Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Did the Yellow route with some red sections in between over the weekend and i must say that i found the reversal a nice change. There are definitely some sections that don't really work in reverse unless you have massive momentum and have a good line Eg: last yellow section before you exit where you climb the big rock. Going down the rock was more fun!

Overall i felt that i was faster now doing the trail in reverse if that makes any sense  :wacko:

Edited by slickjay007

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the reverse green route for the first time (and surprise surprise) I just did not like it. I guess i don’t like change.

Also, at points the directional arrows kinda sucked. Like approaching the big big rock, it tells you to make a left, but there is no track to turn left on to. Another bitch, at times they have used the same arrows as before the reversal, but they have not even bothered to paint over the distance markers. So like right at the beginning of the ride, there is a green arrow saying 3.5km to go. I found this disconcerting. I mean wtf, cant they have the teensiest bit of intention to detail. Other than all that I did have lots of fun, and will give it another shot this weekend.

Did the Yellow route with some red sections in between over the weekend and i must say that i found the reversal a nice change. There are definitely some sections that don't really work in reverse unless you have massive momentum and have a good line Eg: last yellow section before you exit where you climb the big rock. Going down the rock was more fun!

Overall i felt that i was faster now doing the trail in reverse if that makes any sense  :wacko:

This 'reverse' route is actually the original direction. I think it was when car track o some other car tracking company started sponsoring them did they switch the route around.

I do prefer the route in the current direction - get the somewhat boring single track sections that are just going up and down the field out the way first, the then do the fun bits in the forest sections last

The reversed route was the original route back when we still paid for entry at the club parking and then rode to the top gate, after which you made an immediate left onto the trails. then they moved the entry ticket payment to 33 High street parking.

Once they moved the start to where it is now they reversed the route.

The reversed route was the original route back when we still paid for entry at the club parking and then rode to the top gate, after which you made an immediate left onto the trails. then they moved the entry ticket payment to 33 High street parking.

That first reversal was chaos!

I remember that pathway from club to the start near the firemans tavern there was a bump thing that plenty okes used to come short on.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that pathway from club to the start near the firemans tavern there was a bump thing that plenty okes used to come short on.

Thats where MooToo decided to do a full destruction test on his fancy wheels they used to import. Kind of put a new meaning to the word Pretzel !!

Rode most of the route on Saturday for the second time.

1. Reversing all of the route is ok but "re"-designing the route to make the best use of the available topography would be better, some things just don't make sense backwards and others are great, why not mix it up by putting your own stamp on how the route should run.
  2. The dual slalom section through the trees was one of the most fun aspects of the whole ride, now it's a pointless uphill slog when the fire road just next to it could be used for the uphill so that the dual slalom can stay downhill.
  3. Reversing the dam section just above the reeds in the far corner is meh. You used to have an awesome drop in to the ride along the canal before going around the dam to a lekker drop that gave you plenty of speed down to the reeds. now in reverse you just have a silly loose climb up the dam wall that all but the most x/y/z have to walk up and then a featureless ride around the dam because you can't do the canal drop in in reverse.

I might even check for an old strava file where I did the whole available route and put arrows on to see if my theory can be put into practice. Or maybe I'll just ride my bike.

Edited by Nakoota

Rode most of the route on Saturday for the second time.

• Reversing all of the route is ok but "re"-designing the route to make the best use of the available topography would be better, some things just don't make sense backwards and others are great, why not mix it up by putting your own stamp on how the route should run.
  • The dual slalom section through the trees was one of the most fun aspects of the whole ride, now it's a pointless uphill slog when the fire road just next to it could be used for the uphill so that the dual slalom can stay downhill.
  • Reversing the dam section just above the reeds in the far corner is meh. You used to have an awesome drop in to the ride along the canal before going around the dam to a lekker drop that gave you plenty of speed down to the reeds. now in reverse you just have a silly loose climb up the dam wall that all but the most x/y/z have to walk up and then a featureless ride around the dam because you can't do the canal drop in in reverse.
I might even check for an old strava file where I did the whole available route and put arrows on to see if my theory can be put into practice. Or maybe I'll just ride my bike.

I agree with you about "dodging the trees" section/segment, the downhill from the "old" gate was my personal favourite, where the trail bikes just started to get loose.

I agree with you about "dodging the trees" section/segment, the downhill from the "old" gate was my personal favourite, where the trail bikes just started to get loose.

A personal favourite too. At least we still have the last fast singletrack! Imagine if we had to ride up that and down the tar road  :w00t:

Thats where MooToo decided to do a full destruction test on his fancy wheels they used to import. Kind of put a new meaning to the word Pretzel !!

I am an unhappy owner of 3 sets. They require a lot of maintenance and I have had to throw my mtb ones away due to cracks. 2 Tandem sets need constant straightening. Not to mention the amount of new spokes we have had to import from the states at great expensive. But when MooToo and Giraffe still sold them, they were always very keen to help out so I never hold it against them.

I am an unhappy owner of 3 sets. They require a lot of maintenance and I have had to throw my mtb ones away due to cracks. 2 Tandem sets need constant straightening. Not to mention the amount of new spokes we have had to import from the states at great expensive. But when MooToo and Giraffe still sold them, they were always very keen to help out so I never hold it against them.

HUH?