Are Raleigh bicycles from Makro still a bad idea

ravz86

takes a little co-ordination to get the gearing right.

Gear 1: Sitting and peddaling

Gear 2: Standing and peddaling

Gear 3: Walking

Think that's where I go wrong. Mine normally goes Gear 1, when approaching a technical climb I hit 2nd with much enthusiasm, then at some point the turbo goes and I attempt 1st again to keep the speed up, and then there is the half arsed attempt at a pretty transition from 2nd to 3rd. With some big words normally applied to gain extra RPM between 2nd back to 1st!!

*Fixing a brain fart

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the upper end Ralleighs still selling in SA?

Not that I am aware of.

you get 3 basic types of Raleighs.

*The hyperama special/makro bikes

*the probike version of racing bikes (cicrca 2000- 2009)

*the international Raleigh (circa 2010 to present)

The first one has always been useless, sell bucketloads but are cheap and nasty. I've done an Argus on a brand new one for charity - the crank only made it to Smits. I really don't know why Probike didn't do something about it then, they won a cr@pload of races on and offroad with their pro team on raleighs but the image was always soured by the supermarket junk. The brand has an impressive heritage, even won Le Tour.

my fave was always the local Mtrax - it was made out of box shaped tubing!

http://img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/112/2168112/2168112_131108123043_8Nov2013_066.jpg

it comes from a awesome 90's heritage of steel/titanium frames

http://cyclingfortransport.com/wp-content/uploads/MTRAX-profile_crop.jpg

and then Raleigh international relaunched in the late noughties with a carbon stays version

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-raleigh-m-trax-ht-2-0-09-32501/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/1254837169294-1qlig0mw93kn6-630-80.jpg

I was in my local Makro the other day to spend some of my Christmas bonus on some bigscreen TVs.

While at the security check at the door before I left the store, people were wheeling Makro bikes past me out the door. Forks fitted backwards, seatposts with the clamp piece facing forward. Quick releases where they were just wound tight like a screw, not locked with the lever. Scary sh|t.

Given the price you pay for those bikes, and taking it to a shop to have it RE-assembled correctly, you probably could have just bought something better from a shop in the first place.

'seatposts with the clamp piece facing forward' ... Just wondering, I read that one must align the gap in the clamp with the gap in the frame seat tube. Now if I do that then the clamp 'piece' faces forward ... Is it a serious issue then?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Family member bought a Rally from Macro when we went on holiday. The Medium thing weighed in at a beastly 19kg. Struggled my ass off to get the caliper brakes to work properly, and had no tools to loosen the bloody nuts still holding the wheels. The things now's just getting in everyone's way in the garage.

'seatposts with the clamp piece facing forward' ... Just wondering, I read that one must align the gap in the clamp with the gap in the frame seat tube. Now if I do that then the clamp 'piece' faces forward ... Is it a serious issue then?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Wot.

Wot.

Ok I think I misunderstood you completely ... I'm thinking the clamp holding the seatpost in the frame.

Sorry man!

Family member bought a Rally from Macro when we went on holiday. The Medium thing weighed in at a beastly 19kg. Struggled my ass off to get the caliper brakes to work properly, and had no tools to loosen the bloody nuts still holding the wheels. The things now's just getting in everyone's way in the garage.

aounds like my brother in law....except the bloody thing is hanging in my garage....

aounds like my brother in law....except the bloody thing is hanging in my garage....

I would take him down, he will likely start smelling soon?

Snobs.

Nothing wrong with a supermarket bike.

I bought this one a while ago, had a crash and fixed her right up with duct tape.

Crackendale

Snobs.

Nothing wrong with a supermarket bike.

I bought this one a while ago, had a crash and fixed her right up with duct tape.

Crackendale

At least with the Cannondale boys they certainly honour their warranty claims

Archived