Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Tried to find the bird yesterday, no luck! Will try do a jog through there this week and confirm him :clap: Saw an ambulance there yesterday too :(

Edited by Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to find the bird yesterday, no luck! Will try do a jog through there this week and confirm him :clap: Saw an ambulance there yesterday too :(

Bird still there. Got tagged again yesterday.

Anyone know about an apparent armed robbery on the acces road??

I have received numerous whatsapps and emails about it. Also not the first time in the last few weeks.

I own a rental at Westlake and they have sent mails about a few incidents in the area.

The robbery this week was some runners that parked at the shell garage and then headed towards the reserve. A white BMW stopped and they were robbed of phones and keys.

Yes! That's the exact sound it made while it was circling above me, on the way to scaring the bejeesus out of me with its next kamikaze strike.

Ah man those things are crazy. I remember playing school boy cricket at an away field and a crowned lapwing had a nest in the outfield. The home team used it to their advantage as non of us wanted to field anywhere near this flipping bird protecting the eggs so they played every shot as close to the nest as possible. IICR we lost that day.

Rode there today- 25 min wait in the traffic queue just to get in-

perhaps an online system will speed this up? like northern farm or buffelsdrift are online.

The entrance road is an obstacle course unless you're in an auto 4x4! lol.

Once in there were walkers but they thinned out deeper in-

trails are looking good and had a great ride! 

perhaps an online system will speed this up? like northern farm or buffelsdrift are online.

Pro tip :ph34r: : Park at the Shell Garage and have a nice warm-up ride into the reserve- it's about 5k's 

Pro tip :ph34r: : Park at the Shell Garage and have a nice warm-up ride into the reserve- it's about 5k's 

We live in an estate about 3kms from the gate so a pleasant 5kms to the start of the trails. Sometimes not such a pleasant ride home when you have chased your fit mates around the Red route.

We went in at 8am yesterday and there were about 10 cars in the queue but the one attendant waved us to the exit side and we paid there. The carpark was full already.

On our way out at 10:30 there must have been 25 cars waiting to get in. 

In the 3.5years that we have lived in the area and ridden at the Park we have never seen as many cyclists or hikers. This seems to be one of the good aspects of this virus - people want to be healthier.

We live in an estate about 3kms from the gate so a pleasant 5kms to the start of the trails. Sometimes not such a pleasant ride home when you have chased your fit mates around the Red route.

We went in at 8am yesterday and there were about 10 cars in the queue but the one attendant waved us to the exit side and we paid there. The carpark was full already.

On our way out at 10:30 there must have been 25 cars waiting to get in. 

In the 3.5years that we have lived in the area and ridden at the Park we have never seen as many cyclists or hikers. This seems to be one of the good aspects of this virus - people want to be healthier.

I think it's the Fourways "market" with the food trucks that are drawing the crowds over the weekends.

I think it's the Fourways "market" with the food trucks that are drawing the crowds over the weekends.

I read that Cradle Moon had to shut down for a while today with the flood of visitors...?

These places are getting busy. 

I read that Cradle Moon had to shut down for a while today with the flood of visitors...?

These places are getting busy.

I wouldn't be surprised. With the weather being good atm. I asked the fourways market people and their arguement was that there's hectares of land which is true but the people are all milling around standing in queues for food , not on the trails. It's still better than a mall but In personally still opting to avoid the trails over weekends.

Went on Sat entered at 8:45 entrance was not bad at all, only about 6 cars in the line - maybe i was lucky, the guy i went with was 10 min behind me me in a line of about 20 cars.

Did the red route, but cut out the river section, didn't wanna disturb the bird (Or maybe i was hammered I dunno) Trails are lekka clean for the most part - Good that they burnt the reeds as they were very overgrown - Now they'll grow back in the summer again.

Lots of trail walkers on the MTB trails - which i'm cool with - share the trails, be nice, don't be a box. But my only concern were the walkers on the downhill single track from the top gate back to the start - This should be verboden for walkers there gonna be a serious accident if they don't enforce this on this section. 4 guys only just managed to jump out the way when i was bombing down, I also only realized they were in the trail when i was nearly on top of them, head was down on the trail trying to keep my navigation on point.

there is a specific walkers trail next to the tar road they supposed to be using.

I would hazard a guess that most of the trail walkers are using this place for the first time and don't realize there are dedicated and marked walkers trails. In the past, walkers were not allowed on the MTB trails and MTBers were not allowed on the walkers trails -

Its only a matter of time before there gonna be an incident if the Taroko don't get this under control.

Bike parks are busy in general nowadays... I skipped modderfontein because I've heard of the long lines... Instead took the long drive from Midrand to Cowhouse, there it was busier than usual... Got back in car and went to Rosemary Hill.... There too, busy. Lol... Just ended up riding there otherwise I would have driven the whole of gauteng. People must be careful not to congregate in parking lots, draws unnecessary attention.

They should make the top gate (Old entrance) the MTB entrance maybe for Multicard access only. Then we could park at 33 high street or the new shopping center and ride in like the old days

This would reduce congestion at the entrance and they would sell lots more multi entry cards = cash in the bank for trail maintenance.