving the MRP stage

Is the stage that much better than the pike? What if you put the ramp control in the pike? Will it be on par?

On the derailleur front - I agree. A high end shifter is worth more than a derailleur I think. Teamed a Saint 10s with an XT medium cage and the shifting is sublime. 

Never a truer word spoken re 26"wheels either. Love my BMXy 160mm enduro bike. 

Archived