Who is Lappartient?

SwissVan

Rant on

post-182-0-48757200-1516653072_thumb.png

post-182-0-80151800-1516653232_thumb.png

Or rather who does Lappartient think he is?

​I would much rather go listen / see Mr LA at Tour of Flanders than Monsieur Lappartient

​Yes....i know LA is the antichrist of pro cycling and deservedly so

But really M Lappartient i think you over rate your popularity / importance

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lappartient-will-not-attend-tour-of-flanders-in-protest-of-lance-armstrong-invitation/

UCI president David Lappartient has said that he will not attend the 2018 Tour of Flanders following the organisation's decision to extend an invitation to Lance Armstrong to participate in a conference linked to the race.....

Lappartient previously wrote to Flanders Classics asking them to rescind their invitation to Armstrong, who is scheduled to appear at the ‘Tour of Flanders Business Academy’ event on the Friday preceding the Ronde.

Armstrong will then be a guest of Tour of Flanders organiser Wouter Vandenhaut at the race on Sunday, although due to his life ban for doping, he will not travel in the race caravan and will instead watch at various points from the roadside.

"I can't confiscate the American’s passport and prevent him from coming to Belgium," Lappartient told Het Nieuwsblad. "I understand that he could be invited as a conference speaker, and he will obviously attract a lot of attention, but this is not the image that we want to send out from cycling. We want to promote a clean sport, and Armstrong is not the symbol of that."

Armstrong was handed a life ban for doping and stripped of his seven Tour de France victories in 2012 by the US Anti-Doping Agency after an investigation instigated by US federal agent Jeff Novitzky. The terms of Armstrong’s life ban prohibit him from taking part in or attending UCI-sanctioned events. Last year, the organisers of the Colorado Classic withdrew from an informal partnership with Armstrong’s new podcast venture.

"He's not authorised to be in a race car since he is suspended for life," Lappartient said. “I'm not happy with this situation and have made it known to Wouter Vandenhaute. I will not attend the Ronde. I'll go to one race or another in Belgium at the start of the season, but I don't know which one yet."

Since announcing the news in mid-December, Vandenhaut has repeatedly defended his decision to invite Armstrong to the Tour of Flanders, and insisted last week that the American will be in Flanders on the first weekend in April.

"Lance said that he didn't want to be a burden and allowed me to make other arrangements," Vandenhaut told Het Nieuwsblad. "I did not want to go into that. He is the keynote speaker on Friday. I would find it rude and inhospitable not to invite him to the Ronde on Sunday."

Rant off, as you were....#ifeelmuchbetternow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like being invited to a party with 100 other people and telling everyone you're not going because you don't like one person. I'm sure he won't be missed much.

What a load of stront

Maybe he should concentrate on sorting out the current issues instead of playing silly buggers with LA

It's like those "students" bravely defeating a statue of a dead man.

It's funny. I always liked LA's whole American Hero facade. But since his massive fall from grace and the revelations that he's a massive dick I actually like him more.

What a load of stront

Maybe he should concentrate on sorting out the current issues instead of playing silly buggers with LA

Different head same nodding action, like those toy dogs you used to see on the back shelf of cars when cars still had a back shelf

This is a current issue and has buggerall to do with your favourite cyclist

This is a current issue and has buggerall to do with your favourite cyclist

Do you think there are bigger current issues to be addressed? eg: Large scale doping, Russia, Rider Safety, Motos, Prize money sharing with teams, Rider development, Gender Equality in cycling?

Could you agree that this more a PR move than a tactical move to clean the sport up? David is leveraging the EXACT same "Lance brand" for self promotion that Flanders organisers are doing. 

Lappartient is a sanctimonious douche :thumbdown:

#timetoforgivelance :thumbup:

Like most French.................. :ph34r:

Do you think there are bigger current issues to be addressed? eg: Large scale doping, Russia, Rider Safety, Motos, Prize money sharing with teams, Rider development, Gender Equality in cycling?

Could you agree that this more a PR move than a tactical move to clean the sport up? David is leveraging the EXACT same "Lance brand" for self promotion that Flanders organisers are doing. 

I agree there are many big issues.This is certainly one of them.

I agree there are many big issues.This is certainly one of them.

Why do you see this as a big issue?

I am honestly just asking, not fighting, whats important to me might not be important to you, but it is important to try and understand why something is importnt to somebody else.

Edited by Patchelicious

Rant on

attachicon.gifLappartient.PNG

attachicon.gifArmstrong.PNG

Or rather who does Lappartient think he is?

​I would much rather go listen / see Mr LA at Tour of Flanders than Monsieur Lappartient

​Yes....i know LA is the antichrist of pro cycling and deservedly so

But really M Lappartient i think you over rate your popularity / importance

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lappartient-will-not-attend-tour-of-flanders-in-protest-of-lance-armstrong-invitation/

UCI president David Lappartient has said that he will not attend the 2018 Tour of Flanders following the organisation's decision to extend an invitation to Lance Armstrong to participate in a conference linked to the race.....

OK hang on, I'm confused. So for years Lance and the UCI were complicit in covering up doping. I'm aware that EPO usage (and other forms of doping) was probably happening across the board in the pro peloton, but Lance and previous UCI leaders were part of its rotten core - google Hein Verbruggen.  

Now a new UCI president is showing some sort of ethical backbone and is getting criticised?

That lance is more popular on the Hub is not really a proxy for right and wrong. I'm sure Ted Bundy gets more google hits than the police officers that caught him. I'm sure most people don't know who lappartient is. Its not relevant. He's the UCI president and is (seemingly) trying to take the moral high ground. It's pretty refreshing to see for a UCI president. 

So am I missing something? I'm not being sarcastic, that's a sincere question. I may well be ignorant about some back story that is preventing me from seeing what appears to be the popular opinion. 

For what it's worth, I am actually a fan of LA. 

Why do you see this as a big issue?

I am honestly just asking, not fighting, whats important to me might not be important to you, but it is important to try and understand why something is importnt to somebody else.

The point he makes about the possibility of CF winning say the Giro or the TDF this year and then having it stripped when he fails to prove his innocence is enough for me.By all accounts if it drags on that long there is a strong possibility of that happening as I am sure he has a number of big wins left in him.Thats all really