[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo 2018

Events Bot

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CX bike perfect, or Fatbike perfect?

As I rode some sinkplaat this morning I was pondering a related question albeit that I have picked my weapon. RLT steel.

My indecision is about tyres. Run my Clement MSO 40s which are quite brilliant or lighter, more race oriented 36mm Challenge tyres.

I know which will be more reliable and comfortable but I figured to do two time trials from Hekpoort to the top of Breeds and back to see which is in fact faster.

As I rode some sinkplaat this morning I was pondering a related question albeit that I have picked my weapon. RLT steel.

My indecision is about tyres. Run my Clement MSO 40s which are quite brilliant or lighter, more race oriented 36mm Challenge tyres.

I know which will be more reliable and comfortable but I figured to do two time trials from Hekpoort to the top of Breeds and back to see which is in fact faster.

When you do those TTs let me know, I’ll like to take the GFondo up there for similar reasons

I’m more concerned with size of cassette rather than size of tyres

Good point that :D

in 2016 i did it on 33c's, those Specialized Tires on a aliminium gravel bike.

in 2016 i did it on 33c's, those Specialized Tires on a aliminium gravel bike.

And ???

What pressure were you running and do you think you would you have gone faster on wider tyres at lower pressures? Were you running tubeless?

I’m more concerned with size of cassette rather than size of tyres

I think that this is where 1x will get caught out.

I know that I need everything my granny has got to get up the pass but also that I went through Meiringspoort cruising at 45kph in my big ring.(tailwind assisted).

I will be running a 50-34 compact road crank and a 11-42 cassette. I hope it will be enough up the hill. I am practicing my walking solong

And ???

What pressure were you running and do you think you would you have gone faster on wider tyres at lower pressures? Were you running tubeless?

was running them tubeless. Faster? I dont think so. I ran them as hard as I could, I think it was 3 bar. Grip was never an issue.

I know that I need everything my granny has got to get up the pass but also that I went through Meiringspoort cruising at 45kph in my big ring.(tailwind assisted).

I will be running a 50-34 compact road crank and a 11-42 cassette. I hope it will be enough up the hill. I am practicing my walking solong

I ran 1x10 setup, 36t chainring with 11- 42 on the rear.

I ran 1x10 setup, 36t chainring with 11- 42 on the rear.

And?

I suppose if you are not pushing 100kg like some of us, 36x42 is enough for the pass.

Is 36x11 enough for the flats?

Your granny will kick your gluteus.... every day of the week....