Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

I NEED to loose the weight. Started off in August 2017 on 145kgs, wearing a size 46 pants. I am 1.82 and 42 years old. Did some dieting, and exercise and dropped 20kgs till now.

The more positive thing is I bought my 1st road bike middle November, started off on a 2km ride with my youngest almost died, I am proud to say that I completed my 1st 20km solo ride the other day, aiming to do a 40 race end of Jan 2018. The worst is getting this heavy chassis of mine used to that excuse of a saddle, it hurts..... Watched a Spinning class on YouTube yesterday, tried it, failed horribly, could not stand and peddle legs too weak, and I thought I have been training hard on the road bike...so back to the drawing board.

Glad to see that there are guys with the same issues as me, and I appreciate all the info on this site. Thanks.

Well done . Stay in the saddle and add in a a few km to your training every month until you feell comfortable doing it at max pace , try beating your best time on the same course or distance at least once a week . The saddle becomes part of your anatomy as you lose weight HAHA . My advice is dont attempt a organised race until you hit the 99kg mark . As long as you training regularly with riders fitter than you and staying with them on longer rides and hills you are improving . Spinning can be done on the bike on the road . Stay on the inside chain ring ( small ) and dont change below the 6th or 7th sprocket on the rear and spin your legs on one or two of your training rides weekly . It hurts at first but knocks the weight off your legs quickly . 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a short story to share and a possible but proven solution, notwithstanding the fact that there is no bulletproof solution that works for everyone.

I stopped smoking and started cycling in 1999.

As soon as I stopped smoking my weight shot from 95kg to 105kg. I believed that you have to eat carbs to cycle and that you can cycle (excercise away any excess weight).

Boy how wrong I was.

At my maximum last year I was up at 125kg and still rode but less successfully due to age and weight gain.

Enter a smartphone app called MY FATSECRET and the realization that I need to reduce carbs and also calorific intake. (make sure you burn more cal than you ingest).

Since August 2017 I have made steady progress and am down from 120kg to 104. something before Christmas.

All it entails is investing some time and entering via the app what you eat at each meal and it calculates calories in as well as excercised.

The app is a simple tool that allows one to adhere to the old management adage that "if you can't measure it, you can't manage it!".

I am allowed 3000 cal per day and when I'm really "good" I get by on just 1200 but I make sure I eat the full 3000 before a long ride. Most days 1700 cal is easily enough. Getting to understand the app takes some time and patience but it is really rewarding.

My brother has lost around 15kg since August.

The result? This year I beat my 2016 947 time by 27 minutes and unlike 2016 where I suffered on Steyn City hill, this year I felt like they removed the last 3rd and could even use my big front chainring and "Jan Ulrich" over the crest into the finish line.

It takes dedication and commitment but the sometimes hunger is your body telling you you are getting faster...

Try it....

I have a short story to share and a possible but proven solution, notwithstanding the fact that there is no bulletproof solution that works for everyone.

I stopped smoking and started cycling in 1999.

As soon as I stopped smoking my weight shot from 95kg to 105kg. I believed that you have to eat carbs to cycle and that you can cycle (excercise away any excess weight).

Boy how wrong I was.

At my maximum last year I was up at 125kg and still rode but less successfully due to age and weight gain.

Enter a smartphone app called MY FATSECRET and the realization that I need to reduce carbs and also calorific intake. (make sure you burn more cal than you ingest).

Since August 2017 I have made steady progress and am down from 120kg to 104. something before Christmas.

All it entails is investing some time and entering via the app what you eat at each meal and it calculates calories in as well as excercised.

The app is a simple tool that allows one to adhere to the old management adage that "if you can't measure it, you can't manage it!".

I am allowed 3000 cal per day and when I'm really "good" I get by on just 1200 but I make sure I eat the full 3000 before a long ride. Most days 1700 cal is easily enough. Getting to understand the app takes some time and patience but it is really rewarding.

My brother has lost around 15kg since August.

