Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen that section as bad as that ! - When did you take the pics ? we rode there 28th Nov it was wet but not muddy at all 

Looked exactly like that this past weekend. 

Never seen that section as bad as that ! - When did you take the pics ? we rode there 28th Nov it was wet but not muddy at all

This morning

This morning

Wow. I was there 2 weeks ago, and it was nothing like that.

How is the section after the “long” wooden bridge? as that was already pretty muddy then, before all the rains.

Wow. I was there 2 weeks ago, and it was nothing like that.

How is the section after the “long” wooden bridge? as that was already pretty muddy then, before all the rains.

It is a bit worse than normal there, but nothing like the above section Edited by Chadvdw67

Just chatted with them on their FB page Annual passes are now on sale where you normally pay - 1200 ronds for MTB & Running - 800 ronds running only - 600 ronds kids under 12.

Very reasonable me thinks if you are a weekly / monthly rider / runner

More trails to maintain for MTB

But on the other hand, they do far more maintenance on the running/walking/hiking trails than the MTB trails

Left out the “?”. My bad

Fair is fair. Should be the same rates.

Runners don't need berms, and they also don't skid into corners (causing erosion when the rains come). Running trails require a whole lot less maintenance than bike trails...

Runners don't need berms, and they also don't skid into corners (causing erosion when the rains come). Running trails require a whole lot less maintenance than bike trails...

You are right. Are there berms at Modderfontein though? I don’t recall seeing any where there really should be.

You are right. Are there berms at Modderfontein though? I don’t recall seeing any where there really should be.

That, and the fact that they spend a LOT more time maintaining the walking trails, when I was there on Tuesday at the area the Park Run is hosted, all the grass has been cut, new trees are being planted etc, but from what I saw on the Yellow MTB loop, there has been pretty much zero maintenance, except for the last fast singletrack

I will continue to ride there though when it dries up a bit, it is close to where I stay and if I feel like a long, for me, ride I can ride from home, do a loop and ride back home

• 4 weeks later...
I made the same comment to my wife yesterday. The period of most rain and growth coincides with the annual leave period of the workers.

A couple of places that were tricky (a little blind riding) but a couple days with bush cutters and it will be fine again.

I avoided the 1st section of reeds before the little dam as it was quite muddy and then there was one other muddy section along a fence

Edited by I FLY