Misleading Information on Fork - Classifieds

MickeyM35

Thank you for your view Johan.

I did not bother to ask for the dimensions of the taper because all of the ad’s on the classifieds indicate either tapered or straight. None of them go into the detail of the dimensions due to the accepted standard.

@dragorosso yip the legal and crazy will cost me but I am one of those that insist on fairness and if the general consensus on the forum is that I was misled, I am happy to take the crazy legal route.

Well you are screwed on the crazy legal route, transactions that are not within an individual's ordinary course of business, i.e selling in classifieds are automatically deemed to be voetstoots transactions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should return the fork at your expense....you didn't check sizes

I think the buyer should refund you less shipping as he didn't state it was OD2

Probably no-ones fault but a lack of knowledge on both sides...?

Shouldn't be for the buyers expense. The only time you find out about OD2 is when you're a Giant owner and looking to replace a fork.

If this was reversed and the buyer needed OD2 and received tapered, I'd 100% say buyer at fault.

If you're selling something that deviates from the industry standard, it's up to you to disclose. If I bought a set of wheels from a pyga owner, I'd be pretty pissed at finding that I needed to have the rear wheel redished when he told me the rear wheel was TA.

This ☝

If this was the case, why respond with "Speak to my lawyer" and not, "Oh crap, I didn't even know that was a thing? Holy Moly how many industry standards are there! Lets see what sort of an arrangement we can come to."

The person is clearly an idiot if those are the real facts. If he knew what it was then he intentionally mislead you - if he didn't then he should stop being a prick and refund you and apologise for the confusion (many people wouldn't know the difference so it's a fair mistake on his behalf).

There is absolutely no reason you should be stuck having to overpay for a fork that isn't what you reasonably thought it was.

Unfortunately your only real option if he wants to act like that is to name and shame him and put some very strongly worded feedback on his profile. I can't imagine a court will have any idea what you are talking about (tapered vs OD2 etc) and he could probably persuade them he disclosed it correctly unless there is a cyclist as a judge. It's also not really worth going that route for your own sanity...

Well you are screwed on the crazy legal route, transactions that are not within an individual's ordinary course of business, i.e selling in classifieds are automatically deemed to be voetstoots transactions.

^^^^this is why you need to just suck it up as school fees

the seller is a sh*t and he took you- if you have asked nicely(it seems you did and he said no)

all you have left is to name and to give a sh*t revue in sellers feedback (so he doesnt misleed others)and move on .

it annoying it happens to us all but you need to let it go :thumbup:

Edited by bikebloke

If this was the case, why respond with "Speak to my lawyer" and not, "Oh crap, I didn't even know that was a thing? Holy Moly how many industry standards are there! Lets see what sort of an arrangement we can come to."

Couldnt agree more.

I appreciate all of the views. I will send a link to the seller and give him a chance to make good failing which I will publish on the forum so as to prevent this from happening to other hubbers.

This happened to me as well about a year ago.

I went and bought a giant headset and bearings. I then turned down the cups to fit into my Pyga. Worked perfectly. You can contact me and I can help you do the mod.

I agree with hubland; there is a certain sense of confidence snd security buying from a fellow hubber believing this community is devoid of scamsters found in this crazy f@cked up world we living in...and sad to be reminded that this isn't entirely the case.

This guy is definitely being a douche..and should be named and shamed to protect any future Hubber being conned by non full disclosure..and newbies to learn rules of engagement.

This happened to me as well about a year ago.

I went and bought a giant headset and bearings. I then turned down the cups to fit into my Pyga. Worked perfectly. You can contact me and I can help you do the mod.

Shitty stem choice remains!

No. Private sales are not subject to the CPA. Private sales are still subject to not misrepresenting the goods. 

Small claims court is free. 

Shitty stem choice remains!

I sold my OD2 fork a couple of weeks ago. I supplied the buyer with the stem, spacers, and upper headset assembly. I don't get why someone would not include that in the sale when selling such a fork. Its certainly an incentive to get the thing sold. And its not like the seller would replace it with another OD2 setup either.

Did not see that one coming.

So in a situation like this, should one name and praise for the amicable resolution by the seller or is the fact that we don't name and shame reward enough for doing the right thing?