Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

You better take good care of Mrs. Flufflebutt! 

Always. 

She's taken to hiding under my bed. Lightie isn't exactly quiet, and after living with a bunch of oldies the new sounds and smells are a bit overwhelming. Was expected, and I was really surprised how easily she settled in with just me. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always. 

She's taken to hiding under my bed. Lightie isn't exactly quiet, and after living with a bunch of oldies the new sounds and smells are a bit overwhelming. Was expected, and I was really surprised how easily she settled in with just me. 

It'll always take a bit of time for them to adjust. As long as Mayhem Jnr. doesn't roughhouse her, she'll come around. 

You could also sing to her: "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fuuuur"

It'll always take a bit of time for them to adjust. As long as Mayhem Jnr. doesn't roughhouse her, she'll come around. 

You could also sing to her: "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fuuuur"

I'll leave that to Sheldon and Penny. 

:P

And no, he doesn't. Definitely not. 

09fc4b70ff63937d4a0cae4cf948f030.jpg

Passed my goal weight, have not actually been dieting etc. just planned meals and no more chocolate.

Have been riding to work every day though.

Edited by Pure Savage

On Friday, just before getting in the car to go to George to pick up this beauty (her pawrents were gonna put her down instead of taking her with to Malawi - no attempt at looking for an alternative home until their daughter stepped in and sent me the info  :cursing: ) I hopped on the scale and saw 101.8kg. 

I'm content with that, for the moment. Wanna get below 101 by Friday. Today saw 28km and 1,200m climbing on the big bike, as part of a bro-duro. Had a burger and a castle lite as the post-ride intake. Damn, they were good. First beer in 4 weeks and first burger in even longer. 

Back on the IF & protein only tomorrow. 

attachicon.gif1784f52f-68fd-4f20-afbd-692e08ccd953.jpg

attachicon.gif94c6024c-43be-46bd-856c-bc4dc9a23823.jpg

you've done a wonderful thing.

My son put a article written by a Dr / Dietician .( cant find link ) I essence it was about natural foods / fruit sugar content . I have been on my own mission /diet for 14 months and have hit that plateau as i said before . I eat 3 fruits a day , tea time , lunch time and tea time again . Normally apples and oranges . On our 2 long weekly rides i use dates as food . The article suggested only one fruit daily which i have done . The 12  dates i eat on rides contain the highest amount of sugar so i cut that down to only 6 . In less than a week i have lost 1.8 kg .Im feeling strong and even went out today on the road a rode up Fishers Hill . Short but at least a 5% gradient of which we don't have to many on the East Rand . I might even re set my goal weight .

post-111826-0-25987800-1537380831_thumb.jpg

My son put a article written by a Dr / Dietician .( cant find link ) I essence it was about natural foods / fruit sugar content . I have been on my own mission /diet for 14 months and have hit that plateau as i said before . I eat 3 fruits a day , tea time , lunch time and tea time again . Normally apples and oranges . On our 2 long weekly rides i use dates as food . The article suggested only one fruit daily which i have done . The 12  dates i eat on rides contain the highest amount of sugar so i cut that down to only 6 . In less than a week i have lost 1.8 kg .Im feeling strong and even went out today on the road a rode up Fishers Hill . Short but at least a 5% gradient of which we don't have to many on the East Rand . I might even re set my goal weight .

You're at the same weight as me now, I'm going to have to up my game :ph34r:

Time for me to join this fred as well.

Not overweight (I think), but as cyclists are, we always feel we can be that little bit lighter to help with that power to weight ratio.

I'm 1.89m @ 81kg at the moment. I know BMI is frowned upon for various reasons such as body shape, etc, but I am at 23.62 kg/m2. Normal is between 18.5 and 25.

For the last, almost 2 months, I've been avoiding sweets and snacking (had maybe 2 unfortunate pigouts during that time), also going with a high fat (double cream yoghurt, nuts) and high protein diet. I'm almost completely off breads, rice, etc.

I also fast for 1 day of the week.

When I put my mind to something, and decide on something, I get almost obsessive about it. 

During this almost 2 months I've also been getting up at 4:30 to bang out a 30 minute indoor bike session, and then 25-30 more of free weights, situps, legs raises, planking, kettlebell swings, weighted squats etc. My stomach has visibly become smaller, not that it was ever very big. I can almost swear my legs have visibly popped as well.