The result? This year I beat my 2016 947 time by 27 minutes and unlike 2016 where I suffered on Steyn City hill, this year I felt like they removed the last 3rd and could even use my big front chainring and "Jan Ulrich" over the crest into the finish line.

It takes dedication and commitment but the sometimes hunger is your body telling you you are getting faster...

Try it....

Well done, that is some awesome progress! Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the app.

Hi everyone, I started a weight loss/lifestyle change journey about 6 months ago and I am currently in the best shape of my life. First time in my life that I decided to go to a gym and get my **** together. I would highly recommend getting into a functional training type of gym where there are classes with trainers available to help. Going to a standard kind of gym can be very intimidating when you don’t know what you are doing. Joined a gym in Cape Town called Huba and generally go about 5/6 times a week, training consists of hour long classes which range from strength to high intensity cardio training.

All in all I am loving it, it must be said though that the training is the fun part, changing your eating is definitely the tougher challenge but I can promise that the more you get into it the easier it becomes. Plan your meals, cut the sugar and junk food and train hard. When you start to see results you get more motivated.

Good luck guys!!

Edited by alexwc46

Well done, that is some awesome progress! Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the app.

Cool.

And we all have a time of weakness. If you splash out on something you shouldnt have eaten, you just get right on back on the wagon and carry on. 

So its time to start the Challenge again

I have Stolen the Spreadsheet from Myles and Added a few things

Please when entering your details Add your current Hub Name, Height, Goal Weight and Current Weight

Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

Welcome and Good Luck,

Remember this is for guidance motivation,and encouragement.

and the winner gets bragging rights..

Count me in as well. Started off 2017 nicely but didn't maintain diet. although I cycled more than previous years, My weight has not picked up much but I still have the belly. Currently about 1.8m and weigh 83. aiming around 75kg. This year might be the one for me since the wife is also keen to shed some pounds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I NEED to loose the weight. Started off in August 2017 on 145kgs, wearing a size 46 pants. I am 1.82 and 42 years old. Did some dieting, and exercise and dropped 20kgs till now.

The more positive thing is I bought my 1st road bike middle November, started off on a 2km ride with my youngest almost died, I am proud to say that I completed my 1st 20km solo ride the other day, aiming to do a 40 race end of Jan 2018. The worst is getting this heavy chassis of mine used to that excuse of a saddle, it hurts..... Watched a Spinning class on YouTube yesterday, tried it, failed horribly, could not stand and peddle legs too weak, and I thought I have been training hard on the road bike...so back to the drawing board.

Glad to see that there are guys with the same issues as me, and I appreciate all the info on this site. Thanks.

I am almost exactly where you are man - just on the worse side. Not lekka. LETS DO THIS.

Count me in as well. Started off 2017 nicely but didn't maintain diet. although I cycled more than previous years, My weight has not picked up much but I still have the belly. Currently about 1.8m and weigh 83. aiming around 75kg. This year might be the one for me since the wife is also keen to shed some pounds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Veez999, I entered you on the Spreadsheet.

You can add your own data on it at link

Can we not put age colum in aswell? Can someone please add my data. Height 1.85, goal weight 98kg , start weight 107.7kg. Thanks all.

Would like to join too.

Started cycling 6.5 years ago. Wife wanted to do the 947 and needed a training partner. I was on the verge of self destruction and volunteered to be her training partner. At that stage I weighed in at 140+kg, smoked, etc. etc.
I have completed my 6th 947. First one this year on a tandem (with the wife). She has been amazing and stood by me through it all.
I'm now in the region of 106+kg having gained a bit over the last while. I have a truckload of excuses, but the crux is that I've slacked off and let myself go.

This year I want to focus on getting completing the "lifestyle" bit. I'm not a great cyclist, but I do really enjoy it very much. Fitness is not the best, but that can be worked on too. What I really want from myself this year is to align my actual energy needs with my intake. I believe it is possible, and just requires focus.

So, looking forward to your posts, your success and "marginal losses". Will try and motivate where possible and post an update here and there on my own progress.

Weight - 106.5

Height - 178cm

Age - 44