Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

What time does Modderfontein open in the mornings? Want to go ride there tomorrow morning, is it still worthwhile or has the trails gone to the dogs?

6 o clock, its really NOT that bad, still ride able.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a facebook page, and if you give friendly suggestions , hopefully

they will will put in some Much needed TLC

I did in the past and they responded very quickly

We rode there on Wednesday morning, was a bit eery as we were the only 2 guys around. Trails are not that bad, was expecting far worse. Some sections are a bit over grown, specially the blackjacks but really not that bad. Some sections we saw that the grass was cut, so someone must still be doing some work there. Overall still worth a visit!

Try the old building section. Can't see the trail for all the black jacks... Hopefully gets sorted out soon.

post-44041-0-93858900-1524070834_thumb.jpg

Noticed this at Modders today at the perimeter wall next to the tar road at the beginning. Anyone know what that is all about. I must say it gave me a bit of an uneasy feeling.

With all the construction work going on,I must say though they were tarring the access road today, the drive in, with all the construction, The place feels like a dump site (not the trail itself) - there was a conservation guy driving around so maybe at least that part is being taken care of still.

attachicon.gif_20180418_190001.JPG

Noticed this at Modders today at the perimeter wall next to the tar road at the beginning. Anyone know what that is all about. I must say it gave me a bit of an uneasy feeling.

With all the construction work going on,I must say though they were tarring the access road today, the drive in, with all the construction, The place feels like a dump site (not the trail itself) - there was a conservation guy driving around so maybe at least that part is being taken care of still.

It looks to me like an interim PIE Act order. And, yes it’s definitely unsettling, and kinda makes me re-think the wisdom of riding alone there.

I am actually interested to see the court papers. Uni, if you swiped them, and still have them, could you email it to me?

Uni, if you swiped them, and still have them, could you email it to me?

I didn't swipe them but if I'm back I'll try. There was many copies all the way up.

My spidey senses were definitely on edge. I did see a security riding around testing the electric fences.

It looks to me like an interim PIE Act order. And, yes it’s definitely unsettling, and kinda makes me re-think the wisdom of riding alone

I messaged tne reserve and they responded that there were illegal squatters on the adjacent land, not within the reserve itself.

Sometimes i wonder if it's just a matter of time though. Reassuring but still be careful.

• 2 weeks later...

Also saw a decent improvement this weekend.

The black trails at the far end and through the old buildings still need some attention, but definitely better. Well done.

Also saw a decent improvement this weekend.

The black trails at the far end and through the old buildings still need some attention, but definitely better. Well done.

I was there on Sunday riding the yellow route. The tracks are clear but I was "amazed" at the wide sections of blackjack weeds that have grown next to them.

This is my concern at Modders. Wherever squatters are allowed to settle (allowed as they have obviously come from somewhere) whether they are legal or illegal (what is the actual difference anyway) squatters......this is when the crime starts and it then escalates and cyclists/runners/hikers/walkers get attacked-

It happened at Voortrekker/Groenkooof/Fountains in Pta, has happened (and is happening) on the Spruit and at various other places such as Hennops where an amateur mountain biker such as myself has been to and has cycled and hiked. At Hennops for example I have watched as the township/settlement/location/town/city (what is it called?) across the road that goes to Harties has mushroomed and the closer it gets to that road the more the crime increased at the Hennops 4x4 area and hiking area until they even put up that sign warning of a hijacking hotspot.

I really hope this doesn't happen at Modders. It is a big place and it is easy to hide there inside and ambush a cyclist and if you're riding alone you'd be very isolated. 

I messaged tne reserve and they responded that there were illegal squatters on the adjacent land, not within the reserve itself.

Sometimes i wonder if it's just a matter of time though. Reassuring but still be careful.

• 4 weeks later...

rode at modders this weekend.

The place is clearly not being maintained very well and I think that you can see this in the condition of the trails.The only work I could see on the trails is when people creating new trails with their bikes at certain areas as the original trail in bad condition.

a bit sad to see as always enjoyed riding there

Yep, I'm afraid Modders is not what it was. Living in Edenvale it was my favorite place to ride. Now i travel out back to my 2nd most favorite (now my 1st) Northern Farms.

It seems the organizers at modders have simply lost interest and now the reserve doesn't care but gladly take your entrance fee. 

I have only been riding there since the start of the year, so I cannot compare it to a few years back in terms of maintenance and condition. 

Rode there this weekend, and noticed maintenance has been done over the last few weeks.  Bushes adjacent to the paths have been cut back, some new fences too. Maybe if you have been riding there over the last 3 months regularly you would notice small improvements?