Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

What time of day have you guys seen the most snakes?

Seen small ones from about ±9:30. But the big boys/girls i saw later in the afternoon ±15:30 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both times was later Sunday afternoon. Add to that the trails were really quiet with no other riders. I guess my odds would have been better early morning when there are more riders around and the trails are busy.

Not an expert on snakes but being cold blooded I expect the snakes to be more active during the warmer parts of the day. That's why I try ride early in the morning before they wake up. 

Ok awesome, that was my thinking as well. The earlier you get going the less chance of encountering a danger noodle. Only ever seen a snake in the heat of day as well. So I'll be the guy standing outside the trails waiting for sunrise.

Can someone confirm if any trail running is allowed on the trails (Not talking Meerendal)

We encounted someone while climbing up to the mast on conties, and he said "but I have a permit and he HAD one, the one the club sells. But as far as I know that is for riding only and the club has never sold permits for running or did I miss something?

from the club newsletter sent out each Friday:

post-103677-0-58487500-1541498744_thumb.png

Not an expert on snakes but being cold blooded I expect the snakes to be more active during the warmer parts of the day. That's why I try ride early in the morning before they wake up. 

Not so fast, compadre. Some species are more active at sunrise and sunset. Cobra's in particular are not too fussy about what time of day they decide to venture out of their lairs.

I came across two snakes on my last 2 visits to both Conties and Bloemendal, at different times of the day.

Both were BIG, and were either Cobra or Molesnake. Neither made a hood, but I was not hanging around to see if that was the case.

They talk about one trail there

True, but still pertinent. 

Trail running is, as has been mentioned, not allowed on TBMTB trails, apart from Meerendal's park run. And even there, only on certain parts.

NO running is allowed up the Conties Mast climb (from either side), and is open to riders only if they are members, as that part is a members only corridor.

But then, I don't see the wisdom in running on a MTB trail, as people, such as myself, who currently push the scale at 120kg's, will cause severe injury (or worse) to whomever I crash into on my crazy descents. (I have a penchant for going down a hill fast and loose.) The Conties mast climb is one of those places I let go of the brakes.

Not so fast, compadre. Some species are more active at sunrise and sunset. Cobra's in particular are not too fussy about what time of day they decide to venture out of their lairs.

I came across two snakes on my last 2 visits to both Conties and Bloemendal, at different times of the day.

Both were BIG, and were either Cobra or Molesnake. Neither made a hood, but I was not hanging around to see if that was the case.

Why man, why do you do this? I need to know that it's ok and I wont see any snakes if I go early.

I know snakes are often spotted on the Tygerberg trails but have there ever been an incident of a cyclist being bitten by a snake on our local trails?

Why man, why do you do this? I need to know that it's ok and I wont see any snakes if I go early.

You should not confuse a friendly warning with a vicious threat. All you need to do is ride slower, and keep your eyes open. Don't stop on single track and put your foot down where there are any bushes concealing where you step.

remember, a snake is waaay more scared of you, and would much rather get the opportunity to move off, than strike out in anger. 

Snakes will not simply bite for the sake of it, and in many cases, even if they do, they give dry bites to preserve their venom which is very valuable to them. Much like sharks, snakes are misunderstood. 

The most valuable piece of advice is to take it easy, and stay calm when you see one. Let it move off on its own, and DO NOT try to pick it up. (speaking to the more intellectually challenged folks who think picking a wild snake up is fun.) Most snake bites in SA are to snake handlers. Go figure.

Let me clarify the trail running issue on TMTBC trails. There are only two trail centres that allow trail running on their property

1 Meerendal. There is supposed to be a running specific trail, but trail runners seem to run as and where they please, but the land owners are not too phased about it so chill and relax if you bump into one on the trail

2 Bloemendal lower. Lower Bloemendal only (to the South of Tygervalley Rd). Trail running only on the dirt roads and NOT any single track at all

That is it!!

No trail running at Upper Bloemendal, lower Bloemendal single track, Hillcrest, Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Welvergenoegd, Fair Cape or ANY of the Corridors. If you see any trail runners on these trails please feel free to take them out...

On the snake issue, taking into account that I do spend a lot of time on these trails, experience has taught me that the mornings are generally ok and there is definitely more activity  from 3.00pm to 5.00pm. In summer, I stick to riding in the mornings....

Let me clarify the trail running issue on TMTBC trails. There are only two trail centres that allow trail running on their property

1 Meerendal. There is supposed to be a running specific trail, but trail runners seem to run as and where they please, but the land owners are not too phased about it so chill and relax if you bump into one on the trail

2 Bloemendal lower. Lower Bloemendal only (to the South of Tygervalley Rd). Trail running only on the dirt roads and NOT any single track at all

That is it!!

No trail running at Upper Bloemendal, lower Bloemendal single track, Hillcrest, Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Welvergenoegd, Fair Cape or ANY of the Corridors. If you see any trail runners on these trails please feel free to take them out...

On the snake issue, taking into account that I do spend a lot of time on these trails, experience has taught me that the mornings are generally ok and there is definitely more activity  from 3.00pm to 5.00pm. In summer, I stick to riding in the mornings....

Do the trail runners on Bloemendal get a different permit to the ones MTB'er get?

Do the trail runners on Bloemendal get a different permit to the ones MTB'er get?

No, same day pass as the rest. You just need to have it available for presentation on request. So don't go running off without it.

And on that note, back to the bit about the Protea Corridor (which starts at Bloemendal by the gate just after the B Spot finish)...no running. Period.

People should not run there, as the land owners can, and will, retract their land use permission, which is detrimental to the club as a whole, and all the other law abiding members.

I have also seen a few people ride lower Bloemendal a couple weekends ago without day passes. A mix of kids and parents, just not giving a SH i T. 

Not cool.

You should not confuse a friendly warning with a vicious threat. All you need to do is ride slower, and keep your eyes open. Don't stop on single track and put your foot down where there are any bushes concealing where you step.

remember, a snake is waaay more scared of you, and would much rather get the opportunity to move off, than strike out in anger. 

Snakes will not simply bite for the sake of it, and in many cases, even if they do, they give dry bites to preserve their venom which is very valuable to them. Much like sharks, snakes are misunderstood. 

The most valuable piece of advice is to take it easy, and stay calm when you see one. Let it move off on its own, and DO NOT try to pick it up. (speaking to the more intellectually challenged folks who think picking a wild snake up is fun.) Most snake bites in SA are to snake handlers. Go figure.

Ok awesome, thanks for that. Will keep it in mind.

I just don't know man, I feel it is a bit unnecessary to give be a dry bite, so biting me just for the case off biting. How about no. Just leave me alone.

I once saw a molslang coming out of a hole in the ground at Meerendal, looked like a steel rod rising out of the ground, until I saw its tongue, and let me tell you this: there is no way that snake was more scared of me than I was of it. No way. I literally screamed like a girl, and started shaking on my bike. Absolutely kakked my bibs.