3 weeks ago I did a 140km marathon and finished 3rd behind two guys who have both been on the Trans Baviaans podium (one was on the podium this year), the other guy was on the podium 2 years ago. So I kinda think what I'm doing is working.

I don't count calories but try to keep it within reason.

Most mornings my breakfast consists of 500g of double cream bulgarian/plain/unsweetened yoghurt mixed with 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder (makes a nice "paste") with about 40g of mixed raw nuts as well. During the day I try to eat just "clean" proteins, like biltong and some fruit. No breads if I can help it.

When I started this thing I was about 83 (I was 72kg years ago for Ironman), and am sitting on 81kg today, as I've been for 2-3 weeks now. I'm wondering if the plato I'm stuck at is maybe me gaining muscle mass offsetting the fat loss?

I'm also not sure if my double cream yoghurt is screwing me or not... I'm going double cream to be in line with the "high fat / high protein" concept, to make your body fat adapted and keep you fuller for longer. Maybe I should move back to "lite" yoghurt? Anyone?

Edited by TheJ

I think what you doing is clearly working! Lite yogurt is just rubbish, I could never go back!

I find if I kick into a daily 16:8 fast after a weight plateau for about a week I start to lose again! 

Eat supper at about 19:00 don't eat until lunch time the next day!

Seems to work for me.

Either a mistake in your BMI calc or your typing. BMI = 22.68

I'm 1.89m @ 81kg at the moment. I know BMI is frowned upon for various reasons such as body shape, etc, but I am at 23.62 kg/m2. Normal is between 18.5 and 25.

Edited by NickGM

I think what you doing is clearly working! Lite yogurt is just rubbish, I could never go back!

I find if I kick into a daily 16:8 fast after a weight plateau for about a week I start to lose again! 

Eat supper at about 19:00 don't eat until lunch time the next day!

Seems to work for me.

Thanks mate! I know Lite yoghurt is usually sweetened to make it not taste like wet paper. I think Parmalat's Fabulite is completely sugarfree though.

The fasting I do is a full 24 hours. Breakfast on Wednesday, and then next meal is breakfast on Thursday. After my 1st fast I was down to 79.5kg. A week later after the 2nd one it was 79.3kg. I didn't get time to weight myself this morning so can't say what it is right now. But after fooding up again it goes to over 80kg.

I think what screwed my weight was that me and the wife would each have a chai tea latte most nights as we relax by the TV. Its obviously flippin nice but is nothing more than a cup of sugar. I think out of 100g of the powder, 81g is sugars. I've stopped that completely.

My wife made my life blerrie tough last night though. I was fasting, and she was prepping supper. The chicken was "off" so I had to take it back to the shop, not that I was going to eat anyway. So what does she do... orders pizza. And I can't have. And I didn't.

I did pack in 7 slices for food at work today though, haha. First pizza in weeks.

Either a mistake in your BMI calc or your typing. BMI = 22.68

It differs depending which website you use. I used this one.

https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

Age 38

Male

6 Foot 1

179 pounds

23.62 kg/m2

On Pick 'n Pay's one I'm 22.7. Maybe I'm converting my height wrong. 189cm seems to be 6 foot 2, not 6 foot 1. And that should make the 23.62 above, 22.9.

http://www.picknpay.co.za/bmi-calculator

It differs depending which website you use. I used this one.

https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

Age 38

Male

6 Foot 1

179 pounds

23.62 kg/m2

On Pick 'n Pay's one I'm 22.7. Maybe I'm converting my height wrong. 189cm seems to be 6 foot 2, not 6 foot 1. And that should make the 23.62 above, 22.9.

http://www.picknpay.co.za/bmi-calculator

Just use weight (kg) divided by height squared ( in cm) to get BMI Edited by Twaatie

500g of yoghurt sounds like quite a lot. I like yoghurt and could easily eat that much, but it might be too much? Also, if it's whey protein you are adding it has an insulin response, from what I've read it's as good as adding sugar.

https://pescience.com/blogs/blog/lesson-9-avoid-massive-insulin-spikes-from-your-whey

It is whey, yes. Do you recommend going to slow release casein protein? Edit 1: Just read the article... CASEIN from now on.

Edit 2:

...and just yesterday I ordered a massive 3.2kg tub of whey protein on Takealot. Eish.

I must say I'm feeling "strong" though... My immune system is also tip top right now. 

Edited by TheJ