[EVENT] Dischem Ride for Sight 2018

mecheng89

Had an enjoyable ride in CL. Finished in the front group at 3:07, it looks like 2 guys snuck away and came in at 3:04. Didn't see any crashes in CL thankfully and we managed to get through that rough patch that Frosty warned us about. Thanks guys! 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

I went down about 20km in in group BL.

The crash was completely my fault - I came into the race undercooked and struggled to stay in the bunch which caused me to lose focus and touch a wheel.

My sincere apologies to the guy who crashed into me. He managed to get back on the bike and continue riding so no idea of injuries.

A massive thank you to Craig who dropped from the bunch and called me an ambulance, and stayed with me until the race marshals finally arrived.

Happy to report I got away from it with only severe road rash, however it seems to be time for new derailleurs, shifters, front wheel.. ugh.

Jassss dude I was right behind you. Happened under or before a bridge?

We were flying must have been 55 km/h. You went slightly from left to right next moment your bike hits the deck with a moer of a bang.

I did not see you I saw your bike I did not have time to react I missed your wheel dunno how

Woeg that was a scare

Very glad you can type it was a nasty sounding crash. Are you ok?

Jassss dude I was right behind you. Happened under or before a bridge?

We were flying must have been 55 km/h. You went slightly from left to right next moment your bike hits the deck with a moer of a bang.

I did not see you I saw your bike I did not have time to react I missed your wheel dunno how

Woeg that was a scare

Very glad you can type it was a nasty sounding crash. Are you ok?

Glad you managed to stay out of the crash.

Yah it was right under the bridge. We were doing about 55kmh cz it was a downhill bit. I have absolutely no idea how I ended up with nothing broken, only have bruises and road rash. Not fun but hurts and then heals.

Glad you managed to stay out of the crash.

Yah it was right under the bridge. We were doing about 55kmh cz it was a downhill bit. I have absolutely no idea how I ended up with nothing broken, only have bruises and road rash. Not fun but hurts and then heals.

Yeah yeah so you are fine, how’s the bike? ????

Yeah yeah so you are fine, how’s the bike?

Not good.. Both shifters had the nameplates scrape off completely and are scuffed up badly, front wheel is totalled and rear derailleur is also a goner. I had Dura Ace 7700 so it's a sad day when you say goodbye to your classic groupset.

I'm too afraid at this point to investigate the carbon for cracks.

Not good.. Both shifters had the nameplates scrape off completely and are scuffed up badly, front wheel is totalled and rear derailleur is also a goner. I had Dura Ace 7700 so it's a sad day when you say goodbye to your classic groupset.

I'm too afraid at this point to investigate the carbon for cracks.

Bliksem! Hard lines...

Had a great ride in AL.

Thanks to all who rode at the front

Yup good ride in A, got dropped the last climb out of heidelberg, impossible to catch up with al the truck's and cars on the road

Hi All

I went down about 20km in in group BL.

The crash was completely my fault - I came into the race undercooked and struggled to stay in the bunch which caused me to lose focus and touch a wheel.

My sincere apologies to the guy who crashed into me. He managed to get back on the bike and continue riding so no idea of injuries.

A massive thank you to Craig who dropped from the bunch and called me an ambulance, and stayed with me until the race marshals finally arrived.

Happy to report I got away from it with only severe road rash, however it seems to be time for new derailleurs, shifters, front wheel.. ugh.

Hard luck with the crash, hope you heal up soon (mentally too).

I like that new finish route, A lot safer I reckon. BUT I wish they would make the finish line in the main road. Those corners into the stadium claim victims every year. About 1km from the finish, the VC break came passed us. There was a dude from "coach one" just off the group on a very nice VENGE VIAS. He Passed us just before entering the stadium but he came in way too hot and after some impressive sideways locked rear wheel action he hit the curb and went OTB. All I heard was a loud pop/bang as he hit the curb. I was sure that was some serious broken carbon. I was at the drink station and next second he comes riding up, he rode over the line. I started talking to him. His TOKEN wheels were still as straight as an arrow and the bike looked fine. The front tyre was stuffed though, it had a massive hole in it. Then when I left I saw him riding home with a new tyre on.

Who was riding in VB race number 252 in a blue Ekurhuleni kit?

Let me know if you the photo where you waved at the camera in the bunch. You were the only 1 who saw the camera.

Who was riding in VB race number 252 in a blue Ekurhuleni kit?

You cant ask a question like that without divulging info and background to your question... this is THE HUB afterall where we all want to know "WHY???"

You cant ask a question like that without divulging info and background to your question... this is THE HUB afterall where we all want to know "WHY???"

Have a look at my post above. He saw the Gopro on my bike and waved. Wanted to know if he wants some pics?

Have a look at my post above. He saw the Gopro on my bike and waved. Wanted to know if he wants some pics?

:whistling:  right... sorry I didn't read up past your post

Hi - Hope all the riders who went down in EL are all ok , everyone got up after the crash, but they were all  sore.  :wacko:  :huh:  I also went down but was still able to finish.

Archived