Fine for using Thule scissor bike rack

gvmalt

A warning for those going through the George area. I received a fine for using the standard tow bar mounted scissors type bike rack with a single mountain bike. It supposedly blocked the number plate. I have never seen a second number plate used with these racks. Anyone know the legality or otherwise of using these racks without a second number plate. It was at a routine road block on the N2.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A warning for those going through the George area. I received a fine for using the standard tow bar mounted scissors type bike rack with a single mountain bike. It supposedly blocked the number plate. I have never seen a second number plate used with these racks. Anyone know the legality or otherwise of using these racks without a second number plate. It was at a routine road block on the N2.

Very strange, I always wondered about it. I have exactly te same bike rack and we drove through 3 road blocks in December 2015 when we drove down to George and back with not even a raised eyebrow from the officers. Been riding with it since 2013 and have never had an issue.

But I do see the technicality why one would be fined,just fascinated that I have never had an issue but you got a fine. Might be an indication of how well things are going in terms of the policing in the Southern Cape, they need to start nailing people on nitty-gritty offenses to stay relevant.

Out of interest, what amount is the fine?

The fine was only R500 - more the nuisance. But it is one of those linked to a summons and court date. Still need to figure out how to pay it - apparently can phone them and get an EFT account. They had no problem me driving on with the bike after issuing the fine. Was a cop with hidden camera 2 km further down the road which might explain why they want clear number plates - not that I was speeding.

Law states number plate and lights may not be obscured in any way.

Friend of mine has a board with plate and a set of lights on that he puts on after fitting the bikes  to rack and plugs in to trailer plug.

You're not the first to be fined. You're lucky it's only R500

It's just the law. It's amazing how ignorant we can be of road laws.

Remember the one year at the Amashova i think it was the cops were having a field day on issuing fines on the N3 for all the cyclists on the way to the event.

Not arguing the legality of the fine, just stating that I have been driving with mine allot with zero issues, so assumed it is one of those laws that are not really enforced, like stopping dead at a 4 way stop.

Might be worth it to spend a couple of bucks to construct myself one of those boards with lights attached just to be on the safe side.

Not arguing the legality of the fine, just stating that I have been driving with mine allot with zero issues, so assumed it is one of those laws that are not really enforced, like stopping dead at a 4 way stop.

Might be worth it to spend a couple of bucks to construct myself one of those boards with lights attached just to be on the safe side.

Basically in SA there are two things you don't do as a motorist.  Don't drive too fast and don't park where you are not allowed to.  The rest is pretty free for all.  Only challange is once in a while n sharp cop comes around and reminds you of other laws and then people are almost schocked.

They always stand at the K2C as well. The cop told me after checking my license that he hopes my plates aren't obstructed.

I still have the same rack but i have an extra plate with a tope that i just hang over the bikes so its visible. I asked about the lights and they said its fine as the lights can be seen through the bikes wheels.

But i have upgraded to a platform rack with its own lights and numberplate.

Paid R300 in the same area.  

I now have a plate with the plastic backing plate glued with rubber on four elastics and a hook which pulls the plate tight against the protruding arms.  Does not touch the bike and takes 2mins to install.

They were apparently fining tons of people before the Knysna MTB race this year with those types of racks. Its probably the same cops grabbing the soft targets rather than dealing with taxis who dont pay the fine.

ah the standard 'what about the taxis' argument.

Was stopped by a cop on the way to Argus from JHB, and the cop went to the bike rack and his face dropped when he saw the reg plate holder. He even said I was lucky cos he would have fined me otherwise. Lucky? I'd only just managed to hide my beer! (Apols for the poor sense of humour....it's Friday and all).

Whenever I see these bike racks for sale, I wonder why they even exist because they create this illegal scenario unless people know about that inconsistently applied law and have a 2nd number plate.

Thule makes a plate and light board, but they are seldom displayed alongside the racks

976000_oc_1_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg