[Event] Bestmed Tour Of Good Hope

PRFullstop

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw on Twitter - amateur competition has been cancelled (you can ride as an individual but no money back for teams already entered..) & Bothmaskloof climb has been taken out. So in 5 days of riding there will be literally 1 big climb (other than the Paarl monument finish on day 5) - I might just show up on sunday at the CTCT completely tapered  :ph34r:

This event is literally dying in front of our eyes.

Just saw on Twitter - amateur competition has been cancelled (you can ride as an individual but no money back for teams already entered..) & Bothmaskloof climb has been taken out. So in 5 days of riding there will be literally 1 big climb (other than the Paarl monument finish on day 5) - I might just show up on sunday at the CTCT completely tapered :ph34r:

This event is literally dying in front of our eyes.

What's reason for pulling on amateur competition?

I heard route change was due to the late UCI status that was given and the lack of traffic control on those passes. Something to that effect.

Complete scambles

What's reason for pulling on amateur competition?

I heard route change was due to the late UCI status that was given and the lack of traffic control on those passes. Something to that effect.

Complete scambles

Too few amateur teams entered. I think partly because sponsors came aboard very late so no one was sure if event will take place.

Actually quite a few pro teams entered. Think that part will be interesting. Amateurs part of the race bit of a mess

so who won?

see racetec results have disappeared

the current SA u23 Champ, Marc Pritzen from OfficeGuru.

My thoughts & observations on this week.

Again as said earlier, taking out Du Toit's and Franschoek passes along with the cancellation of the amateur team competition watered down this event a lot.

Number of entrants have halved since I first took part in 2017, many of the people I spoke too during the event weren't planning to come again next year.

Despite all their flowery "marketing speak" press releases, ASG Events are really terrible at communicating things that matter. Just one example of many - website says stage 4 is 127km, doesn't mention there is a 15km neutral zone which would make is 142km, morning of the race there was a route change we ended up riding 163km's! For most of us there is a bit of difference in riding 127km vs 163km (especially if you do Bain's kloof twice!)

New routes are boringly repetitive, lost count of how many times I had to ride Slent/Agter-Paardeberg road this week.

That said, riding my bike during office hours always beats sitting at the office. Riding in the individual competition was a huge step up from chilling in the corporate bunches previous years. Geez the racing was hard, must have been on par with A bunch in the PPA races. I picked up a whole lot of Strava PR's this week despite having done dozens of PPA races on the same routes.

Despite the miscommunications and extra km's Stage 4 was my fav day. Riding Bain's twice was a huge challenge (and I sucked at it, especially coming back...)

So despite all the critisisms I actually enjoyed this event.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to see the race happening next year. The way I see it organisers are going to have to get realy creative to save this event.

Edit - just to add, very sad about the lady bike marshal that passed away on day 1, don't know if it's the same lady that marshalled many of the PPA races that I have done. Sadly a very risky job keeping us MAMIL's safe!!

Edited by Skubarra

Edit - just to add, very sad about the lady bike marshal that passed away on day 1,

don't know if it's the same lady that marshalled many of the PPA races that I have done.

Sadly a very risky job keeping us MAMIL's safe!!

The Bike Marshals used at the TOGH are "Road Rangers", based in Pretoria.

They are not the same crew that are used at PPA Events.

• 3 months later...

Just got an email saying there's 10 Solo Amateur entries at 50% off for 2020 --- 

Make that 9.

Solo amateur is what I am. Maybe option to join a team later on but if not - 5 days of riding my bike, pretending to be a proper racer in controlled conditions ..... yes please.

save your money and dont go - a useless race. Go for a 5day holiday and ride your bike.

2019 TOGH was my worst race and event ever

Just got an email saying there's 10 Solo Amateur entries at 50% off for 2020 --- 

Make that 9.

Solo amateur is what I am. Maybe option to join a team later on but if not - 5 days of riding my bike, pretending to be a proper racer in controlled conditions ..... yes please.

save your money and dont go - a useless race. Go for a 5day holiday and ride your bike.

2019 TOGH was my worst race and event ever

I had the same negative experience in 2019.

However it used to be an amazing race and with the much longer runway (plus a sponsor secured) I believe they are trying to revive it properly for 2020.

I've also taken a discounted entry for next year, backing them to do a better job.

• 4 months later...