Visiting Cape Town from UK for biking - how bad's the drought

kilodan

The wife and I are heading down to Cape Town in May to bike, probably a couple of days in Tokai and then out to Franschhoek and Stellenbosch way probably about a week or so in total. The question my wife is now asking is how bad is the drought and will it make the trip a bit too grim? We're looking to stay in decent hotels not camping or any of that hardship.

Any advice gratefully received, cheers.

Edited by kilodan

In terms of your riding it will Not Ben effected at all. "Decent Hotels" will/should have contingency plans in place that shouldn't effect you really. The tourist drink bottled water any way & the worse I can imagine is 90 seconds showers ???? there will be no long bubble baths ???? that's for sure.

Stellenbosch and franshoek has enough water at moment. (own supply) There no plans for "day zero" here yet.

But May is long time away , might even rain early and have no issues.

Edited by Karman de Lange

Stellenbosch and franshoek has enough water at moment. (own supply) There no plans for "day zero" here yet.

add Hermanus to that list of no drought issues too, and there are endless mtb trail options in the surrounds.

actually same dams as cape town.

Welcome to the mother city. You will enjoy your stay, and the rides more so. Yes, it is dry, and yes, we are coping, but still that's not reason enough to skip a visit you would love. The food, the vibe, the places and people all make it worth the visit. And then there is the scenery you get to enjoy during a ride.

My advice would be to scope out the routes you want to ride and get people to ride along as guides so you 2 to see the good scenes and avoid the rough spots.

Cape Town has had its share of misery with fires ravaging our mountains to poverty, drugs and gangs. Now we face a drought. Every time this beautiful city rises from the ashes and yet again astounds the locals and tourists alike. 2 minute showers are not reason to stay away.

Hi Kilodan

Welcome on The Bikehub. I agree with the above sentiments. The water shortage is not going to be an issue as the hotels will have contingency plans. What you may have to accept is that even in your top class hotel you may be asked to please use the minimum water possible. By May we should have had our first winter rains, so hopefully the drought will be less severe, although our dams will take a lot longer to fill up. Also, it is really only the Cape metro area that has this problem, most of the surrounding areas have enough potable water.  

As far as the riding is concerned, consider getting a guide for an outing or two. iRideAfrica is a Hub member and offers fantastic trips as well as great quality bikes for hire. The owner is Daniel Dobinson, himself an excellent rider and a great guy.

http://www.irideafrica.com/

actually same dams as cape town.

Off topic but:

From march they will be cutting the last bit of supply of the CPT water network and have  100% own supply from local dams and local boreholes. 

(As far as we been told)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Many thanks for the replies much appreciated and should allay the wife's concerns. It will be our second trip to the area for biking so we have guides sorted and I'm sure it will be every bit as good as all the other biking trips we've had to RSA . You seem to be our default location for good weather biking, 5th year visiting now (3x Sani2c and then just holidays)!

May - that is after April

We may just not be around.

You'll have the trails all to yourself.

Come and have fun!

Edited by porqui

Hi Kilodan

Welcome on The Bikehub. I agree with the above sentiments. The water shortage is not going to be an issue as the hotels will have contingency plans. What you may have to accept is that even in your top class hotel you may be asked to please use the minimum water possible. By May we should have had our first winter rains, so hopefully the drought will be less severe, although our dams will take a lot longer to fill up. Also, it is really only the Cape metro area that has this problem, most of the surrounding areas have enough potable water.  

As far as the riding is concerned, consider getting a guide for an outing or two. iRideAfrica is a Hub member and offers fantastic trips as well as great quality bikes for hire. The owner is Daniel Dobinson, himself an excellent rider and a great guy.

http://www.irideafrica.com/

Thanks for the mention DJR! Our trail might be riding a bit rough due to lack of water (trailbuilders can't fix much without water!) so a trail bike will be your best bet to smooth out the roughness but there are plenty of different trail for all levels here so don't let it put you off.

You can ride free everywhere if you bring water...some legendary UK rain would be great

Many thanks for the replies much appreciated and should allay the wife's concerns. It will be our second trip to the area for biking so we have guides sorted and I'm sure it will be every bit as good as all the other biking trips we've had to RSA . You seem to be our default location for good weather biking, 5th year visiting now (3x Sani2c and then just holidays)!

Aaah the joys of getting many ZAR's when you spend a crisp Pound Sterling...I too would spend my vac's in a place with good biking.

Oh wait, I already do... :clap:  :whistling: