Mugging Marks Park

Patchelicious

Saw this on one of the cycling WhatsApp groups... anybody have more details.

“Mugging this morning in Emmerentia. Along fence against Mark's park sports fields. Avout 06.40am. Cyclist stabbed, but ok. Runner/ walker also. Taken cell phone. Left bike.

Please be careful”

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown: I hope they are ok !

I use that section often..............easy target along that top fence section, nowhere to go.

Fu**en cowards

Edited by coppi

:thumbdown: I hope they are ok !

I use that section often..............easy target along that top fence section, nowhere to go.

Fu**en cowards

Me too.

Hope they do not get comfortable there again. Big issue towards latter part of last year.

Apparently one waits behind a tree at the top and his accomplice at the bottom. I think there is a hole in that fence somewhere along Judith Rd or Marks Park side. 

Hi guys,

I was there. Here's some info:

There were two guys walking along the path (next to the marks park fence) in the same direction as the cyclists. Not paying any attention to the cyclists so they didn’t seem threatening. This was clever because they forced the cyclists to slow right down - there’s nowhere to pass pedestrians on that path - so the cyclists were doing walking pace as they pulled up behind the muggers. The guys then stepped to the side of the path to let the cyclists go past but as soon as they went by, they were grabbed from behind. With no momentum they were easily brought down. The first cyclist fell left, rolling down the hill a bit. The attacker left his bike and went after him, lunging to try and stab him. Fortunately the cyclist fought back long enough for a runner, coming in the opposite direction, to get involved. He ended up getting the most serious cut - fortunately only on his shin, so he’ll be ok. The attacker lost the advantage and fled. The cyclist suffered minor cuts. The second cyclist was not with the first, but was too close to be able to stop and turn around. The second attacker lunged for him. The cyclist dropped his bike and immediately offered his cellphone. The attacker took it and also fled.

In the few seconds it took to comprehend what was going on the attackers ran down the hill and straight towards the storm water drain that channels the spruit into the Botanic Gardens. I’m pretty certain that’s how they entered and exited. We gave chase but they were gone by the same we got back down.

There was no park security anywhere to be found, not even in the parking lot.

I've already written to the local DA councilor and asked him to take it up with SAPS and City Parks. We really need to find a permanent solution to this.

Jeez it doesn't even sound like they wanted the bikes, just wanted to injure/kill someone. Glad the riders and runner are still alive. Quick thinking to offer up his phone by the second rider. The basturds probably realised they could get away easier with just a phone and not so easily with a bike.

Jeez it doesn't even sound like they wanted the bikes, just wanted to injure/kill someone. Glad the riders and runner are still alive. Quick thinking to offer up his phone by the second rider. The basturds probably realised they could get away easier with just a phone and not so easily with a bike.

I think that's exactly right, especially if they do actually use the drain pipe.

You’re going to love this!

Feedback from the chap that got mugged today. Seems they put up quite a fight.

I was the cyclist in the attack. A runner friend Anthony came to my saving - brave man! I'm okay with a few stitches and bruises. Anthony is stitched up and in good spirit. He endured 2 pretty nasty stabs on limbs. Neither of us had phones - and because the bike was a fat tire ;) and the fight attracted to much attention, they eventually fled the scene with nothing. One attacker will be missing his thumb though - it ended up in my mouth :) We love the park and Spruit so much - it will not affect my passion for the green belt. Please be careful on sections where you can be ambushed. That top contour along the sportsfield is one of those sections. Thanks Anthony!!! Hope your dogs aren't too traumatised. Thanks Graham Montieth and staff at Milpark for stitching us up! Thanks to the friendly people at car park at garden for cleaning our wounds! Thanks to the cyclists who arrived at the scene and assisted us and updated the page. Love you all!

You’re going to love this!

Feedback from the chap that got mugged today. Seems they put up quite a fight.

I was the cyclist in the attack. A runner friend Anthony came to my saving - brave man! I'm okay with a few stitches and bruises. Anthony is stitched up and in good spirit. He endured 2 pretty nasty stabs on limbs. Neither of us had phones - and because the bike was a fat tire ;) and the fight attracted to much attention, they eventually fled the scene with nothing. One attacker will be missing his thumb though - it ended up in my mouth :) We love the park and Spruit so much - it will not affect my passion for the green belt. Please be careful on sections where you can be ambushed. That top contour along the sportsfield is one of those sections. Thanks Anthony!!! Hope your dogs aren't too traumatised. Thanks Graham Montieth and staff at Milpark for stitching us up! Thanks to the friendly people at car park at garden for cleaning our wounds! Thanks to the cyclists who arrived at the scene and assisted us and updated the page. Love you all!

Well at least there is some consequence.

Good thing, it will be difficult for him to pull another cyclist off their bike without a thumb.

Well at least there is some consequence.

Good thing, it will be difficult for him to pull another cyclist off their bike without a thumb.

Yes. And quite easy for the Plod to identify.