2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

Thanks everyone.  I had an MRI on Wednesday as the pain was just getting worse and it turns out I have a fractured pelvis that the Xray completely missed.  6 weeks of no weight bearing at least, as luckily the fractured is non-displaced, and the docs don't want to risk me messing it up by starting too early.

To say I am in a bit of dark place right now is an understatement.  Really struggling to get my head around this and not sure how to cope TBH  :(

Sorry to hear Shell Belle

Unfortunately cycling has a way to throw other types of life challenges to you as well, not just fitness ones..

Hope you heal up soon!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.  I had an MRI on Wednesday as the pain was just getting worse and it turns out I have a fractured pelvis that the Xray completely missed.  6 weeks of no weight bearing at least, as luckily the fractured is non-displaced, and the docs don't want to risk me messing it up by starting too early.

To say I am in a bit of dark place right now is an understatement.  Really struggling to get my head around this and not sure how to cope TBH  :(

Sorry to hear :-(

I would write the season off, go swim to keep active, have good holiday with family and before you know it you back in bike again...

A lady in my cycling club is a top rider - she's often makes the podium in local (Western Cape) mtb races. 2 Years ago she had a bad fall and broke her pelvis. She was off the bike for a few months but slowly got back into it, got fit again, and normal service has resumed. ie: she's a regular feature on the podium again and thrashing most of the men in the club.

True story that I hope makes you feel a bit more positive about your injury. 

The first year I rode the race I was not aware of Odendaal, so I was REALLY broken when they waved me to turn right up that hill

Honestly the hardest part of those 2 hills for me was the people walking 5 abreast and having to ride into the oncoming lane so I didn't have to stop & uncleat. Those guys should have a caffeine gel just as they hit the N7. They'll be turbocharged up those last 2 hills.

Entered yesterday for the 61km which I will ride with my fiance. Last year we started together but I wanted to go so I did.

Some dooooooos overtook her and immediately jumped on the brakes. She crashed into him and broke her arm so she's got a little unfinished business with this one. The crash happened about 10km into the race. She carried on with a bent wheel & busted arm till just before Zone 7 where she bailed. Not coz of her arm but coz of the bent wheel.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

:mellow: :( :(

oh no Shell

Are you allowed to swim at least ? I mean in this heat being in the pool with a G&T in hand may not be a bad thing

*trying to be positive*

Sorry to hear, but sounds like it should heal up without long term consequences.  Its deeply frustrating I know being laid up, but take the good advise already given and hang on in there.

Oef!! this is not ayoba at all. Heal up nicely and all the very best. Hoping you come back stronger and faster

Thanks everyone. I had an MRI on Wednesday as the pain was just getting worse and it turns out I have a fractured pelvis that the Xray completely missed. 6 weeks of no weight bearing at least, as luckily the fractured is non-displaced, and the docs don't want to risk me messing it up by starting too early.

To say I am in a bit of dark place right now is an understatement. Really struggling to get my head around this and not sure how to cope TBH :(

Shell Belle

So sorrie to hear

One day at a time

Aaah dang !! Sorry to hear :-(  You'll bounce back - pardon the pun - and be on your bike before you know it. 

Broke three of the four 'lobes' of my pelvis and a vertebra in a crash two years. Lay perfectly still for 2 weeks then started walking in a chest-deep pool then back on the bike in a very controlled environment bout 3 weeks after the crash. Was told I shouldn't have been able to walk for 8 weeks. No lasting injuries and that first ride back had a few smashing KOM's. Rest is good for you but the two weeks of total stillness were terrible. But it worked.

totally unrelated, but being a Extreme Hardcore AntiLitter crusader I reported the tjop who intentionally threw away his gel sachet whilst in the bunch.

His response - I'll come back and pick it up later. Then swore at me.

Race response - a week after reporting him and number - nada

I fracture pelvis, scaphoid, vertebra and pubis in Stellenbosch, although this wasn't a bike related accident. Took me about 4 weeks to get semi operational again and was back to full fitness with a few months. So while it is f#$%%# sore and irritating, there is decent hope if you follow the orders. sucks to be on your back at holiday time, though.

totally unrelated, but being a Extreme Hardcore AntiLitter crusader I reported the tjop who intentionally threw away his gel sachet whilst in the bunch.

His response - I'll come back and pick it up later. Then swore at me.

Race response - a week after reporting him and number - nada

I think I heard that. Guy's name was "Peter"?

Hi Shell Belle, 

How recovery going ? hope you better mind space already

Hi Shell Belle, 

How recovery going ? hope you better mind space already

Hi guys

Sorry I have been a bit absent!!! Needed a break from all things bike while I got my head straight!

It is 3 weeks down and I have been on the trainer 3 times - 20 mins and two 40 minute sessions. Getting better and easier each time.  I am "walking" with only one crutch now, but still can't load that leg properly yet.  Probably another 3 weeks before I will be able to walk without the crutch.  Looks like  I will be back on the bike before I will be walking properly haha.

Feeling much better about life in general, but still need to work on accepting that life and sh*t happens  :ph34r:

Thanks for all the messages.  You guys are legends  :thumbup: