Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It's not comparable to the Dorstberg climb. It is much steeper. The rocky bit on Dorstberg is techy, but the Contermans mast climb is properly steep.

If you want the lungs to pop, go up there to the top. If you are black trail averse then you'll have to descend the same way you came up, but the trail down from there on the revised enduro line is very much doable on a HT, but you do need to at least walk it first before attempting it. Same is true for the two Rhino's. You can do them on a HT but you need proper commitment and some skill in riding over rocks on steep descending terrain. Apart from that the line is awesome.

When you talking about the mast climb are you referring to the section going to Bloemendaaler? Or is there a different mast climb at Conties? I thought if I go up that black rhino climb I’d come out on the top and then decide if I wanna do another supertubes or change trail back to bloemendaaler?

im definitely not gonna try my luck descending down a black trail on hard tail so if that’s the case I’d rather then just skip it if there’s no alternative. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can definitely descend and hit all the features on the Black Rhino trail on a hard tail. 

The only two features at Conties not recommended for a hard tail would be the big road gap on the DH line off the structure and the big step down on the old enduro line, but I don't think that is open to the public anyway.

The climb is steep, but pretty rideable without much fuss. I sometimes have to walk 2 little sections of it on the SS when I'm tired. 

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

One can definitely descend and hit all the features on the Black Rhino trail on a hard tail. 

The climb is steep, but pretty rideable without much fuss. I sometimes have to walk 2 little sections of it on the SS when I'm tired. 

And then you wake up ?

I think to further clarify (if needed), as you have never been to Conties: when you leave the Dairy Shed (trailhead) and start climbing up towards the direction of the mast, you reach two plateaus before the real climb up to the mast itself (which is proper steep in  2 sections). The first (small) plateau is where you could turn off left down the member's corridor toward Meerendal. If you ignore that and continue toward the mast, you reach a 2nd plateau where you can turn off right and head down the seriously fun descent of Supertubes. If you carry on straight, you hit the climb to the mast and there is no way back down to Conties trailhead other than the black routes (various split offs). If you're not confident in your skills rather leave it out. The initial longish climb up toward Supertubes can also constitute a lung bursting climb depending on your speed.

Once you finish the descent of Supertubes there is a small climb which evens out onto a level stretch heading toward cheeky corners. At this junction there is another steep climb veering off to the left which would deliver you back to the top of the Mast/Supertubes road. I think that might be more worthwhile if you're looking for a nice climbing challenge. Then you get to do Supertubes again before doing cheeky corners (which can also be repeated if you take dual track/road along the fence back up again.

Lots of options to play around. Enjoy

1 hour ago, mrcg said:

I think to further clarify (if needed), as you have never been to Conties: when you leave the Dairy Shed (trailhead) and start climbing up towards the direction of the mast, you reach two plateaus before the real climb up to the mast itself (which is proper steep in  2 sections). The first (small) plateau is where you could turn off left down the member's corridor toward Meerendal. If you ignore that and continue toward the mast, you reach a 2nd plateau where you can turn off right and head down the seriously fun descent of Supertubes. If you carry on straight, you hit the climb to the mast and there is no way back down to Conties trailhead other than the black routes (various split offs). If you're not confident in your skills rather leave it out. The initial longish climb up toward Supertubes can also constitute a lung bursting climb depending on your speed.

Once you finish the descent of Supertubes there is a small climb which evens out onto a level stretch heading toward cheeky corners. At this junction there is another steep climb veering off to the left which would deliver you back to the top of the Mast/Supertubes road. I think that might be more worthwhile if you're looking for a nice climbing challenge. Then you get to do Supertubes again before doing cheeky corners (which can also be repeated if you take dual track/road along the fence back up again.

Lots of options to play around. Enjoy

Perfect. Think this makes more sense. 

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

the climb connects to the mast climb, so you don't have to go down the techy trails, you can just follow the fire road to the top of supertubes?

yep, I was only mentioning that the techy trails are not that bad that a HT won't be rideable down there. I have ridden down there on a HT before and I have some riding mates who have done the full Rhino descent from top to bottom a good few times on HT's before recently migrating to full suss bikes.

I didn't post to say it's impossible to do these trails on a HT, I thought you said that if you do that climb from that side (assuming you are indeed talking about the one that goes from bottom of happy hops to BR 1 and 0 etc etc), you HAVE TO go down BR or the Revised enduro, but I'm pretty sure you can rejoin top of supertubes ;)  I even think you can rejoin it from the middle of the revised enduro before that sharp/steep left hander that goes towards the stepdowns.

A not super dialed in 100mm HT on the upper Rhino will be a rough ride for sure, same for the revised line. Everything is doable if you have the right amount of skills, but upper Rhino isn't for everyone in the first place, even less so on a 100mm fork imo.

Ah, I gotcha. Yes, you are able to ride up the side of the Rhino's and meet up at the bottom of the Mast Climb. From there you can also go up to the mast or go left towards Supertubes. It is a very rocky climb that, being a proper pooper popper with regards to steepness.

I'm most definitely not built like a racing snake, so I usually end up pushing up that bit the moment it gets steep. I am however one of the lunatics who pits immense pleasure from riding down the two Rhino's. That line is my favourite line in the entire network, and I would hazard to say I actually like riding that line more than most Jonkers lines. :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Clearing up confusion

image.png.4565d552eee5ccff3e903c295e10efe4.png

Okay this makes it more clear now. 

Sheesh that Rhino climb looks long and steep🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Okay this makes it more clear now. 

Sheesh that Rhino climb looks long and steep🤦🏻‍♂️

It's a good test of your fitness. I will warn you that you will feel it on the way up. It's not so insanely steep all the way, but it has its moments.

The Rhino climb is a challenge and will test you, but very rewarding. I have done this a couple of times. Another option is to go up and go down Black Rhino 2 instead of doing the full climb. Black Rhino 2 will be fun with a HT! lol 😁

A kind reminder to existing members to attend to their online renewals by end of January 2023.

Also remember to make use of your membership benefit, the Discount Partners program (see club's website for details).  

Any membership queries may be directed to the club via info@tygerbergmtb.co.za or 

322741538_5748015101983851_4941227894404402821_n.jpg

Edited by Morne Veer
spelling error

12 minutes ago, Morne Veer said:

A kind reminder to existing members to attend to their online renewals by end of January 2023.

Also remember to make use of your membership benefit, the Discount Partners program (see club's website for details).  

Any membership queries may be directed to the club via info@tygerbergmtb.co.za or 

322741538_5748015101983851_4941227894404402821_n.jpg

Morne in the past we got a "membership card", to use at the partner stores.

How do we now make use of our membership at partner stores ?

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Morne in the past we got a "membership card", to use at the partner stores.

How do we now make use of our membership at partner stores ?

Hi Chris, should you get asked by one of the Discount Partners to confirm your membership, you can simply show them the mail from your inbox with confirmation of approved / processed 2023 membership.  Most folk find it easy to just do a screengrab from such and have it handy on their phone if asked for. 

3 minutes ago, Morne Veer said:

Hi Chris, should you get asked by one of the Discount Partners to confirm your membership, you can simply show them the mail from your inbox with confirmation of approved / processed 2023 membership.  Most folk find it easy to just do a screengrab from such and have it handy on their phone if asked for. 

Dankie 👍