Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

2019 MEMBERSHIP FEES 

The 2019 fees have been voted for by the Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club members, at our annual Special General Meeting, last week.

Main Membership: R790
Family Membership: R1580
Primary School Membership: R250
High School Membership: R350
Pensioner Membership: R305

The Family Membership will consist of 2 Main Members and up to 2 dependants (under the age of 18) being added on for free. For a family of more than 2 children, either the junior or high school membership will need to be added on to the order.

Pensioner Membership is for age 60 and up.

With our new membership fees, we will also be going live with our new, updated website on the 1st December. You will be able to use your new 2019 membership board as soon as you collect it, but the 2018 membership boards will still be valid up until the 31st January 2019.

Thank you for your support for 2018, bring on 2019.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3 ton metal frames I can hear & see from far away - they don't stalk me on the far side of a switch back or suddenly start moving a meter to my side when I'm slowly grinding up Spykers Hill.

Don't quite agree with Robbie that they are scared of me, few of the bigger buggers I encountered were clearly not intimidated by my presence. For some reason I saw more snakes on my last 2 rides at Hoogekraal/Welvergenoegd than I saw in 7 years of riding the Tygerberg trails. At the end of the 2nd ride this cupcake's nerves were shot!

Just yanking your derailleur, Skubarra.

More seriously, a shock to the system from being very fearful of a snake can actually lead to a serious crash in the bushes.

Going to Hoogekraal for the first time on Saturday and this thread is making me even more nervous :)

Hahahahaha about what? The climbs? Hoogies is very chilled you'll be fine

Just yanking your derailleur, Skubarra.

More seriously, a shock to the system from being very fearful of a snake can actually lead to a serious crash in the bushes.

I know  ^_^

I am just surprised by the increase in sightings, for now I'll try and stick to the trails on the early mornings when A) Snakes are less active B) More cyclists are on the trails which should improve my odds

Going to Hoogekraal for the first time on Saturday and this thread is making me even more nervous :)

Lekker, enjoy.

The cobra you should  skrik for (at least for the first attempt) is not of the slithery kind, but more of the enduro/dh line kind...

more seriously though, on the first time down, take it easy, and WALK that last corner.

Ja, you read that correctly. stap hom! 

Very interesting, they disabled the comments on the FB post. Wondered if a discussion will follow on the hub. 

Lekker, enjoy.

The cobra you should  skrik for (at least for the first attempt) is not of the slithery kind, but more of the enduro/dh line kind...

more seriously though, on the first time down, take it easy, and WALK that last corner.

Ja, you read that correctly. stap hom! 

lol...no you should NOT skrik for the Cobra. Thats Tygerberm's problem...overgrading what is essentially a green trail by international trail standards and calling it a black graded trail.

Ride down it, chill out and have fun. There's nothing hectic on that trail that you HAVE to ride over.

Thanks for the encouragement - it's always hard to figure out the actual difficulty level before going (maybe because different people have different things that they find hard?) but I'm really looking forward.

Except for the snakes. Can someone please go through the trails and scare them away at about 7am :)

Ja but then I went faster down the hoogekraal last downhill segment than you!!!! Still basking like a cobra in the glory.

You used to say that about me.

Very interesting, they disabled the comments on the FB post. Wondered if a discussion will follow on the hub. 

I know of a few members miffed at this weekend being limited in where one can ride. I expect they foresaw and decided to cut back on all the hate...

Durbie dash was not too long ago, and now this...

Perhaps, if there are going to be more and more "events", that 2019 price tag might start looking somewhat steep..? or is that just me? And 2020? touching a grand? 

But still, best buy of the year (still) for me, and I will gladly fork out the moola for another year's membership. (here's to hoping we get even more bang for our collective buck i.t.o. new trails in the new year - not "corridors", but trails  :ph34r: )

I know ^_^

I am just surprised by the increase in sightings, for now I'll try and stick to the trails on the early mornings when A) Snakes are less active B) More cyclists are on the trails which should improve my odds

Yip, I roll there before 0930ish.

Love quiet moments in the saddle .

And should I meet a serpent shortly after sunrise, I’ll scream like a schoolgirl and try to hold my line. ????

Edited by 'Dale

lol...no you should NOT skrik for the Cobra. Thats Tygerberm's problem...overgrading what is essentially a green trail by international trail standards and calling it a black graded trail.

Ride down it, chill out and have fun. There's nothing hectic on that trail that you HAVE to ride over.

I agree about the colour grading. But as for a complete newbie, that last bit at the bottom with the rock-berm thingamabob, I would walk it to get a better view of where to ride, instead of blindly going in hoping for the best. There is no b-line that I know of? But to be honest, it's been a while. But ja, skills differ from rider to rider.

I agree about the colour grading. But as for a complete newbie, that last bit at the bottom with the rock-berm thingamabob, I would walk it to get a better view of where to ride, instead of blindly going in hoping for the best. There is no b-line that I know of? But to be honest, it's been a while. But ja, skills differ from rider to rider.

Yeha as a complete noob. You get off walk and then check it out and ride...The same thing DH riders do at a DH track. nobody rides everything blind all the time. You gotta learn. But even that as a noob is ridable blind (slowly). Biggest mistake new riders make when tackling a technical trail...seatpost high enough to tickle your nostrils. Just drop the saddle at the top of the trail. Especially when still learning...And for heavens sake, don't learn to ride a bike while clipped in either :P

And 100% skills differ from rider to rider, but deterring people from what is essentially a pretty chilled trail unless you're trying to go as fast as humanly possible by overgrading it is a massive disservice to the community and the overall potential skill level of riders IMO.

And more importantly, deterring people from having fun riding a really cool trail as well.

Edited by Thermophage